I would also want to say *BIG THANKS* for Nokia.

Yes, even I got invitation for N900 discount. Not decided yet will I apply for it or not (need to check cash state).

Why "even I"? Some of Maemo people know my opinions about it. And it does not stopped me from buying N810 for full price. I also have 770 (got it for free from Nokia guy with words like "sorry, we are out of N800" I sort of ignored all previous developer programs (or maybe sent mail when the 770 one was done).

I played a bit (very bit) with N900 during ELC-E conference. A bit too heavy for me but keyboard is even usable (I though that it will be worse) and system feels more advanced then Diablo (finally more proper Contacts application).

Will I use it as a each-day-phone instead of my Nokia E66 (Symbian)? No idea yet. I know that I will have some bugs to check on it (bugs and blog posts about Maemo (or Nokia) gave me most of karma). From what I saw there is a Polish translation of Maemo5 so some bugs will be harder to check.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Before leaving I point people to http://www.linuxuk.org/2009/10/maemo-summit-2009/

This is from me, a long time contributer to maemo, a 770, n800, n810 and now n900 user. No the n900 is not for me but .. well read the above.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Citing that page:
* In Germany, this offer does not apply to the Nokia N900,

I wonder what the reason for that is ...
If the offer is valid before Oct 21st and they explicitly state that it's not valid for N900 in Germany (go figure!), would that mean the device will ship next week ?

Just spreading some rumors....

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
The EXACT same thing happened to me when I tried to make my MO account.
I posted my steps here in case anyone wants to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
You need to publish your Python web framework in extras; you need to blog about it on planet; you should find a way of packaging your web apps (weblets? ;-)) as Debian packages (with a Depends on the framework) and publish those in Extras.
Packaging web2py for Maemo ? I would never have thought of that, but it's a great idea !
The real added value, if I could pull it off, would be a visual start/stop dialog (or control panel applet).

I'm more sceptical about packaging the webapps themselves though, as they're really web2py apps, and its built-in deployment scheme is so much easier...

I'm not into blogging for the sake of it either -- so far I'd managed to not even *start* one and abandon it :-)
However the notion of a maemo-specific one is different ; I could use it as a soapbox for my pet peeves, turning my Berlin presentation into a miniseries, and maybe going on to PyQt, which I'm looking forward to try out on Maemo5. I just need to find the energy :-)

Thanks for the advice Jaffa !

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
qwerty12: I answered your question about what you do if you don't have a company name: Make one up! I think that qwerty12 is a perfectly good company name, why don't you start it up this second? Who is going to be able to show that it's not legitimate? It IS legitimate. No one said the company had to be registered with the state or national government or anything like that.

A lot of the squabbling on this thread is on common-sense matters. It seems obvious to me that it is being said that this process is not over, so any people who are seemingly left out by this process unfairly can discuss this with their community representatives, with Nokia representatives, or they can just try prayer .

And the people complaining that they can't get registered: it can be difficult. I eventually got registered. Just have patience and some faith in the process. As Bob Dylan would say, "now ain't the time for your tears."

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The jealousy some experience during such a surprising event as this one is unhealthy. Look at it from this angle: it is a surprise, an event of serendipity. Just like N900 prototypes from Maemo Summit were a surprise in this case whether you're eligible is also a surprise. I'm sure many of us were and are saving up for full price of N900, and meanwhile feel good for those who did get the N900 prototype on loan or get a discount. If I understand correct its now 300 EUR instead of 500 EUR; hence a 40% discount, that is 25% more than the Twitter discount referenced to in this thread. Lets feel happy for those who are eligible to any program in past, present, and future. The flaws of karma system existed before today, and different thread is for fixing that. For solutions for individual cases we also have proposals in different thread, and the donation solution doesn't need public attention it can be resolved via PMs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
...if you don't have a company name: Make one up! I think that qwerty12 is a perfectly good company name...
Would anyone have a problem with using "maemo.org" for the company name field?

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Would anyone have a problem with using "maemo.org" for the company name field?
Why don't you just write your own name to company name. It's that simple.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The price might change depending on the country. I have asked the price in USA.

(...)

If you have specific questions about practicalities in Forum Nokia's end feel free asking to the email address provided
Sorry if I'm missing legitimate questions in the middle of the many posts about something else.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: