Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
(Sorry about the accidentally deleted message, I thought I had replied to something extremely old, and now I realize that it was new, it's just that there had been two new pages of posts in the meanwhile ).

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
What matters more? glibc/systemd; or control over the experiences that is the thing you actually touch; spread easily across the world to everybody?
Neither of the two. Only a minority care about these two aspects overall, as seen through history. And generally, there is a lot of overlap.

I define "control" as customization, more than privacy. No one cares (it seems) if the manufacturer collects all the information on your device every second, as long as there's "that checkbox to disable it" and a minimal assurance the checkbox actually works. i.e. no superfish-like scandals.

Few people will care further than that. And this subset of people basically includes all OSS-fanatics. Definitely not "disruption" fans; more like the opposite.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
for me instead,privacy stuff and not selling my data or pulling me targeted ads is enough to switch from android..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
To be honest, smarphones and tablets are already very boring. Wouldn't it be more interesting to come up with “the next big thing” instead?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
To be honest, smarphones and tablets are already very boring. Wouldn't it be more interesting to come up with “the next big thing” instead?
Absolutely!!! And, what would that be, pray tell?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Maybe we should forget about devices and operating systems. Presume that everyone already has the devices they want, mobiles, tablets, ultrabooks, laptops, workstations. Instead think about how, on these platforms, you'd like to have your data organised and presented. How your data interacts with other data, how it's processed by services, how those services are organised. We should be able to presume that whether you own a device, or are a guest on someone elses', that you should be presented with your data how you want it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
There's 70+ positions available for Tizen work at Samsung here in Warsaw.
Without a context (e.g. when the positions have been opened) somebody may argue that nobody is interested in working on Tizen (or for Samsung)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
This might sound a bit heretic, but what if you could stuff your UX experience (reusing a bit of middleware, but not all the privacy invading **** and with no UX) on top of any Android hardware out there with less than 1 day worth of porting effort?

.. Except it would require not using a Mer-based (or for that matter any GNU/Linux) OS and leaving your favourite technologies behind, for the easier spreading.

That'd be a lot easier, wouldn't it?

What matters more? glibc/systemd; or control over the experiences that is the thing you actually touch; spread easily across the world to everybody?
Yes, except in that case can't you use hybris to let you run glibc stuff too? You could basically decapitate Android, and replace the head with something more GNU like, package manager based.

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Absolutely!!! And, what would that be, pray tell?
I have no idea. Had I known, I'd already be filthy rich.

However... what happened to the concept of a mobile computer? That the N95 and later the N900 tried to be?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Yes, except in that case can't you use hybris to let you run glibc stuff too? You could basically decapitate Android, and replace the head with something more GNU like, package manager based.
Like Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Mobile, Mer/Nemo + glacier + Hybris, etc. As of yet the adoption is minimal, only really people interested in hacking on devices: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

It's also expensive to maintain an entire linux/glibc distribution like Mer, Sailfish, Ubuntu, etc. When all we are really interested in, is being able to change the way people use things, the big game changer in the computing space.

Though, if you want to use vim/emacs, screen/irssi, Debian/Fedora/SuSe installations, heavy package managers and big applications. We can chroot these things. They don't require things like, sensor integration, etc.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
The head? Surely that's the bottom.

How much are we decapitating here? Launcher replacements are ten a penny but no matter what nice ideas you see in launchers, you end up with Android apps and material design still rearing it's cheery but ultimately simplistic head.

How much of Android can we keep low down and still have a completely different UI?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device