I purchased the navigation software on the 770 and therefore have a perpetual license when I upgraded to the N810?

Imagine my surprise when this morning it tells me that my navigation license has expired!

I'm also getting a network error when trying to re-inpu my license key.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by jaark; 2010-02-11 at 07:28.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Mine's working, although the licence has an expiry date on it of 2011which it always has had.

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
That's strange, after the Navicore -> Wayfinder transition licences were supposed to last for 3 years (which still leaves almost a year since the N810 first went on sale). When does the About dialog say your licence expires? Is the date on your N810 correct?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's strange, after the Navicore -> Wayfinder transition licences were supposed to last for 3 years
3 Years?? I was always under the impression it was perpetual.

(which still leaves almost a year since the N810 first went on sale).
.. or possibly no time since Navicore first went on sale for the 770. After trying again I am no longer getting network error messages but just a license expired message.
It looks like they are back-dating the three year license not from the time of conversion from perpetual to time-locked but from the time of original purchase.

Great. With still no sign of Sygic, I am up a certain creek without a propulsion device

When does the About dialog say your licence expires? Is the date on your N810 correct?
It doesn't, and yes.

Originally Posted by jaark View Post
3 Years?? I was always under the impression it was perpetual.
It was for Navicore. After Wayfinder bought them and OS2008 came along it became 3 years for both new licences and ones transferred over from the 770/N800 navigation kits.

It doesn't
It doesn't show any expiry date? That's strange... Try contacting nokia.support at wayfinder.com, it may be a simple error in their database.

It doesn't show any expiry date? That's strange... Try contacting nokia.support at wayfinder.com, it may be a simple error in their database.
It shows up as though it's completely unlicensed. If you try and do anything useful with it, it pops up a dialog offering either a free trial (doesn't work), Insert my license key (either network error or license expired) or Purchase Navigation (Server connection failed)

I am increasingly of the opinion that the 3 year license length is started from when Navicore was purchased, not from when it was converted from Navicore to Wayfinder. I bought Navicore as soon after it was announced, that would be about three years ago, so the timescale fits

I've dropped them a mail just in case, but I'm not really hopeful of it even being answered.

I've dropped them a mail just in case, but I'm not really hopeful of it even being answered.
Wow, I got a response .. yup, it's an expired license

Is anyone in the market for a N810?

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
It was for Navicore. After Wayfinder bought them and OS2008 came along it became 3 years for both new licences and ones transferred over from the 770/N800 navigation kits.
I asked Navicore Finland about this before I updated my N800 to OS2008 and they answered that the license does not expire. I have still a few months to go to see if this is true. Why would it be different with N810?

Originally Posted by jlu View Post
I asked Navicore Finland about this before I updated my N800 to OS2008 and they answered that the license does not expire. I have still a few months to go to see if this is true. Why would it be different with N810?
Your Navicore license (like mine) was perpetual, but when they were transferred to Wayfinder they changed to have an expiry. As with most proprietary software, you signaled acceptance of the new license terms by continuing to breathe.
They can (probably) get away with this due to the fact that the Wayfinder software is not the Navicore software and that therefore different license terms can be applied.

Regardless, if your maps application says 'Wayfinder' then it will expire, probably sometime this year. If you still have a valid license it shows you the expiration date somewhere on the about screen. I suggest you check that so you can get prepared and not left in the lurch like me.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Your Navicore license (like mine) was perpetual, but when they were transferred to Wayfinder they changed to have an expiry. As with most proprietary software, you signaled acceptance of the new license terms by continuing to breathe.
They can (probably) get away with this due to the fact that the Wayfinder software is not the Navicore software and that therefore different license terms can be applied.

Regardless, if your maps application says 'Wayfinder' then it will expire, probably sometime this year. If you still have a valid license it shows you the expiration date somewhere on the about screen. I suggest you check that so you can get prepared and not left in the lurch like me.
The expiration is a huge disappointment and a betrayal too since I specifically asked about this (I still got the email reply). My three-year period from the purchase of Navicore will be over in April, 2010.

It might be that Wayfinder is not very interested in replying to you (quote from http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=3985)

It is because of our new status as part of the Vodafone Group we will not be further developing Wayfinder products, beyond their current version.