Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I am convinced.
Can not wait to order my Turing Phone again now that it is confirmed.

In happy anticipation, i built myself a Turing OH to test if my trousers can handle the sharp corners of a high end metal sailfish device.
Wifi reception is actually quite good, 3g is dropping a bit.
Attached Images

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
To me this start to look like a real thing.
https://youtu.be/E7wR_FrSA8s?t=826

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvicol For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
New androidpolice article, still dripping dubious-cynicism. Might let it dry a bit before reading.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06...luation-model/

choice quote:
So, a smartphone startup that measures its pre-order customer base in the thousands is sending a stock of kind-of-finished beta product to those customers, allegedly, and in exchange for their loyalty (and that of their credit card authorizations), is promising to upgrade them to the "good" version of the phone later in the year. For free. That sounds perfectly believable. But not really.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
New androidpolice article, still dripping dubious-cynicism. Might let it dry a bit before reading.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06...luation-model/
I have to agree with them as I think it's absolutely nonsensical to give customers a phone and then swap it for the same phone with a different chipset few months later.
Either the first iteration is not going to work that well and then it's better to have your customers wait for a little longer, rather than having subpar devices on the market potentially damaging your brand (provided you had a valuable one), or the first iteration is going to work well and then there's no need to upgrade in such a short time frame in the first place.

Also, considering Turing's price, their customers might get a hint that the margin is so high that it's still profitable for the company to make two phones instead of one, which doesn't send a good message either.

Of course, this is all valid only if we assume it's not vaporware

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-06-29 at 17:08.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
maybe that one will have USB port and headphone jack

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Those texts detailed that the Turing phone is still alive and well and that initial units will ship starting July 12.

Well, there is a bit more to the story. The email continues to explain that said handsets are only "evaluation units" and that the customers will receive a new Snapdragon 820-powered version of the phone later this year, free of charge.

Holy **** ... if anyone is stupid enough to fall for this, then they deserve everything they (don't) get.

That's hilarious.

I'm incredulous that Jolla are supporting and enabling these people ... or wait, I'm not in the least.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2016-06-29 at 22:07.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
maybe that one will have USB port and headphone jack
The 'evaluation' unit or the 'eventual' unit? Cause if it's the first one (and maybe only one) there's a bazillion snapdragon 801 phones available, just waiting to get a semi custom case slapped on - for 'evaluation purposes'. What with unobtainium.being so hard to work with and all...

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I'm incredulous that Jolla are supporting and enabling these people ... or wait, I'm not in the least.
Define "support" - if money, do you have any source saying that Jolla is giving them money? if selling SFOS licenses, I don't think that Jolla should deny them from that right - if anything, they should be happy they're selling. I am making a massive effort to avoid making a parallel with real life on the latter by the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Define "support" - if money, do you have any source saying that Jolla is giving them money? if selling SFOS licenses, I don't think that Jolla should deny them from that right - if anything, they should be happy they're selling. I am making a massive effort to avoid making a parallel with real life on the latter by the way.
The delusional nature of many on this forum is really quite spectacular.

That's all I have to say.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone