Active Topics

Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
Are we getting the new Nokia drive update on the n9?
Apparently not. Real shame, especially as we started out with the better version of drive than the Lumia, now it's the N9 that is lagging behind :-(

Would have loved to have at least had the Alternative Routes feature, so needed.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
It is still way better than Sygic Mobile Maps 10 on the n900. I cannot believe I paid good money fo that app. It was like a little puppy sat beside a pile of pooh.

Drive works very well and can be closed with a swipe rather than 3 screen moves and numerous button presses

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
It is still way better than Sygic Mobile Maps 10 on the n900. I cannot believe I paid good money fo that app. It was like a little puppy sat beside a pile of pooh.

Drive works very well and can be closed with a swipe rather than 3 screen moves and numerous button presses
I still use SMM10 over the N9 Drive in my n900. Despite of Nokia Drive being newer and more visually polished and possible more helpful in indicating the right lane in complicated junctions, N9 routing is awfully twisted, even unsafe (or amusing) as telling me to go into the Hammersmith bus station in London, where only double deckers buses are allowed to enter... since my car is red, it looked like a baby bus at the time .
Near my house also always tells me to turn against oncoming traffic in one way roads, etc. while SMM10 always get it right. I live in London, not in a small lost village ffs Nokia.

SMM10, even with obsolete maps, still makes use of some sort of common sense for the routing, it avoids u-turns, warns you of speed cameras and the most importantly, you can choose among alternative routes (somehow). Pity that Sygic is not releasing the newer Aura navigation software, it looked so promising for the N9.

Back to the point, could Ovi Maps/Drive let third party companies to sell paid services like speed cameras, traffic, etc on top of their software? Although, again, those companies wouldn't bother to develop for Maemo/Harmattan...

How about some community hacks to include speed cams as POIs in Drive? anybody has tried that?

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post

I don't know about Sygic Mobile Maps 10 on the N900, but I can tell you one thing, Nokia Drive on either Symbian or MeeGo doesn't come anywhere near close to Sygic GPS!

I use Sygic alot and is the reason I couldn't resell my Nokia E7 as I knew I wouldn't be able to use it on the N9. The interface, features, and most importantly the routing is leagues ahead of Nokia Drive. I always hope one day Nokia will sort out the bad routing algorithm of their Drive application, although sadly even if they do I suppose we wouldn't see such an imporvement on our beloved N9's.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Speaking of bugs I can't get directions on nokia maps since pr 1.2. If i put an address in the right hand destination field it takes that as a search and just shows me where that is on the map. If I tap the left hand "my position" it also takes that as a search and shows me where that is on the map. I can't get the directions to work.

Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
Are we getting the new Nokia drive update on the n9?
We already had the Drive update to 2.0 earlier than the Lumia folks. With PR1.2, Drive 2.0 was inclueded already with all the new options (only routes without highways, etc. and favorites included).

Originally Posted by marrat View Post
We already had the Drive update to 2.0 earlier than the Lumia folks. With PR1.2, Drive 2.0 was inclueded already with all the new options (only routes without highways, etc. and favorites included).
I think what the OP is talking about is the recently detailed drive 3.0 which looks a big step up from 2.0 with many new features including alternative routes etc.

The N9 will sadly not receive Drive 3.0 and it sounds as though we can only expect minor tweaks/bug fixes from what we have now.

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
I think what the OP is talking about is the recently detailed drive 3.0 which looks a big step up from 2.0 with many new features including alternative routes etc.

The N9 will sadly not receive Drive 3.0 and it sounds as though we can only expect minor tweaks/bug fixes from what we have now.
But how much is Drive 3.0 different from 2.0? For all what we know it will be live traffic re-routing (however that's a feature I already loved on Symbian)

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post

Welcome to abandonia, population: N9. Have a nice day.

Originally Posted by marrat View Post
But how much is Drive 3.0 different from 2.0? For all what we know it will be live traffic re-routing (however that's a feature I already loved on Symbian)
Can't remember where I saw it but there was a screenshot shown which offered 3 different route options before setting off, it's strange but after all this time neither Nokia Drive, nor Sygic offer this simple feature that has been included in dedicated sat navs for ages(I think even NDrive has this feature for a good couple of years, although I wasn't keen on NDrive when I trialed it, preferring Sygic, Symbian this is).