Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
would it be possible to port maemo 5 to another device like was done with nitdroid?
Nokia will probably never release another one, reguardless of what Elop said to me in an email (yes he actually does reply to his own emails, however vague it is)

but as we all know, it is by far the best os around and i would really love to have a HW upgrade. to be honest i would happily have everything externally the same and just have the cpu amongst other things upgraded.

i currently have the LG Optimus 3D, Nokia Lumia 800 (which was a very generous gift from Nokia, some of you here will know what i mean .) and N900

of the 3 phones i still prefer the N900 but how long can it last??? i'm on my 4th device now due to damage i've caused them and soon enough theres gonna be none left

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
It's deen disscussed numerous times in the past.
It cannot be done because maemo5 source code belongs to Nokia.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
It's deen disscussed numerous times in the past.
It cannot be done because maemo5 source code belongs to Nokia.
maemo5 is open source if i remember correctly, problems are closed source bits that are closely tied to the whole maemo system

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
maemo5 is open source if i remember correctly, problems are closed source bits that are closely tied to the whole maemo system
Yeah, that could be the case. I don't know the details but the outcome is one. It cannot be ported.

Originally Posted by matthew maude View Post
i'm on my 4th device now due to damage i've caused them and soon enough theres gonna be none left
4th device?! WTH are you doing to them? S&M creepy stuff?

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2012-06-27 at 13:38.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
would it be possible to port maemo 5 to another device like was done with nitdroid?
Nokia will probably never release another one, reguardless of what Elop said to me in an email (yes he actually does reply to his own emails, however vague it is)

but as we all know, it is by far the best os around and i would really love to have a HW upgrade. to be honest i would happily have everything externally the same and just have the cpu amongst other things upgraded.

i currently have the LG Optimus 3D, Nokia Lumia 800 (which was a very generous gift from Nokia, some of you here will know what i mean .) and N900

of the 3 phones i still prefer the N900 but how long can it last??? i'm on my 4th device now due to damage i've caused them and soon enough theres gonna be none left
Google Mer and Cordia.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Yeah, that could be the case. I don't know the details but the outcome is one. It cannot be ported.

4th device?! WTH are you doing to them? S&M creepy stuff?
a few drunken antics led to a few broken screens, i managed to break 2 in 2 weeks :O then i broke my 3rd screen by having something else in the pocket with it and vodafone decided not to repair it seen as i had the LG and they wouldn't insure an older device after an upgrade!!!

tw@'s... it was a different story when i upgraded to the N900, they wasnt gonna relpace the first screen because i hadn't moved the insurance from my N97 to my N900

anyway

i thought the guys doing the cssu had access to all of the maemo os?

its stupid of Nokia not to do an upgrade, all we need are a few HW upgrades which they could put in the origial N900's design.

how many of their devices from 2009 still have such a strong following

Nokia should employ the cssu team to produce an upgrade seen as they're focusing on WP

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
its stupid of Nokia not to do an upgrade, all we need are a few HW upgrades which they could put in the origial N900's design.

how many of their devices from 2009 still have such a strong following

Nokia should employ the cssu team to produce an upgrade seen as they're focusing on WP
Nokia wouldn't make too much (any?) money off retooling their production lines, even if they did somehow magically still have all the Maemo 5 source.

Let's face the facts, Nokia's not going to make us another N900. And no, Maemo 5 in its current state is impractical to port, or even upgrade certain core components.

The future for us, post-Nokia devices is made of off the shelf Android devices running Mer+Cordia or Nemo.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
The future for us, post-Nokia devices is made of off the shelf Android devices running Mer+Cordia or Nemo.
Or that sweet BB10 OS device with qwerty.
It's coming!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement

its such a shame that they just dropped it like thy did. i was told by someone at a Nokia care point that it was more to do with its openness than anything else.
he said its because its too easy to rip-off apps and thats where the money is.
WP is far too limited and it looks like thats all they'll be offering soon