Active Topics

No seriously I hate it, the entire name that is. Why in god's green earth do Intel and Nokia think calling something meego would be cool. As a name it is quite atrocious to both pronounce and hear ... it does not inspire confidence or desire.

I get the rationale; meego ... sounds exotic, and these teeny bobbers love their wierd exotic names. Well to the old farts at Nokia and Intel, listen up 'MeeGo' isn't cool quite frankly and should be used as little as possible. As a naming scheme in the background amongst techies, sure go for it but to the public please cease and desist before names get out of control.

Both Intel and Nokia have hammered us with their Linux brand names. Moblin and Maemo, this branding has already established it's presence on our collective psyche's. To be honest they sound cool, and can be market ready as they are already established.

Now what becomes of MeeGo? Well consider it a compliance layer. Maemo 6, with MeeGo compliancy ... now when marketing it you can downplay the MeeGo part and still call the product Maemo or Moblin. It is after all a compliance layer that is being built, so wy not just call it what it is.

Last edited by MoJo; 2010-04-07 at 00:24. Reason: Original was titled in a way that would be percieved as flamebait

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Can you please not choose such a flamebait title in the future?

I understand that the name is ridiculous, and many others agree, but this is just -begging- to start a needless flamewar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Well I edited it to "I hate the name MeeGo", hope the board updates to it.

i dont really care for the name, as long as it works, than thats all that matters!

The Following User Says Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Its just a name to me. If it works well Ill use it.
its a bit pointless complaining about a name, if the product is crap then fine moan away but moaning about the name???

better things to do.....

they could call if maepoo for all i care. as long as it works and works well then im cool.

True, the ultimate test is functionality. But why MeeGo, they had two perfectly good brand names to call it and they chose one random one from left field.

A name is important when it comes to marketing ... Maemo and Moblin are established not well recieved yet, but still established. This makes brand confusion, and a name is a prime indicator of a company who has a direction. Naming it Maemo or Moblin would mean they are confident behind a product, this speaks no confidence ... like a sticker badge only placed as an afterthought. The OS being an afterthought is the message I get.

A name with no heritage, is what MeeGo is.

Well they couldn't leave it Maemo or Moblin, because it is not either one of those. It's a merger of the two and as a result is something totally new.

This does not speak of no confidence by any means.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have noticed that the powers that be often pretend to share power, but when there is something fun to do like naming something, suddenly it becomes "impractical" to share the fun with the unwashed masses. I have seen this tendency on this site. So, it was "impractical" to ask for public input on the name before naming it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i really disliked the name MeeGo at first but now we've had time to get used to the brand, it as grown on me and feels natural now like its always been around and spoken of for years

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
meego hates you sir ..

Tags
leaving room for worse, meeleavin', meetrollin & meeflamin, megoing