Active Topics

Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resourc...jsp#heading-24

The grant confers “the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States” and its territories.

You don't need to sell to violate the patent. Even making the invention or using the invention can be prohibited.

You will get into trouble if you offer your keyboard in the US (since Swype is patented in the US). I am not sure if Swype is patented elsewhere but it wouldn't be too difficult to do a quick search (my own search seems to indicate that it is only patented in the US).

In other words, you should be fine to release your keyboard to anywhere but the US. My guess: Host it on a non-US based server and also put a disclaimer that it should not be used in the US.

I could be smoking pot and be way off my mark here but that's my humble take on the matter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Well, as mentioned earlier, software patents are not valid in Europe and Jolla is not available anywhere else. That should also play some role.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
so are you releasing it?

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Thanks for all your answers and comments (I didn't expect so many )

My question about patents was more about the hosting part, but I think i'll do as Droll suggest (and ask openly to any hosting company involved). tell me if you have any hosting solution suggestion.

@coderus: i think you mixed up patents & trademarks

Btw i've got another question about licensing: I'm using several modified Jolla keyboard files (all based on the nemo keyboard files). They come with Nokia open source licence:
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted ... retain the above copyright notice ...
Are there OSS license compatible with these terms ? (for the whole package, i'll obviously keep the original copyright notice for these files). Or should i use a separate license for my files ?

After all the feedback i got, i'm going to release ASAP. I still need to package this (RPM & language files), add a simple app to switch keyboards (you'll want to go back to Jolla's), find hosting & stuff ... As this is a week-end project expect a release maybe in a couple of weeks (depending on weather).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@eber42
Thank you for putting time and effort into this!
I have question about languages that the keyboard will support - will there be possibility to add your own language file(dictionary) or create it by adding words as you type to a "empty" language DB(dictionary file)? Will there be a possibility to use already existing word bases(dictionaries) in Jolla?

Last edited by zlatko; 2014-07-02 at 10:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
do release the sources as well so that others may also contribute to your work.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resourc...jsp#heading-24

The grant confers “the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States” and its territories.

You don't need to sell to violate the patent. Even making the invention or using the invention can be prohibited.
This has to be some US-patent thingy, since in Europe you cannot enforce a patent on something that is selfmade for own use. That would be pointless anyway, wouldn't it?

Whether a SW product or self-made piece of hardware, I really want to see how this is done in the US
Is the police going to come to your door (everybody's door? how often? once a month or every friday?) and raid your home for illegal things you might have made in your kitchen/bedroom/garage???

I know it is a police state but how are they going to get enough men to do that across the 52 states...

Originally Posted by droll View Post
You will get into trouble if you offer your keyboard in the US (since Swype is patented in the US). I am not sure if Swype is patented elsewhere but it wouldn't be too difficult to do a quick search (my own search seems to indicate that it is only patented in the US).

In other words, you should be fine to release your keyboard to anywhere but the US. My guess: Host it on a non-US based server and also put a disclaimer that it should not be used in the US.

I could be smoking pot and be way off my mark here but that's my humble take on the matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
... add a simple app to switch keyboards (you'll want to go back to Jolla's),
Doesn't Sailfish already provide the ability to easily switch keyboards? Or is your implementation not compatible with that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This has to be some US-patent thingy, since in Europe you cannot enforce a patent on something that is selfmade for own use. That would be pointless anyway, wouldn't it?

Whether a SW product or self-made piece of hardware, I really want to see how this is done in the US
Is the police going to come to your door (everybody's door? how often? once a month or every friday?) and raid your home for illegal things you might have made in your kitchen/bedroom/garage???

I know it is a police state but how are they going to get enough men to do that across the 52 states...
I think they will apply economics: is the damage / cost worth sending police to the 52 states?

anyway I don't support the patent system either. it's been blatantly abused!

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Why not just release it at www.openrepos.net ?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype