I think some here are confused and are blaming Nokia.

Really meego.com is owned by the Linux Foundation and... WTF? They are supposed to be the ones who always fight for Open Source and all that jazz.

Seriously!?

Let's face it the only 'ecosystem' (I hate using that word...it's become dirty) that MeeGo could possibly have at this point is the open source community one.

Otherwise what we're really going to end up with is A) Nokia Phones using Nokia's OVI store, B) Intel based phones using Intel's AppUp (which would likely be x86 based, so wouldn't work on ARM phones anyhow, of course I could be wrong on that) C) every one else... possibly also having their own store with their own 'Apps'.

So the community one could be the only truly multi-platform one that would work on ALL MeeGo phones (since with open source a simple recompile is usually all that's required going from ARM to x86 or the other way. Exception is usually emulators).

Linux Foundation, you have seriously made a ******ed manuevuer. And that's being mean to ******s.

slaapliedje

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I think some here are confused and are blaming Nokia.
That's the thing... why was this "secret" until now? Isn't the Linux Foundation all about the open? What happened to "open"? Same for Nokia and Intel, both. What's with this lack of openness all-around? I'm pretty sure "saving face" isn't helping anything.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I think some people in all of the groups deserve knuckles to the sack.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, so it MUST be true!);

"The Linux Foundation (LF) is a non-profit consortium chartered to foster the growth of Linux."

This doesn't sound like it has to do with non-profit nor with fostering the growth of Linux.

This sounds like a flame war broke out somewhere along the lines of the Epic ones that Linus has said against Gnome and KDE.

Is the OBS hosted on meego.com at all? Or is that still on the OpenSuse servers?

slaapliedje

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
I don't know what to say. This clearly gives us that Nokia is not a partner anymore.
It was inevitable that once Elop got the position that Nokia would instantly withdraw from MeeGo, Maemo never stood a chance even !.

With Elop there is only one way = WP7, nothing else is in his vision and nothing else will ever be outside of WP7.

Nokia ceased to become our "friend" from that day on sadly.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's the thing... why was this "secret" until now? Isn't the Linux Foundation all about the open? What happened to "open"? Same for Nokia and Intel, both. What's with this lack of openness all-around? I'm pretty sure "saving face" isn't helping anything.
Yeah, exactly. This is really shameful behaviour by the "Guardians of Linux" themselves. Honestly, blocking a community open source app repository because of supposed potential legal issues? Seriously? WTF?!

We got a big presentation at the San Francisco conference from the guys building apps.meego.com and honestly it was one of the only bits of the conference that didn't feel like vaporware pie-in-the-sky or, even worse, like flies buzzing over a corpse. There was a real feeling of positive momentum there in that talk, like things were moving forward and the pieces were fitting into place.

According to the post by lbt, they were just as blindsided and frustrated by the nonsense as everyone else. And my sense is that Nokians were in a panic as well.

This is actually a very sad and worrisome development for open source. If the Linux Foundation itself, on the 20th anniversary of Linux, is this jittery, what's going to happen to the rest of the Open Source world?

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yeah, exactly. This is really shameful behaviour by the "Guardians of Linux" themselves. Honestly, blocking a community open source app repository because of supposed potential legal issues? Seriously? WTF?!

We got a big presentation at the San Francisco conference from the guys building apps.meego.com and honestly it was one of the only bits of the conference that didn't feel like vaporware pie-in-the-sky or, even worse, like flies buzzing over a corpse. There was a real feeling of positive momentum there in that talk, like things were moving forward and the pieces were fitting into place.

According to the post by lbt, they were just as blindsided and frustrated by the nonsense as everyone else. And my sense is that Nokians were in a panic as well.

This is actually a very sad and worrisome development for open source. If the Linux Foundation itself, on the 20th anniversary of Linux, is this jittery, what's going to happen to the rest of the Open Source world?
You could not have said it better if you even tried !.

Sadly i have always thought long long time that "open source" is not the way of this greedy *****y world and would always be underminded by greedy people.

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
With Elop there is only one way = WP7, nothing else is in his vision and nothing else will ever be outside of WP7.
That is exactly the way I see it. He's only interested un WP7, not even in Nokia.

He said it already: the n9 will be the only meego nokia device. ¿how could he said that?

What if the n9 becomes a huge success ? The n9 is not even being sold, and Elop already declared meego dead.

I love my n900 and I do really want to stay away from the iPhone or Android phone, but I think Nokia is forcing us to look somewhere else.

Sometimes I think that they want meego to fail miserably just to justify WP7.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
That is exactly the way I see it. He's only interested un WP7, not even in Nokia.

Sometimes I think that they want meego to fail miserably just to justify WP7.
THEY should have been Elop

Yes i fully agree your point.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
God, I still remember when I used to complain during the N8x0 days about how Nokia is refusing to give into the community requests to open up more portions of Maemo so that we could have the bugs and security issues fixed ourselves... and I criticized saying HOW DARE Nokia puffer themselves up with compliments of openness when they don't give back to the community. The resoundingly loud shouts back at me were that Nokia *IS* very open and they were very proud of it.. and OPENNESS was more than open-source... it was also (get this): OPEN DEVELOPMENT!

The argument was that you could be involved, even if you couldn't see source code! You can file bug reports and see the status of bug fixes and get involved even in the closed-source by leveraging open development! A fat lot of good that did with all the WONTFIXES, FIXED IN FREMANTLE and other miscarriages along the way. Most of that was just repeated later (only with even LESS transparency in the so-called open-development) with Fremantle, and now Harmattan.

And now we get this repository hosting crisis out of nowhere that was kept secret from the communities it effects. Cripes! What's your bragging rights now, Nokia? Seriously--it's been no better than any of its competitors. Serious question: Why should I or any of the people I know or talk to consider this brand? Whats the advantage? What CAN you genuinely brag about doing well or better?

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-03 at 07:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What CAN you genuinely brag about doing well or better?
the invention of snake 2???

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down