Hi guys, I haven't had any response from council yet regarding my questions on the voting process. I had a look through council logs and don't think it's been raised yet. There is a council meeting on irc scheduled for 18:00 UTC today so perhaps it will be one of the agenda items. If someone is attending could they please check that it's discussed for us? Unfortunately I'll be beginning my 2 hour commute from work at that time and won't be able to attend the meeting myself.

I'm keen to hear any proposals for voting from y'all out there, as it's arguably the most important part of the whole process. Writing off the top of my head right now, here's what i see as possibilities ranked in preferred order.
  • Council voting mechanism (Preferred choice)
    PROS: Same as we used last year. This will enable us to receive 'anonymous' votes in a desirably trustworthy manner, in accordance with council voting rules, from users with a desired criteria (certain amount of karma, etc).
    CONS: It has not been confirmed either way, but the noises from council are that this option will not be available to us this time.
  • maemo.org anonymous poll for each category
    PROS: Simple to setup, anonymous
    CONS: Not as secure or trusted as council voting mechanism, unable to pro-actively apply voter criteria (number of posts/karma etc). Any voter criteria would have to be applied in retrospect, and as votes are cast anonymously it would require co-ordination between Reggie and council to remove votes from duplicate ID/non-eligible voters.
  • maemo.org non-anonymous poll for each category
    PROS: Simple to setup.
    CONS: Not as secure or trusted as council voting mechanism, unable to pro-actively apply voter criteria. Reggie required to remove duplicate IPs etc. Some users may feel put off from voting if everyone can see their choices.
  • Everyone just pm's Kojacker their choices
    CONS: PM mail box may not be large enough, may need continued filtering to receive all votes from users. Kojacker can apply any voter criteria manually by checking profiles etc after all votes cast but, as it's a manual process, this will take longer, Kojacker will have no social life for a while. No up-to-date feedback as given with a forum poll. Introduces possibility of more human error, Kojacker may succumb to bribery - hopefully of a sexual kind (females only).
  • Everyone submits a voting form/emails the maemo.competition2012 email address, from a webpage hosted away from maemo.org (possibly my blog, somewhere else..)
    PROS: We can take care of everything ourselves. No mail limit.
    CONS: Loses some 'maemo.org legitimacy'. Longer set up time. Without someone logging into their maemo.org account, there's no way to tell you are who you claim to be. Still a slow, manual process for counting/applying voter criteria. Kojacker still humanly fallable and possibly corruptable (I'd love a Ferrari)
  • We forget about voting, let the council decide the winners from the entries (least favorable choice)
    PROS: Easy
    CONS: I don't think anyone wants this (especially the council )

Please let me know if you can think of any more options, or just your thoughts on the above.

Edit:

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-08-31 at 13:02.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Hi guys, I haven't had any response from council yet regarding my questions on the voting process. I had a look through council logs and don't think it's been raised yet. There is a council meeting on irc scheduled for 18:00 UTC today so perhaps it will be one of the agenda items. If someone is attending could they please check that it's discussed for us? Unfortunately I'll be beginning my 2 hour commute from work at that time and won't be able to attend the meeting myself.

I'm keen to hear any proposals for voting from y'all out there, as it's arguably the most important part of the whole process. Writing off the top of my head right now, here's what i see as possibilities ranked in preferred order.
  • Council voting mechanism (Preferred choice)
    PROS: Same as we used last year. This will enable us to receive 'anonymous' votes in a desirably trustworthy manner, in accordance with council voting rules, from users with a desired criteria (certain amount of karma, etc).
    CONS: It has not been confirmed either way, but the noises from council are that this option will not be made available to us this time.
  • maemo.org anonymous poll for each category
    CONS: Not as secure or trusted as council voting mechanism, unable to pro-actively apply voter criteria (number of posts/karma etc). Any voter criteria would have to be applied in retrospect, and as votes are cast anonymously it would require co-ordination between Reggie and council to remove votes from duplicate ID/non-eligible voters.
  • maemo.org non-anonymous poll for each category
    PROS: Simple to setup.
    CONS: Not as secure or trusted as council voting mechanism, unable to pro-actively apply voter criteria. Reggie required to remove duplicate IPs etc. Some users may feel put off from voting if everyone can see their choices.
  • Everyone just pm's Kojacker their choices
    CONS: PM mail box may not be large enough, may need continued filtering to receive all votes from users. Kojacker can apply any voter criteria manually by checking profiles etc after all votes cast but, as it's a manual process, this will take longer, Kojacker will have no social life for a while. No up-to-date feedback as given with a forum poll. Introduces possibility of more human error, Kojacker may succumb to bribery - hopefully of a sexual kind (females only).
  • Everyone submits a voting form/emails the maemo.competition2012 email address, from a webpage hosted away from maemo.org (possibly my blog, somewhere else..)
    PROS: We can take care of everything ourselves. No mail limit.
    CONS: Loses some 'maemo.org legitimacy'. Longer set up time. Without someone logging into their maemo.org account, there's no way to tell you are who you claim to be. Still a slow, manual process for counting/applying voter criteria. Kojacker still humanly fallable and possibly corruptable (I'd love a Ferrari)
  • We forget about voting, let the council decide the winners from the entries (least favorable choice)
    PROS: Easy
    CONS: I don't think anyone wants this (especially the council )

Please let me know if you can think of any more options, or just your thoughts on the above.

Edit:
Hi kojacker it seems that the response has been lost between this thread and the Ask The Council thread, with such silly discussions there and on IRC,

Disclaimer: I'm talking without real knowledge on the technical side.

Apparently the problem is that it's not so easy to set up the voting mechanism on Maemo servers, and X-Fade is now leaving maemo.org duties, so it seems difficult to use his limited time to address this voting process.

Now, we are going to have a conf with X-Fade today before Council meeting (haven't received news from him on a lot of topics from quite a long time now) and we will discuss also about this question.

Please join us at #maemo-meeting either at 15:00 UTC or 18:00 UTC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Hi kojacker it seems that the response has been lost between this thread and the Ask The Council thread, with such silly discussions there and on IRC,

Disclaimer: I'm talking without real knowledge on the technical side.

Apparently the problem is that it's not so easy to set up the voting mechanism on Maemo servers, and X-Fade is now leaving maemo.org duties, so it seems difficult to use his limited time to address this voting process.

Now, we are going to have a conf with X-Fade today before Council meeting (haven't received news from him on a lot of topics from quite a long time now) and we will discuss also about this question.

Please join us at #maemo-meeting either at 15:00 UTC or 18:00 UTC.
Thanks ivgalvez, i appreciate the update Annoyingly I wont be able to make the early meeting either as I cant access irc from work. (I'm surprised I even get TMO, and there's no mobile signal in the office )

I understand things are difficult now with the evolving situation of the forum, but thanks for raising it with X-Fade. If it's not possible that's also understandable, the second option (anonymous poll + Reggie adjustments) would be my preferred backup. if Reggie is also on the meeting, could you discuss the possibility of him applying queries to anonymous polls for the removal of duplicate IP accounts/newly created users? Similar to what he did for the original coding competition.

If you could keep us up to date with whatever is discussed (good or bad news) it would be much appreciated - thanks again

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Seems that X-Fade might be able to handle this, however prepare a Plan B, just in case.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
VirtRanSim (Simple tool to select virtual keyboard from the range of already installed files) is almost ready, just need to package it as deb-source and upload it to Maemo Extras... No pseudo-random crashes in this version.

In file included from src/libvirtransim.c:1:
/usr/include/hildon-cp-plugin/hildon-cp-plugin-interface.h:34:22: error: libosso.h: No such file or directory
Why cannot hildon-control-panel-dev (for which I have build-dependency) depend on libosso-dev, or whatever it needs? Oh well, I just will have to add it to mine build-dependencies, though it is counter-intuitive.

The autobuilder says 'OK'. I have to test it, and then to make up an icon for it. 64x64 is the largest size required, 26x26 is the smallest, right? Not easy to make up an icon from nowhere. Off-topic: what kind of file format is .t8? Used in Martian Memory game ported to N900. Its appearance is atrocious. I am interested in making cards - and the whole appearance - a Sherlock Holmes theme. Just because I cannot stand pink letters and silly images (and Adobe Flash).

Oh well, it turns out that while it has to build-depend on libosso-dev, it must not depend on libosso, because libosso is a virtual package. By the way, what am I using as icon currently, in this XB-Maemo-Icon-26 field? Does not matter much, not yet... Have to get it working, before worrying about the icon...

It is uploaded (to Extras-Devel for fremantle) as virtransim, version 0.1.1. The only screenshot it at
http://sharesend.com/t5fe6
I will have to draw icon later. And, why is chmod complaining during the installation of .deb? Does a library (.so) need '+x' permissions in order to be able to work, or not? Should I make postinst file completely empty, then?
Attached Files
File Type: txt libvirtransim.c.txt (4.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: txt virtransim.desktop.txt (169 Bytes, 77 views)

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2012-09-02 at 13:47. Reason: Update

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
A donation by leon.anavi

Thanks!

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...ity_Prize_Fund

edit: and another one, this time by jurop88

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-09-03 at 09:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Serbia
Can someone give me link to tutorial or explain me shortly how can I put non-free package in extras-devel repository for Fremantle (N900)?

I have registered garage account, and I got privilege to upload, however I can only source to upload. At the moment I am not allowed to release source (I and my mentor are in dilemma since project on which I was working is at same time my diploma work).

Someone advised me that I should use "dput" in Ubuntu, however I am currently running on Windows. So can someone tell me is it possible to upload on Windows or I must install Ubuntu?

The Following User Says Thank You to draxcp6 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by draxcp6 View Post
Someone advised me that I should use "dput" in Ubuntu, however I am currently running on Windows. So can someone tell me is it possible to upload on Windows or I must install Ubuntu?
See:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_Extras#scp

On Windows, you may be able to use PuTTY, FileZilla or WinSCP to scp your files to /var/www/extras-devel/incoming-nonfree/fremantle on drop.maemo.org.

Edit: You will need to generate an SSH key and attach it to your Garage account first, see:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_E...load_to_extras

Last edited by ginggs; 2012-09-04 at 06:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick...
Help! Screen (touchscreen, LCD screen, LED, light sensor, front camera - everything) is disconnected from the main body. The most I can do, is take photographs (or videos) blindly and restart the whole device (speakers are fine, and incoming calls are heard, but for some reason are regarded as missed calls very quickly, no chance to catch them). How can the hardware be repaired? Where can a manual be found? Thanks in advance.
It's the same issue as
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74007

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2012-09-04 at 09:15. Reason: Search

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by draxcp6 View Post
At the moment I am not allowed to release source (I and my mentor are in dilemma since project on which I was working is at same time my diploma work).

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick...
Help! Screen (touchscreen, LCD screen, LED, light sensor, front camera - everything) is disconnected from the main body. The most I can do, is take photographs (or videos) blindly and restart the whole device (speakers are fine, and incoming calls are heard, but for some reason are regarded as missed calls very quickly, no chance to catch them). How can the hardware be repaired? Where can a manual be found? Thanks in advance.
What the heck, this thread turned into "Quick!", generic all-topics helpdesk? 0_o
---

To bring it back on-topic - it's first time I hear about "diploma work" being mutually exclusive to FOSS. No reason to have dillema about - GPL or similar license doesn't mean it stop being "copyrighted" by You, as per law. Until Your University is one of this hopeless ones, that steal student's work, by claiming exclusive rights to publishing diplomas (not legal in most civilized countries, anyway, even if written in contract), You should have no problem.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas