Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
also think of how many cell phones can't load talk but can use email.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, so I have a central GMail account, and I have several e-mail addresses forwarding to this account. I also use this account to send e-mails from these other accounts. However, I get an error e-mail saying that my central gmail account isn't registered, so I can't send the message. But I have set my e-mail address to the accepted address!

If this can't be changed, you'd better warn people about it. You can't use gmail to send e-mails from other e-mails that you own.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Yes you can. Go to settings > Accounts. You can add another e-mail address, it'll send an e-mail to that address to make sure it's actually yours, and you can then send e-mail from all of you addresses. I do the same thing. I have three e-mail addresses that all forward to one, and I can send e-mail from any of them, all through gmail.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
OK, so I have a central GMail account, and I have several e-mail addresses forwarding to this account. I also use this account to send e-mails from these other accounts. However, I get an error e-mail saying that my central gmail account isn't registered, so I can't send the message. But I have set my e-mail address to the accepted address!

If this can't be changed, you'd better warn people about it. You can't use gmail to send e-mails from other e-mails that you own.
penguinbait.com is hosted by gmail,

Open your account, go to settings on top.

select Accounts

Click "Add another email address you own"

Then add the email address you want to use. Then you will be able to send as that user, you can select that email ID from the dropdown box when composing a new email. I could only get this to work on gmail ((webmail) no clients worked. You can also set which is the default from the settings.

a little slow
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-12 at 00:24.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
truejournals and penguinbait: that's what I do. I've got three addresses registered with GMail too. And I select my e-mail address from the dropdown. This method works everywhere else. But my email posts get rejected by talk.maemo.org because my gmail address is not registered here.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
penguinbait: that's what I do. And I select my e-mail address from the dropdown. This method works everywhere else. But my email posts get rejected by talk.maemo.org because my gmail address is not registered here.
I didn't know until I tried that I had my old work email address in the system lol

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
truejournals and penguinbait: that's what I do. I've got three addresses registered with GMail too. And I select my e-mail address from the dropdown. This method works everywhere else. But my email posts get rejected by talk.maemo.org because my gmail address is not registered here.
And you are doing this in gmail (web client) not an actual email client right?

Mine is working fine, You joined the group here too right?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

qole, try it now. It was set to a strict setting that it was bypassing the reply-to address and rather using the actual source email address.

But my email posts get rejected by talk.maemo.org because my gmail address is not registered here.
That sounds like talk is looking at the Sender: header instead of the From: header
(the Sender: header will show your gmail address, the From: header will show your configured address, i.e. the one you want.

It works now, thanks Reggie. Another interesting problem: if I send an e-mail with a subject line that exactly matches an existing thread, it will start a second thread with that title rather than attaching it to the existing thread. Perhaps not a huge deal, but I think it would be better to attach to an existing thread rather than start a new one.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread