Poll: What do you think of console-tools
Poll Options
What do you think of console-tools

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Console-tools has been out for a little while and I fixed the major bugs, but it still seems people are having problems and I am not able to get anyone to give me repeatable problem to troubleshoot.

Anyway, the things that end up in the tread are problems, very few people actually report hey its working great, often they only post when a problem using the tool arises.

This is fine, but it ends up making me think its not working well for anyone. So I thought I would post a poll and ask some questions.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
With the old install tools, I just ran it and it partitioned the card and installed bootmenu correctly. Very simple. console-tools is a lot more complicated, and it took a lot of guess and check to make it work. I had to use pb to clone the partition non-destructively, and then pbeasy to make the boot-menu. I don't know, but install-tools was just a LOT simpler, though less useful.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Missing option: "IT SUCKS (but I never tried it out!)"

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Missing option: "IT SUCKS (but I never tried it out!)"
Good morning mr. benson, I see youre doing well,
If I had me a shotgun Id blow you straight to hell.

Grateful Dead: Candyman
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
With the old install tools, I just ran it and it partitioned the card and installed bootmenu correctly. Very simple. console-tools is a lot more complicated, and it took a lot of guess and check to make it work. I had to use pb to clone the partition non-destructively, and then pbeasy to make the boot-menu. I don't know, but install-tools was just a LOT simpler, though less useful.
Why could you not use pb to install bootmenu?

To All:

I am looking for input on console tools, whats not working what needs to be fixed, don't like it all, what do you want in its place. The problem with install-tools is that you may or may bot need to reboot, but you really always should. If the partitions are staying the exact same size, it usually works, if the partitions are changing you need a reboot. In pbeasy I force a reboot after partitioning every time. I thought pbeasy was very simple and clear, the pb script is much more involved and complicated, and does many more things. I have not heard anyone say if they are using the backup/restore features, or the pb script at all.

Anyway, I NEED YOUR INPUT! VALID SOLID REAL INFORMATION ON HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER....

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-01-19 at 23:50.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Two things: bootmenu.d support (See b-mans Mer installer)
And make it a control panel applet maybe

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Hill of Doom - Pacific NW
I tried the tool before you added pbeasy and I couldn't get it to work, but that was due mostly to my shortcomings and inability to really understand all the options that were given.

Pbeasy however worked great.

The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
My only issue seemed to be operator error (didn't select ANY drive to partion). I haven't confirmed the sucess or the swap partion yet. I've been making sure my settings/dependancies were all loaded propery before trying again (it worked the first time, I just changed my mind on partion sizes). I'll make sure to keep notes, and run the checks you listed on the main release page.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheGogmagog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I use pb and haven't look back. My system is working perfectly. The only issue I have which was mentioned in the other thread is the swap that has to be reset each boot. That is not a big issue though, since I hardly reboot. Otherwise great program, much appreciated, many thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Worked ok with me, took me sometime to figure it out (pbeasy, yes I am a bit slow) but I got Maemo booting from SD.
Sometimes the boot does weird stuff when the battery runs out and I plug it to the charger, but nothing to be worried about, yet.
I kinda missed install tools at first, but once I understood how to use console, I don't mind.
Thanks for all the work put in this useful tools

The Following User Says Thank You to eliagp For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, console-tools, initfs_flasher, install-tools