Active Topics

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Actually, the search on Internettablettalk.com / talk.maemo.org is a very frustrating thing. I have been around here for years and understand that searching via internettablettalk.com's website will dig up old entries before the cut over. And when you search via talk.maemo.org you will see the new entries since then.

Here's an example of how upsetting the search can be:
  1. Type "viliv" into the search from Internetablettalk.com
  2. Now type "viliv" into the talk.maemo.org
  3. You will see different results

I understand why this happened but noobe's would not. To help them, we should put that at the top of each sites search results.

Please move this to "community" since community is for "website and community discussion."

Jeez....the nerve...

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Actually, the search on Internettablettalk.com / talk.maemo.org is a very frustrating thing. I have been around here for years and understand that searching via internettablettalk.com's website will dig up old entries before the cut over. And when you search via talk.maemo.org you will see the new entries since then.

Here's an example of how upsetting the search can be:
  1. Type "viliv" into the search from Internetablettalk.com
  2. Now type "viliv" into the talk.maemo.org
  3. You will see different results

I understand why this happened but noobe's would not. To help them, we should put that at the top of each sites search results.
Except noobs are extremely unlikely to ever come across the TabletTalk search. And most of them probably are N900-oriented and wouldn't get much value out of the Tablettalk posts.

The better solution is a good custom Google search as in my sig or, better yet, as Reggie has recently announced:
It's worth a bookmark.

(I know -- I repeated myself; I'll stop.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Thank you Chemist.
Take a look, you see what this thread is talking about at the end? It would be hard to find something over here if this thread would be like 2000 posts.
That's what i meant.

The Following User Says Thank You to dinis_2003 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi,

How about: When you start a new thread the search would do the search _before_ starting new thread (but after post or save msg button). And it would show best similar posts or threads to user asking "are you still sure you want to start a new thread?"

So we kind of make this search mandatory. Of course this doesn't work always, but may limit some duplicate threads.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by juxxxer View Post
Hi,

How about: When you start a new thread the search would do the search _before_ starting new thread (but after post or save msg button). And it would show best similar posts or threads to user asking "are you still sure you want to start a new thread?"

So we kind of make this search mandatory. Of course this doesn't work always, but may limit some duplicate threads.
It already does that in regards to thread titles... doesn't seem to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
It already does that in regards to thread titles... doesn't seem to help.
Damn. We should have search/some kind of 'AI help' for posts too. So that this search engine would have prevented me to posting previous post because this was generally known fact.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I'm afraid this is going to get worse. Over the next few weeks and months a whole pile of new people are going to turn up here.

And you know what? They don't want to use the search function. They want to ask their question, and have a human being answer it. I'm afraid the patience of the long term members is is going to be tried. And I don't think there's really any answer except weathering it until is subsides.

Oh, and I call Godwin, too!

Edit: I had a bit of a hunt aaround and found these:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33766

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33751

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33549

The phrase "Physician, heal thyself" springs to mind.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-11-14 at 11:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Why don't we start a thread about this? i've had a look but can't find one.