After reflashing my N900 and installing all the desired apps, I had about 73 MiB of space in the rootfs filesystem. About two months have passed and my rootfs space is slowly decreasing everyday, about 100 kiB or less per day. Now I have only 69.3 MiB. I think that there should be some logfiles that are growing inside my rootfs filesystem, or other data that the OS is not properly cleaning after every boot. Did you know about this behavior?

Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
After reflashing my N900 and installing all the desired apps, I had about 73 MiB of space in the rootfs filesystem. About two months have passed and my rootfs space is slowly decreasing everyday, about 100 kiB or less per day. Now I have only 69.3 MiB. I think that there should be some logfiles that are growing inside my rootfs filesystem, or other data that the OS is not properly cleaning after every boot. Did you know about this behavior?
Common issue for applications installed from Extras-Devel.
There are loads of threads on rootfs space here have a good read through them.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I do not have any app installed from Extras-devel. Indeed, I have read many of the threads (not all of them) and I found no response to my question.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I do not have any app installed from Extras-devel. Indeed, I have read many of the threads (not all of them) and I found no response to my question.
Quick reply...
Open a file manager which has access to the root directory ("/") of the N900. Like, "filebox".
Go to root directory ("/").
Sort the folders and files (biggest first).
Find the largest files.
Post their names and sizes here, so that others could advise on whether these files can be deleted, and how they were created.
Best wishes.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@ikerrg,

I guess you don't just want to delete/move the bigger files, but want to know what files are being created/grown.

As a rough starting point, you might want to play with find:

Code:
$ find -mtime -1
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I meant -mtime -1, not -mtime 1

will display files (from the current directory, recursively) that have been touched/modified in the last 24h (or calendar day, not sure).

In theory such files should be found on /var (/bin, /sbin, /usr, /lib should essentially be read-only, except maybe for /usr/share..)

Do you regularly (daily) update the dpkg database (apt-get update). That may explain the slow increase in rootfs use (don't get me started on dpkg/apt-get and why it's an enormous piece of sh*t).

Last edited by reinob; 2012-11-12 at 17:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@ikerrg,

I guess you don't just want to delete/move the bigger files, but want to know what files are being created/grown.
You are right, reinob.

Using your command, many modified files appear in system
directories, and between them many %gconf.xml. I have changed your command to also filter them by size:

Code:
find -mtime -1 -size 1024k
but I have not found any modified file of that size (also no luck with 512k).

I usually update the repositories searching for updates, but not in the commandline but in HAM or fappman (same as apt-get anyway). The downloaded repositories (mainly Extras) shoud grow a bit along the time, but not so much I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
@reinob

I remember that I had one unexpected reboot of my N900 (maybe because a high overclocking of the DSP that I have already changed). Do you know if a reboot could cause that some temp files are not removed? Is there any crashlog register in maemo?

I think I have found the problem. Comparing two snapshots of my rootfs partition made with backupmenu, I found the growing file: the history of the console shell (for root access user) The file is /root/.ash_history and it is more than 3 MiB big. I have not found the history command in maemo in order to clean it, so I think I can manually delete it to reset the history.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I think I have found the problem. Comparing two snapshots of my rootfs partition made with backupmenu, I found the growing file: the history of the console shell (for root access user) The file is /root/.ash_history and it is more than 3 MiB big. I have not found the history command in maemo in order to clean it, so I think I can manually delete it to reset the history.
You can delete the history file without any issues. Actually, you may be one of the few lucky guys where the busybox shell history works properly. There is/was a long-standing bug of history not been saved

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
my N900's rootfs free storage is even lower it is at 45 mb and decreasing. im using CSSU-Thumb with KP51.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post: