Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
Isn't it easier just to check if any rule is marked and in case not, mark the "Default rule" to blue?
It would be easy, but it would IMO be misleading also.

An arbitrary example:

Rule 1: 22:00 - 06:00 Profile silent
Rule 2: 06:00 - 16:00 2G on
Default rule: Profile ringing, 3G on

So default rule would be shown as blue during 16:00 - 22:00. The problem is, that default rule has actions for the other times also. 22:00 - 06:00 Rule 1 only sets silent profile, but from default rule 3G is activated since no other rule during that time set the mobile mode. 06:00 - 16:00 Rule 2 only sets 2G, but since during that time no other rule sets the profile then the profile in default rule is activated.

So if I only showed blue bar during 16:00 - 22:00 for default rule, I'd be giving the impression that it's actions are not applied in those other times. But that is not the case here.

Did that example clear my worry at all or did I just muddy the waters further?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Did that example clear my worry at all or did I just muddy the waters further?
No, you didn't. Now it's very clear to me. It sounds to me that the blue boarders does everything more complex and this is not the best way to show what your great tool is able to do!

May be you should consider to list the current activated setting with the respective rule name in another window screen.

I faced to some GUI inconsistence. For example the Profile screen shows a big help text for "Restore previous profile". But "Rpp" is mostly used in all other setup screens. How about a new help button for the common settings or just to remove the text?

Another inconsistence: Why the Mobile network mode has not the possibility to restore back?

And finally I have a suggestion for the next version:
The Setup screen of a rule is now very large. How about to group some of the settings?

Profile ->

Network ->
BlueTooth ->
Mobile network mode ->
Account availability ->
Background connections ->
Telefon ->
Flight mode ->
Power saving mode ->
Stand-by- screen mode ->
Custom action ->

Last edited by JLo; 2012-04-20 at 08:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
No, you didn't. Now it's very clear to me. It sounds to me that the blue boarders does everything more complex and this is not the best way to show what your great tool is able to do!

May be you should consider to list the current activated setting with the respective rule name in another window screen.
That is a nice idea, but unfortunately it's too much work for me at the moment. I'll need to find some solution that is implementable with little changes to the current implementation. Maybe trying to put the help text at bottom to be descriptive enough is the only thing I can do (?).

But even if that change would be there now, I do consider the blue bar very useful, at least it has been for me. With the blue bar I can with a quick glance see what rules conditions match currently.

I faced to some GUI inconsistence. For example the Profile screen shows a big help text for "Restore previous profile". But "Rpp" is mostly used in all other setup screens. How about a new help button for the common settings or just to remove the text?
I used to have that same kind of help text in other actions too, but the repetition was too much IMO so I removed it from other places than the profile. I thought it is good to be left somewhere, to explain to users how the restore previous functionality works. My idea was the same that you propose, that I'd replace it eventually with a more generic help button that I can include in each page.

Another inconsistence: Why the Mobile network mode has not the possibility to restore back?
Because no one has requested it yet . I've just saved some time not to put it there unless someone needs the functionality. I think it will get there anyway eventually, but faster if someone needs it really.

And finally I have a suggestion for the next version:
The Setup screen of a rule is now very large. How about to group some of the settings?
I know... the length of it sickens me. I have many UI related things I'd like to improve. But as I have very limited time to work on this project, I've had to choose between implementing new functionality and doing the UI plumbing work. So I've delayed the UI work.

But I have thought about that reorganization. I have two ideas how to solve it currently (and I am interested what solution people would prefer).

1) Reorganize the actions into groups like you showed.

2) Keep the flat list, but initially hide all other actions except 2-4 that I deem as most commonly used. Instead there would be "Add more" button or something like that, where you could select more actions to set-up. Once an action that was initially hidden is defined, it will become visible on the main edit page. One option would be also to not have any initially visible actions, but only button "Add action". Another, later option could be to have a settings page where user could himself define what he considers his "favorite" actions that are shown initially.

I'm currently liking the solution number 2 more, but it's a bit of a work.

Personally I don't have a problem with the way the blue bars are used currently (including the default rule).
I find it a really efficient way to glance and see what's active.
Having said that I don't have alot of rules and they aren't very complex - maybe it's different with a longer list.....

In terms of reorganizing the structure I tend to be a follower of 'whatever works'!

The Following User Says Thank You to WhitP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by WhitP View Post
Personally I don't have a problem with the way the blue bars are used currently (including the default rule).
I find it a really efficient way to glance and see what's active.
Having said that I don't have alot of rules and they aren't very complex - maybe it's different with a longer list.....
Good to know. I understand why JLo suggested what he did, but it's just quite a bit of a work. I guess I will have to see how many have problems with the current scheme and then worry about it later if it seems to need work.

I did one final modification to the blue bar that maybe helps a bit. The default rule shows now the blue rule, but only if default rule has any actions specified.

I'm aiming at pushing the current version today to Nokia store.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Slovenia, Ljubljana
Can it be added function for lockscreen-or sleep creen? mode for clock wich is to brith at night and I must cover the sensor to shut down the to brith clock at night.
So profile can start from 23:00 to 8:00 with out the clock for example..

Originally Posted by drvar View Post
Can it be added function for lockscreen-or sleep creen? mode for clock wich is to brith at night and I must cover the sensor to shut down the to brith clock at night.
So profile can start from 23:00 to 8:00 with out the clock for example..
The next version will have this (Stand-by screen enable/disable).

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Slovenia, Ljubljana
Thank you!
this will be great function

Originally Posted by drvar View Post
Thank you!
this will be great function
You're welcome. The thanks is more appropriate to give to Ferdinand Mayet, he contributed the code. Hope he sees this .

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Fixed version:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/~ks2877/profi...-rc2_armel.deb
Hey man wsup, I'm still unable to download via the link above, any easier way?