Active Topics

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Who says it's for bash?

cd and rm are certainly implemented in busybox.
Yes, but [ % ] is not implmented, therefore you always "live".

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Yes, but [ % ] is not implmented, therefore you always "live".
He's talking about the 4th post from this thread

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
It is pretty obvious that the first command just delete all the non-hidden files on maemo.

I am wondering does a "sudo gainroot" necessary before the command ?
Obvious..maybe, if we were all coders..i am not, as many other members..unbelievable...it should be explicit that was dangerous
I am not so pissed off just because:
1.backupmenu rocks
2.what you made me do to my phone yesterday i did the same to your mom and your sis the day before!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by ed_boner View Post
...putting this stupid codes without warnings...
Pasting or typing this code (singular), or any code for that matter, in your n900 terminal, without checking first what it actually does... And next blaming others for that omission... Priceless...

The only virus that will harm the N900 (afaik) is the manual virus: Delete all your files. Then convince all your friends to do the same.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by ed_boner View Post
Obvious..maybe, if we were all coders..i am not, as many other members..unbelievable...it should be explicit that was dangerous
I am not so pissed off just because:
1.backupmenu rocks
2.what you made me do to my phone yesterday i did the same to your mom and your sis the day before!
dude, you are being a prick. there were warnings all over the place not to do what you said you did. also the code was flawed and could not work in your case because it was for bash, not ash, so stop whining.

i understand i you tried to make your point pretending you bricked your device, but when you start talking about family members i might get offended.

Last edited by zdanee; 2011-11-09 at 15:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
dont know anything about these warnings but i appologise, i was pissed off and rude.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed_boner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
It is very unlikely that N900 can be infected with viruses. Remember that N900 runs on an ARM architecture which is not the same as x86 that you have on desktops. It also comes with linux kernel (when using the default OS known as maemo) which is really unlikely to be targeted.

There are however worms, trojans and maybe even viruses written for other OS such as android for instance but it is unlikely those entities are able to target maemo due to the way maemo is not designed in the same way. In saying so it does not mean that running nitdroid (android for N900) means that you won't be infected either, well you can be if you happen to stumble upon such entities.

To put it frankly, people who develop such malicious programs would not be willing to target niche platforms like N900 or maemo itself. They would be targeting major platforms like iOS (on Apple iPod/iPhone), android (many manufacturers rely on android), symbian (quite rare considering that symbian has tightened itself up upon first instance ages ago).

Viruses, trojans, worms, etc are almost non-existent on maemo platform. The probable most fearsome attack would be user executed commands. maemo does not come with `self-protection' mechanisms. When I meant `self-protection' mechanism is such commands or programs that the user is unsure of what it could do to the system could actually have a detrimental impact. Other platforms would generally have such protection in place so should you unwisely tried to destroy your critical files whilst the operating system is running, it will most likely prevent you from doing so. Remember, maemo is more or less a proper linux being shoehorned into a handheld device, There's not many linux distributions out there that would by default come with an adequate enough protection to counteract let alone be configured properly by the end user.

Thus this is also more or less the same reasons as using developmental programs such as from extras-{testing,devel}. When you were warned that it may cause instability or otherwise undesired operations on your device it does not mean anything else but just that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
in short, only microsoft platform get viruses due the fact they focus on features and colorful interfaces rather than security.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Viruses can be done in Python, no? Wouldn't such viruses ( or is it "virii"? I never remember) essentially be crossplatform even across different processor architectures?