Active Topics

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
The question is "what official apps"? Jolla store is a joke, mostly an android joke.
They don't have paid apps still so no woder that there's no apps there. And some of the restrictions what actually can get there is worse than google and apple combined.
OpenRepos/Warehouse is basically the serious version of the Jolla Store. Many more interesting applications, and much less junk!

That said, I don't think finally having paid apps would be of any help, because they will just keep on publishing the umpteenth note-taking Android application or the endless stream of Tajay Studios, or more apps to find out about the latest stonings in Saudi Arabia (I mean, who doesn't just love that?), with no quality control whatsoever. If I made twenty hello world applications which all had just the text in different colours, all twenty would be published. Jolla's reasoning is that they want to give everyone a chance, but to me this just sounds like a cheap excuse to make the Store look fuller than it actually is. Quality over quantity is completely lost on them.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
The question is "what official apps"? Jolla store is a joke, mostly an android joke.
They don't have paid apps still so no woder that there's no apps there. And some of the restrictions what actually can get there is worse than google and apple combined.
I've seen this argument used a lot, but paid app support is not panacea for quality apps. Both Microsoft and BlackBerry offered paid app support, and guess what? No apps. If there's nobody to buy the apps, then why bother with a paid app after all.

Supporting android apps is really the only solution for Sailfish until it reaches an install base worth worrying about.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
no, it isn't. But also expecting everything for free is not some great bussines model either. Simply, a store must support paid apps.
And supporting android (cr)apps is definitely not the way to go since there isn't any app worth installing.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Okey, if jolla make sailfishos works atleast 3-4 days without recharge the damn Xperia I will sell my FP2 and go Xperia.

My FP2 eating battery with latest SFOS. Not even hold a day. Not sure what is going on. Infact my FP2 has never hold two days. Not sure even Jolla1 did.

Is this normal for all phones this day or is this a SFOS issue? In my case I used cutespot for an our or so the rest of the time I did not use it et all. Infact it seems drain more battery when not used when thinking about it.

Get the grip over the damn OS those making a OS that don't drain battery like crazy could take the market from Android. An OS that drains more battery than Android/IOS is just epic fail.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Do you have developer mode + ssh enabled? At one time I noticed a significant drainage, turned out it was a hack attempt on ssh port 22 coming from the mobile network, which of course consumed quite some energy.

The password was strong enough, no further harm done, but I simply disabled ssh for now, which made the problem disappear.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Also you can simply change the port to something else, in such case.

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
i mean the big companies, fb, whatsapp, instagram etc etc making official ports. yeah these apps are completely pointless but the mainstream love them. so its a cross roads really, if they want to be big in that way then they need to poach them, if there happy being a niche platform, keep going the way there going

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
yeah.... I agree on that. If Jolla would manage to get top 5 of the most popular social (cr)apps that would change the game quite a lot. Not that I care since almost all af them have aleternative(s) in OSS world but people are stupid and will continue tu use the spyware but for sure it would be good for platform. After all, others also thrives on ignorant sheeps.
In the meantime they can work on , I don't know, navigation. Because every other platform offers that. And they do have probably the best maps arround. Oh, and give us the phone app that actually is a phone app, not just a call log with posibility to bring up the dialer and then make a call.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I notice PySide is alive again. Imo being able to create an app by zipping up a few Python scripts would be a big help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Oh, and give us the phone app that actually is a phone app, not just a call log with posibility to bring up the dialer and then make a call.
Absolutely. I was just explaining to my parents how to work with Sailfish, and everything went well when I showed them they could open up People and call and send messages from there. Then they asked "how can I call a phone number that isn't in my contacts?" and I had to tell them, well, you have to open up the Phone application, then you need to pull down and select the option to show the dialer, then finally you can enter the phone number you want.

Also, good luck explaining you're supposed to pull down or up to answer or ignore a call instead of simply pressing a button, but to end a call you do have to press a button. I don't mind this way of doing things, but it sure isn't something everyone will find logical. Is there a patch to show buttons instead?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x