Active Topics

Meeting held 2015-11-03 on FreeNode, channel #maemo-meeting (logs)

Attending: Bernardo Reino (reinob), Jussi Ohenoja (juiceme), Peter Leinchen (peterleinchen)

Partial: Rudiger Schiller (chem|st)

Absent: Halit Bal (HtheB), Gido Griese (Win7Mac)

Summary of topics (ordered by discussion):

• TMO forum swearword filter
  • Maemo Coding Competition 2015
(Topic TMO forum swearword filter):
  • General feeling is that there should be no need for filters like that, unless for example mandated in some countries/locations.
  • There however seem to be some people who like to have it, so we should have an election to decide what to do about it.
  • This would also be a nice pretext to have a test election to train new Councillors to handle elections.
(Topic Maemo Coding Competition 2015):
  • Discussion on competition basic rules, whether to have categories based on device type or application type or something between..
  • The Council will continue to refine the idea further before presenting to the community.
Action Items:
  • old items:
    • The selected Code of Conduct (KDE) still needs to be published on TMO.
    • Looking into automatic calculation of election results ...
  • new items:
    • Arrange Council status on TMO for new Council members

Link: Original article.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CommunityCouncil For This Useful Post:
Wow, who would've thought you can have normal CoC without involving microaggressions and reverse racisms and stuff after the whole github fiasco, kudos

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil View Post
(Topic TMO forum swearword filter):
  • General feeling is that there should be no need for filters like that, unless for example mandated in some countries/locations.
Yeeeeey!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yeeeeey!
Topic for next Council:
TMO swearword Competition 2015: to train new Councillors to handle elections.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
this is unacceptable i.e swearword termination
swearword is to be there to keep forum clean it helps by moderating automatically so posts are better to read anywhere

i know we all are adults here and we can moderate ourselves but i think the swearword system is not ment for that purpose i.e censorship or related it is there to weed out unnecessary words typed in exitement hype rage and the likes so it is not restricting freedom of speech too

people who feel SWEARWORD should remain please holler and point out some good points

thats all i can type at 6 am chilly morning

next task for the council //
improve the tmo login system it simply refuses to login at times and ....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
+1 to that nokiabot

The odd time it is a humorous diversion in a sandbox-like environment ...on discussing swear words.

But I believe that talk of doing away with ...even a flawed profanity check system in place that cannot catch all words of questionable intent...is not an answer.
Fixing it is...adding words to the list is....
getting rid of the profanity check isn't.

Many would self police themselves well here without it.
Many would not.
The numbers of either are irrelevant.
What is relevant is the shock value of even a few people using profanity so easily to derail, sabotage, and otherwise harm meaningful dialogue and discourse ...far far too easily.
What is relevant is that it would only take a few people to poison this place.
In the end it is about having a welcoming and comfortable environment that people can participate in.
If profanity is simply allowed casually here...
I believe it won't take long for things to go sour ...
If such flawed filter systems as we have are kicked to the side...
or we end up having people in minority or majority subverting the profanity checks to vent in an ugly way upon one another...
then I for one would have to seriously consider leaving this place.
It would be... I think... the only reason why I would leave...
Proper considerate behavior for one another is essential here.
The swear filter and our moderators are the only preventative tools we have here...taking out of the equation .. half our tools to keep the place clean, welcoming and friendly...doesn't help.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-11-19 at 03:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
-1 for nokiabot and endsormeans. The filter is unnecessary and counterproductive. If we want to keep it in some form, how about a popup when you hit Send. "You used the word donkey. Are you sure you want to post it?"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
+1 to pichlo.

We might also want to consider an opt-in/opt-out filter. People who haven't opted-out (and possible not logged in users, e.g. search engines) will get swearwods filtered out *on-the-fly*, i.e. while serving the page.

Users who have opted-out of the filter will get the "raw" content.

I think we'll soon be ready to organize an election, if only for the fück of it. Oops.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
We might also want to consider an opt-in/opt-out filter. People who haven't opted-out (and possible not logged in users, e.g. search engines) will get swearwods filtered out *on-the-fly*, i.e. while serving the page.

Users who have opted-out of the filter will get the "raw" content.
Interesting idea, however I fear that the forum SW does not fold to that easily...
It sure is possible to do something like that but might require rewriting a lot of code!

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I think we'll soon be ready to organize an election, if only for the fück of it. Oops.
Based on the strong reaction of community to this topic I know we now need an election.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Half joking proposal:
would it possible to train the swearword engine to detect words combinations that often generate controversies and OT (like "Silica" and "opensource" ) and put up a gentle warning like "Please reconsider to submit your comment if it's going to lead the thread to OT" ?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo council