Posts: 95 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ the Imperial Homeland

I disagree completely with boycotting the IPhone. I think that there could be a treasury of great tablet-friendly sites courtesy of the minions of Steve Jobs worshippers. Nokia really needs to get on the ball and make the N800 as compatible as possible with the sites that are being created with the Iphone in mind. There's a new blog at CNET with a bunch of IPhone "apps" that I tried with my N800. Several worked beautifully, some worked okay, and some wouldn't work at all. I'm not a programmer by any means, but as an end user, I think Nokia and our community here would benefit from being IPhone website compatible.

Click on this example (containing a link for more apps) and see what I mean. Simple, but functional web apps.

http://awasteofpixels.com/iphoneapps/amazon/amazon.php

It's not going away, so make it a part of the Nokia package. If Apple wants to limit 3rd party developers by insisting Web 2.0 is a sdk- that's a door wide open to competition... right???

That's got to be the stupidest thing I've seen on the net. "Waaa, it's locked to AT&T!" They asked the other cell companies, everybody else said no thanks. "Waaa, it's not open to developers!" Not right now, besides that's all they need some dufus making some app that screws it up. It's a cell phone, it has to work, alot of people only have cellular, no land line. That's all they need is some grandma falling down and breaking a hip and can't call 911 because her new chuzzles game borked the phone.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by mjparker75 View Post
I'm not a programmer by any means, but as an end user, I think Nokia and our community here would benefit from being IPhone website compatible.
Agreed entirely, unfortunately it's going to require a WebKit port. But then, Nokia have one...

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Agreed entirely, unfortunately it's going to require a WebKit port. But then, Nokia have one...
i don't think so. I could be wrong but, i believe the iPhone "web apps" are just html + javascript, or ajax. So if its done right (if......) it should work fine in Opera.

but thats a big If....

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wolfman-K View Post
i don't think so. I could be wrong but, i believe the iPhone "web apps" are just html + javascript, or ajax. So if its done right (if......) it should work fine in Opera.

but thats a big If....
Theoretically, perhaps. However iPhone "app" writers are only going to test in Safari. Similarly, there are subtle different interpretations of the DOM and CSS specs between Opera and Safari/WebKit.

Finally, I think some custom DOM events are being added to support iPhone apps, and I would be surprised if they also hadn't added WHAT-WG's offline storage support.

WebKit would have the advantage of being a supported, developed, open source browser core.

Short version: some iPhone apps will work with Opera straight off; others won't.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I not sure if "boycott" is the correct word to be used... It implies not buying things that you might maybe even want to buy to achieve a larger goal.

The point is that with all we know about the iPhone, most of us probably wouldn't want it, anyway. Whatever is said in the article vees linked to is correct and confirms my rejection of this gilded cage device. It may be useful and A Good Thing(tm) to spread the word, yes. But if people really want to spend that much money on a hype, let them do it. Don't call for a boycott.

heh boycott the iphone. i see where they are coming from, but ATT made some infrastructure changes to accommodate Apples "user experience", nobody else wanted to do. There is no monopoly or shady business practice here, AT&T simply said, sure we'll let you use our network in exchange for the huge customer base.

If anything we should boycott the n800 until they fix common bugs

Last edited by sherifnix; 2007-07-09 at 21:59.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
If anything we should boycott the n800 until they fix common bugs

I don't think there's enough user base to cause them to fix things faster.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
They sold a million of 'em... It's a little late for a boycott, LoL.

The iPhone will be available for other carriers boycott or not. I agree with mjparker75 though, and have voiced this opinion before.

The demand for web content that works well for the iPhone's page layout, lack of J/S, and AT&T's slow transfer speed will be a benefit to N800 users.

I'm not talking so much about commercial applications...I just believe a few of those 1,000,000 new users will figure out ways to present and use information that they need and we can all use.