Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
you guys are forgetting fairphone is small company, and price for each component is higher,,in addiction the price in increased by complete transparency and human sustainable supply chain..i find it an added value and it would be surprising if someone who claim for opensource (with its philosophy both as availability for all and transparency) doesnt understand this
I don't think anyone is forgetting that but it doesn't change the fact it's still an expensive midrange phone.

You're paying about twice the price of a 2 year old Sony Z3 for slightly worse specs so it's fairly obvious there's a whole bunch of overheads that their model imposes.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
The price to pay up-front for the Fairphone is higher than the average for same class of phone (*), but on the other side if in future it will be possible to replace only the broken components or upgrade the obsoleted ones, that may allow some savings.

(*) although the comparison should not be done with megafactories that are churning out millions of phones, at unknown labour conditions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
The price to pay up-front for the Fairphone is higher than the average for same class of phone (*), but on the other side if in future it will be possible to replace only the broken components or upgrade the obsoleted ones, that may allow some savings.
Good point, although that depends on Fairphone's ability to keep those modules available and at a fair price, no pun intended.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Not seen anyone comment on this, yet:

14:48:01 <AnttiSaarnio> Intex project will continue, we have confirmed that yesterday and there will be new Sailfish phone coming.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
Not seen anyone comment on this, yet:
That isn't quite the same thing as saying that there will be a new Jolla phone coming.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
That isn't quite the same thing as saying that there will be a new Jolla phone coming.
True, but it does strongly suggest a non-Intex one, which may mean it's more widely available. Wasn't sure where else to post it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
True, but it does strongly suggest a non-Intex one
No, it doesn't.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
No, it isn't. But considering all the HW issues people are having I don't see this as such a bad thing. After all, jolla phone is cheap made in PRC piece of HW. We don't like/want it because of premimum feel of golden frame that adds nothing to the device anyway and one will throw it away after contracts expire. We want sailfish to go on, all HW today is POS anyway.
If Intex can leave sailfish as is and without bloatware and some custom launcher I'm fine with it and I will gladly buy one.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I sure hope Intex will not f'up the phone with only 1GB of ram or with a <300ppi screen. I almost got myself a Z5 Compact, but decided to hold out for a while if Saarnio's promises come true.

The Following User Says Thank You to Painkiller For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2