This may be a dumb question, but will the N900 work with a pre-paid SIM card from t-mobile? I'm assuming that it will, but I'd like to know for sure.

I've never had a cell phone contract and don't really want one. Right now I have an N810 and a cheapo cell phone using prepaid t-mobile. I'd like to consolidate devices with the N900. I figure that I can get web access through wifi hotspots when needed and make cellular phone calls using my existing prepaid minutes from t-mobile.

ye should work fine

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I had the same question, and so I went looking for a T-Mobile card in Amsterdam two minutes after getting the summit loaner.

Yes, it worked fine.

I even made ca voip call to the U.S. from the card when I wasn't around a free WiFi access point. But I can't figure out what the internet options are in the U.S. with a prepay SIM.

Roger S

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
For prepaid sim cards you either have to get the 9.99 unlimted data or 24.99 unlimited data for smartphones. Many phones are detected presumably by imei lookup as smartphones but some like my e71 I can still use the 9.99 plan on. iphones and blackberrys are definitely blocked on the 9.99 though in my personal experience. I have an iphone 3g and BB 8320 that I also use for dev and testing on t-mobile prepaid SIM, and they are both blocked for internet(I just use wifi on those now for testing)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
For prepaid sim cards you either have to get the 9.99 unlimted data or 24.99 unlimited data for smartphones. Many phones are detected presumably by imei lookup as smartphones but some like my e71 I can still use the 9.99 plan on. iphones and blackberrys are definitely blocked on the 9.99 though in my personal experience. I have an iphone 3g and BB 8320 that I also use for dev and testing on t-mobile prepaid SIM, and they are both blocked for internet(I just use wifi on those now for testing)
Are these plans pre-pay plans? How does that work? Do they just debit your account at the begining of the month?