Active Topics

I've looked around and don't see any posts talking about NaCl on our phones. I'd like to know if anyone has compiled chromium for arm targeted at Maemo/Meego.

If it worked it would give us access to some really neat stuff. The unity3d game engine compiles to NaCl and that would be a great way to get new games on our phones.

The Chrome Web Store would essentially be a whole new app store for us.

I know we cant host Chromium in our repos (last i checked anyhow) but if this is a good way for us to get new apps I'm sure we could host debs or scripts somewhere else.

It would also get our phones on the front pages of all the tech blogs and that's always fun.

Easy Deb gets me access to Chromium 6 from Squeeze. Wheezy arm has version 17.x but I am having trouble with getting it. So I would love to hear what any experiences that others may have had using Native Client if they have gotten or compiled Chromium with it enabled.

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
There was a maemo port of chromium but I doubt google lets us use the chromium web store with that version (somewhat old) of chromium.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Yes, previously Chromium version 5 was ported to maemo, but then removed from maemo.org repos due to patent politics. That was before the native client technology was available a well.
I have no idea if the automatic update patent that was in question is still in question.

Also it is possible to use NaCl programs without going thru the Chrome Web Store.

I'm happily using Chromium on N900 via EasyDebian, for a long time. Extensions from store are also installable.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I personally prefer to use opera on my n900 over chromium. I want chromium for the Native Client abilities (not extensions).
Unfortunately EasyDebian uses the Squeeze version which is 6 if recall correctly. Wheezy has the current version 17 (but I don't know if it is compiled with the flags to enable native client in the arm repo).

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Here you'll find Ubuntu 10.04 armel packages for Chromium 10:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/a...romium-browser

In general Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian Squeeze packages have similar dependencies since they were released roughly at the same time. This means packages should usually be interchangeable and it might work in Easy Debian but there may still be discrepancies in the dependencies.
Therefore, don't try to install these packages unless you know exactly what you're doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Most Ubuntu-packages > Karmic are compiled with thumb2, which cause random reboots, so they are not interchangeable...

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Here you'll find Ubuntu 10.04 armel packages for Chromium 10:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/a...romium-browser

In general Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian Squeeze packages have similar dependencies since they were released roughly at the same time. This means packages should usually be interchangeable and it might work in Easy Debian but there may still be discrepancies in the dependencies.
Therefore, don't try to install these packages unless you know exactly what you're doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mankir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mankir View Post
Most Ubuntu-packages > Karmic are compiled with thumb2, which cause random reboots, so they are not interchangeable...
Do you know the reason for that? I think I encountered similar problems when testing a Wheezy armhf chroot. I suspect some DSP instabilities to be the reason even though I didn't change any DSP settings.
But then I have too little knowledge about the hardware and the software for any qualified conclusions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Wasn't this recently remedied with the recent omitting of ARM errata in KP50?
Changelog:

kernel-power (1:2.6.28-10power50) fremantle; urgency=low

* Disabled errata 430973

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: