Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
You won't see any any Android device which is not having a CPU less than 1Ghz. With such a fast processor any OS will work fine. But look at N900 even at 600 Maemo works smoothly, Maemo / MeeGo utilizes the hardware more efficiently compared to Android
Actually, it is just yet another shame on Nokia decision making. They used for "flagship" N900 not very good CPU and then say that Maemo can't be better than competitors choice!

(Android actually runs faster then Maemo. But some manufacturers choose run graphic without acceleration due to CPU price list and software development efforts and that choice requires a fast CPU without any GPU)

Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
You won't see any any Android device which is not having a CPU less than 1Ghz.
Of course you will, many people have been running android on their N900s.

The Following User Says Thank You to exo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
However, it doesn't do a difference to original statement - Android and Maemo are similar and Android succeess crushes any speaches that WM is more suitable for sucess on mobile market.
You can't be further from the truth. Maemo is in almost every way different than Android, they are similar only by the name of their kernel, and even then Google stripped out a lot of the one going into Androids making it increasingly difficult to upstream.

If they were any similar, I'd be running Android now and Maemo would be a fuzzy, albeit warm memory.

They used for "flagship" N900 not very good CPU and then say that Maemo can't be better than competitors choice!
N900 was never mentioned to be a flagship, not even a mass-user device, and its hardware was more than adequate for the time of its conception (early 2009, it was HW complete long prior to its release).

Android actually runs faster then Maemo. But some manufacturers choose run graphic without acceleration due to CPU price list and software development efforts and that choice requires a fast CPU without any GPU
On the same hardware - no way. No matter how good VM you build, no matter how optimized its JIT pathways are, you can't beat native execution. And manufacturers didn't choose to run non-GPU accelerated graphics on their Android devices (original Droid has the same GPU as the N900, yet its not used for UI acceleration) - Google chooses that for them. Android does not support GPU acceleration (it will, eventually, they keep putting it off for each new version). Of course, they'll conveniently say that the manufacturers should include their optimizations all by themselves if they want to accelerate their UIs, but that is just to mask the original problem - that Android is still just a glorified virtual machine. GPU acceleration hooks should exist in gfx drivers (just like those exist for video acceleration), and then there would be no problem, but that makes writing drivers longer and would require a good revamp of the Dalvik stack which Google seems to put off for years now.

Please inform yourself prior to making statements such as these.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
You left out an option, "Nokia erects a lifesize gold statue of Mr. Elop in the lobby of Nokia HQ and town is renamed Elopoo in his honor".
Elopoos on Finland

Is this Nokia speaking or MS?

Nokia: 'Our first priority is beating Android'

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
You can't be further from the truth. Maemo is in almost every way different than Android, they are similar only by the name of their kernel, and even then Google stripped out a lot of the one going into Androids making it increasingly difficult to upstream.
Not true. Google does not strip anything from Linux kernel, it actually add some drivers to kernel. It is not Google who deleted that stuff from mainstream kernel and that is a reason why you don't see some new fancy features in Google's kernel.

However, it is a separate topic.

N900 was never mentioned to be a flagship
At time when I bought N900 it was positioned as a most powerful Nokia device. If your interpretation flagship is differ - sorry.

Android does not support GPU acceleration (it will, eventually, they keep putting it off for each new version). Of course, they'll conveniently say that the manufacturers should include their optimizations all by themselves if they want to accelerate their UIs... like those exist for video accelleration and then there would be no problem.
Well, your description here is close to truth. However, it is choice of manufacturers how much money they want to put copying open source. But again, back to original issue - you (manufacturer) chooses spend money on CPU instead of investing money into GPU acceleration - then it is your decision.

Last edited by egoshin; 2011-02-14 at 08:09.

Originally Posted by TimusEravan View Post
Is this Nokia speaking or MS?

Nokia: 'Our first priority is beating Android'
Did he actually come on stage swinging like a chimp chanting "Developers, developers............. *Whispers into microphone* "Errrrm...I forgot the words, Steve......... Oh yeah, thanks............" "Devepolers, devepolers, devepolers......"

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
My favorite commentary was ... because ... this calmly listed all the strengths and advantages of Nokia phone hardware and explained all the strengths and advantages of WP7 software (which I wasn't familiar with before).
Nokia seems to bring a lot more to the table than WP7.

# Windows Phone 7 is amazingly fast and responsive while also being unique
If the guy has previously only used WMx then he probably has reason to be surprised at the speed.

# Windows Phone 7 is rock solid stable and after using it since July 2010 I can confirm it is the MOST stable mobile operating system I have ever used
Ditto

# Windows Phone 7 gaming rocks, Zune is fantastic, multiple Exchange support is solid, Office integration is great, and developers are building apps
Who cares about gaming and zune. Only real "advantage" is Exchange and Office, and only by "virtue" of MS controlling and locking those.

# Email on Symbian blows, but on Windows Phone 7 it absolutely rocks and I prefer to use my WP7 smartphone for email handling over even my Outlook desktop client
I'm not sure whether that's more of a comment on the state of desktop Outlook than the perceived goodness of WP7 email.

In summary a clueless commentary with no content.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
On the same hardware - no way. No matter how good VM you build, no matter how optimized its JIT pathways are, you can't beat native execution.
..and you can't beat ASM. But whats the point of traveling 55 mph when 45 mph gets you home too. Saving 3 minutes?

Symbian was written from the ground up for embedded devices whereas Linux was not. Doesn't mean much anymore now.

Of course, they'll conveniently say that the manufacturers should include their optimizations all by themselves if they want to accelerate their UIs, but that is just to mask the original problem - that Android is still just a glorified virtual machine. GPU acceleration hooks should exist in gfx drivers (just like those exist for video acceleration), and then there would be no problem, but that makes writing drivers longer and would require a good revamp of the Dalvik stack which Google seems to put off for years now.
In 3.0 AFAIK, and it requires the entire graphics server to utilize the GPU. Even in Linux desktop land this part is only recently taking the right direction with Wayland.

From a practical point of view I don't have tearing on my Android device. I did have tearing on my Nokia N900.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Helsinki Stock Exchange just opened (20mins ago)...and we are going down..haha :| Fck idiots.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org