Active Topics

Great thing happening once again and im glad it still alive...

Today's mobile industry is just a repetition with a few tweaks + trowing ton of $$$ on marketing = profit
So bunch a dump-a.s.s just following it keep buying same thing over and over again.

My approach will be "simple" - by reinventing mobile device - next big thing - built your own device :

And dont forget about QWERY keyboard please

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Losses in 2013 of $21 Million USD
Cashflow negative
Canonical IPO... still delayed.
Ubuntu Touch sales... 25k (unofficially)

If you said RedHat, I'd agree. Canonical is still losing more money than gaining.
Mark Shuttleworth has said Canonical could be a much more profitable company by just focussing on their servers (as used by Amazon, Netflix and Uber) and dropping desktop/mobile/IoT but he has a vision he wants to pursue. I think he's got balls, I hope it pays off for him.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There's other pointers that the demand for Ubuntu Touch is rather low compared to even the Tizen phones.
This is what Mark Shuttleworth said earlier this month:

"I think that it's important we carefully shape the emergence of Ubuntu so that it goes to people who are going to love it and contribute to it and be part of the ecosystem. I think it would be a mistake for us to try to go too fast because if we put it in the hands of people who don't care about Ubuntu and don't want to be part of it, right now they would be disappointed, we would be disappointed and the whole thing would be a mess."

I think once Ubuntu Touch is ready for the mainstream Canonical's success in servers will give them a credibility with manufacturers that maybe Jolla didn't enjoy.

As for Tizen, hasn't it done better than expected in the few markets it's been released? I've heard it performs considerably better than Android on equivalent hardware. I also like the fact Tizen's native API is plain C and I believe they're working on an automated bindings generator too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Since this went a bit above people's heads.

Look around. Who's locked out of, or at risk of Google or Apple locking them out of mobile devices effectively by providing their(Google/Apple) own services?

Local providers of content as an example, local search engines, etc. Mobile network providers. Spotify. That's a lot of cash in the bank there and a burning need to keep sustainable.

How could you leverage this?
Local search engines? Is that an actual thing (or is this only in the fantasy future)? Do people go to say, (how local should we go?) poloogle/warsawduck to search for things in this specific area? Never had problems with DDG(or bing or google) to find local businesses, phones, addresses, it's all there. Apple worked the network providers (tomi ahonen is quite correct on this one), no idea how spotify is affected. Content providers will go to the user-providers, and with the duopoly (yes, there is a duopoly both in the imagined future and in reality, 5% that spends 20x more than the 95% is the reality, just like 1% owning more than 90%, capitalism) that is hard to break into. Not much of offering if you can give them <0.1% of possible business (maybe if on much better terms than goog/aapl, but margins get even thinner then)

edit: And just a check on reality: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-90/?tid=sm_fb
In 2014, just 160,000 families, each with a net worth in excess of $20.6 million, counted themselves among the wealthiest 0.1 percent of households. Together, they owned nearly as much as everyone from the very poor to the upper middle class combined -- 90 percent of the country, some 145 million families in total.
The fact apple tapped into the haves while google into have-nots is just that, a fact, one group can spend on applications, the other relies on ads and pirating. Would this be different in our imagined future? Maybe with Sanders as president, red-scare seems finally over in the US when reality hits (or just hang it like in south park)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-11-21 at 09:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Local providers of content as an example, local search engines, etc. Mobile network providers. Spotify. That's a lot of cash in the bank there and a burning need to keep sustainable.
Wasn't this Mozilla's pitch for FxOS?

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps
tld;r: a group of talented people get together today, in 2015; to disrupt mobile, what should they do?
How do we measure the success of the mobile system (whatever that is) this talented bunch of people would release?
  • a worldwide commercial success, which means a device that pleases the masses (might not be that different from what's on the market, but it would build reputation as mobile maker and give a financial foundation to the company to build something really disrupting sometime later)
  • a technical jewel, perhaps interesting only to geeks, high performances and unseen-before functionalities but at a high price, i.e. low volume
  • a best-in-class for customer satisfaction, i.e. a device that might not stand out in a spec sheet comparison or get praises for its innovativeness, but its OS is solid and kept up-to-date and its maker has a highly praised h/w support policy
  • a device+OS that has a high rate of adoption among a specific niche of users because it fits their particular needs, which also implies that if its maker would like to extend its market and cover more niches it would need to come up with a strategy of modular h/w and s/w in order to tailor more variants
  • an innovating device+OS that opens an entire new market, e.g. some new interesting form factor for a wearable device capable of replacing a pocket smartphone

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
How do we measure the success of the mobile system (whatever that is) this talented bunch of people would release?
  • a worldwide commercial success, which means a device that pleases the masses (might not be that different from what's on the market, but it would build reputation as mobile maker and give a financial foundation to the company to build something really disrupting sometime later)
  • a technical jewel, perhaps interesting only to geeks, high performances and unseen-before functionalities but at a high price, i.e. low volume
  • a best-in-class for customer satisfaction, i.e. a device that might not stand out in a spec sheet comparison or get praises for its innovativeness, but its OS is solid and kept up-to-date and its maker has a highly praised h/w support policy
  • a device+OS that has a high rate of adoption among a specific niche of users because it fits their particular needs, which also implies that if its maker would like to extend its market and cover more niches it would need to come up with a strategy of modular h/w and s/w in order to tailor more variants
  • an innovating device+OS that opens an entire new market, e.g. some new interesting form factor for a wearable device capable of replacing a pocket smartphone
Something that displaces the current state of the mobile market over a few years; ie, makes the current state/duopoly/solutions almost obsolete.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Something that displaces the current state of the mobile market over a few years; ie, makes the current state/duopoly/solutions almost obsolete.
Glad to have you back, can you look at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=73 ? What exactly economies did you have in mind? Replacing yelp? Really not sure what local businesses can save a global corp

edit: ok, going to assume it's all 'nice PR talk to sell a company/idea to VC' with no actual base in reality, shame

Last edited by szopin; 2015-11-21 at 10:55.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
It'll have to be something that answers a different question than the current mobile market does. So far as I can tell, no matter what you think about them personally, Apple and Google are serving their respective markets very, very well. Apple gives their customers that Rolls-Royce feel with everything they sell; and Google provides power and flexibility for a very low cost.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If you want to disrupt the market you don't do it with OS you do it via service/services. It not easier but that is how the next gen of rules will be after symbian, android and iOS. Symbian-->now android, iOS --> future Netflix, facebook, spotify and different new groups formed by services.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If you want to disrupt the market you don't do it with OS you do it via service/services. It not easier but that is how the next gen of rules will be after symbian, android and iOS. Symbian-->now android, iOS --> future Netflix, facebook, spotify.
Yeah, that's all these consultant companies for BYOD repeat again and again: applications, applications... leave OS to us(US), looks like only disruption would be on OS and HW level in security (edit: +network layer, but you maybe can do that in Russia, EU and further west, forget it, even russia will have problems with that having hw from western or south korean companies)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device