Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
This is the first/alpha release of Value International Call Router (VICar - Catchy name I know ) for Harmattan. This application is already available for Fremantle. You can check this thread for fremantle version.

Vicar simplifies calling international numbers using calling card(s) and/or VOIP services. You can create rules in Vicar to call a VOIP number/calling card first and then send the international number as DTMF tones. Vicar calls can be initiated from Harmattan contacts or dialpad (see screenshots below). This application uses your cellular voice plan talk time (minutes).

For example, if you are regularly calling UK numbers from US using a VOIP service number 18002223333, create a rule like this:

For numbers starting with: +44

Route call via: 18002223333

Depending on the VOIP service, you can the select the format to dial the international number and prefix/suffix if any.

The application is hosted on Maemo Garage. License is GPL.

Download:
Current version deb and sources are available here. I am planning to use apps.formeego.org for future releases.

All the warnings associated with alpha software apply here too.

Known Issues:
  • Application Manager might display "Installation Interrupted" error in PR1.2. To workaround this error, enable developer mode, download the deb file and install via command line using dpkg.
  • First time installation may need reboot for calls to work and/or for icons to be displayed properly.
  • Only the VOIP/Calling card number (not the international number) is displayed in call log/history.
  • You will see a "Call Ended" message before a new call is initiated to the VOIP/Calling card number. This is expected behaviour. The international number is NEVER called directly.
Attached Images

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

Last edited by scifi.guy; 2012-04-10 at 22:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Does not install on N9 firmware 1.2

The Following User Says Thank You to biz78 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Originally Posted by biz78 View Post
Does not install on N9 firmware 1.2
Thanks for pointing this out. It seems downloading the deb file and using dpkg (with dev mode enabled) command works fine but some how installing via application manager doesn't work. I am trying to find out a fix for this.

Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. It seems downloading the deb file and using dpkg (with dev mode enabled) command works fine but some how installing via application manager doesn't work. I am trying to find out a fix for this.
Ok installed thanks.
Now I can't get to use it. My VOIP provider is Rebtel - So I have a local access number. Say I dial +44.... the call imediately ends and calls the local access number at which it keeps asking me to enter the international number I wanna call. I thought it worked like this

Local acess #, p, p, international #
but instead it just dials the local access # and ends there.

Am I doing something wrong?

Originally Posted by biz78 View Post
Ok installed thanks.
Now I can't get to use it. My VOIP provider is Rebtel - So I have a local access number. Say I dial +44.... the call imediately ends and calls the local access number at which it keeps asking me to enter the international number I wanna call. I thought it worked like this

Local acess #, p, p, international #
but instead it just dials the local access # and ends there.

Am I doing something wrong?
Hi biz78,

Can you run this command (as user), try calling via Vicar again and PM me the dbuslog.txt file?

Code:
dbus-monitor --session > dbuslog.txt
Also, send me the screenshot of the "Edit Rule" screen. Specifically, I am looking for Dial number in this format field.

is this available in Nokia store

Originally Posted by achilles333 View Post
is this available in Nokia store
No. You can download the deb file from Maemo Garage.

The Following User Says Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
No. You can download the deb file from Maemo Garage.
Downloaded & Failed to install from application manager. Can you please provide me dpkg full command to install??

Originally Posted by achilles333 View Post
Downloaded & Failed to install from application manager. Can you please provide me dpkg full command to install??
You can download the .deb file to /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads and install using this command. Make sure you have developer mode enabled before executing these commands.

Run this command as root (using devel-su):

Code:
dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/vicar_0.7-0maemo6_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Hi,

This is a cool app. Thanks a lot. I created a rule which says for numbers starting with +44, use access number xxx-yyx-zzzz . But, I also noticed that it creates entries for numbers not starting with +44 , for eg I have lots of local numbers stored which are like 408-xxx-zzzz, and it shows an option to call these with ViCar. Is it possible to make it show the option only for numbers with +44 in the beginning ie international numbers ?