Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Ulle View Post

- A search or filter function for events. Given one mistakes date/year in a new event, its hard to find it again (having lots of events)

Ulle
Not an ideal solution, but you can search the calendar (as well as your contacts and conversations) using Scout.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
'Type to search' like in Contacts, Email, ... would be nice. The original Calendar shows the dialog for a new event if you type in e.g. the month view.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany, Berlin
Thank you gidzz for addressing my suggestions (rather wishes).

Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
If that's just for recurrences, the proper solution would be to extend the recurrence editor (it still does not expose all the features of the underlying calendar engine).
Having it in recurrence editor might be too complex for such a simple step. I thought of a button "Clone event" or "Copy event" in titlebar menu in edit mode. But when editing an event there is no titlebar. So preferably having the button just when showing an event (next to "Edit event"). Then directly having the new event open in editing mode with maybe a prefix in title field like "Copy of: originaltitle".

Sure sounds useful, but I don't think it's possible to reliably recognize a phone number. I am not very happy to see the SMS app highlighting every 3-digit-or-more number like it's a phone number, but a quick toggle button in the titlebar menu should solve it. So, yes, I think it's a good idea.
I'd be more than happy with the some-digits-highlighting.
Hope that recognizing/linking websites is easier.

Qalendar 0.7.1 shows recently edited notes first
I got the automatical update and installed 0.7.1-1 . But no change in notes order . Do I miss something? Settings?

Anyway, now I got your little finger, I go for the whole hand : What about having the location field of an event linked to installed nokia ovi maps?
I searched a while to find this useful thread "Using Nokia Maps with dbus": http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66221 .

This needs some more peaces of Pizza, of course!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ulle For This Useful Post:
I got the automatical update and installed 0.7.1-1 . But no change in notes order . Do I miss something? Settings?
If you use Qalendar in replacement mode (--background), remember to "killall qalendar" after installing an update. For the next time I'll try to gracefully (i.e. when it is not used) restart the application from post-install script.

What about having the location field of an event linked to installed nokia ovi maps?
Sounds good and shouldn't require much work after links and phone numbers are implemented.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany, Berlin
If you use Qalendar in replacement mode (--background), remember to "killall qalendar" after installing an update. For the next time I'll try to gracefully (i.e. when it is not used) restart the application from post-install script.
Thanks for the hint! I just noted that it is in right order now without the killall comand. Ran out of battery yesterday accidently - what equals to a reboot

Sounds good and shouldn't require much work after links and phone numbers are implemented.
Would be awesome, really!
I had a short check with dbus-monitor whats going on when calling Nokia maps from addressbook. The address is separated into several peaces like zipcode and house number etc for getting long/lat . Easy, when having it in separate fields as in abook. But might be hard to split when it is all in one string. Hopefully Nokia/AddressToLocation accepts such localized address oneliners like google maps (api).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulle For This Useful Post:
In the list of calendars, the UI-visible strings are somewhat off.
E.g. I see 'cal_ti_calendar_private' + 'DEFAULT_PRIVATE' for the private calendar, and 'N900' + 'DEFAULT_SYNC' for the default calendar. It looks similar for the birthday calendar.

And a question: Do you plan to support the missing stuff re: birthday calendar?

Thanks for a great app!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
I had a short check with dbus-monitor whats going on when calling Nokia maps from addressbook. The address is separated into several peaces like zipcode and house number etc for getting long/lat . Easy, when having it in separate fields as in abook. But might be hard to split when it is all in one string. Hopefully Nokia/AddressToLocation accepts such localized address oneliners like google maps (api).
I forgot that the address in contacts is split between so many fields. Although not impossible to do, accurate parsing of the location field would require strict formatting from the user or possibly a lot of effort to get the heuristics right.

I have also found another problem: AddressToLocations is not good at finding things (tested with the address book). It is unable to correctly find some places, even though the search box in the maps application does so flawlessly. With those problems combined, I'm afraid this feature would be pretty unreliable.

Perhaps all of that could be solved by using some web API, but I don't want to add too much bloat. Someday I may write a separate D-Bus service to handle those lookups for Qalendar (or check if something like that already exists).

Originally Posted by foobar View Post
In the list of calendars, the UI-visible strings are somewhat off.
E.g. I see 'cal_ti_calendar_private' + 'DEFAULT_PRIVATE' for the private calendar, and 'N900' + 'DEFAULT_SYNC' for the default calendar.
Looks like "cal_ti_calendar_private" is a string for translation. For some reason I had just plain "Private" there, but after deleting the database, it has indeed been recreated with "cal_ti_calendar_private". Thanks for noticing that.

"DEFAULT_PRIVATE" and friends are there for my convenience, and will eventually be replaced with something prettier.

It looks similar for the birthday calendar.
Do you mean there's something like "cal_ti_calendar_birthday" (I do not have this one), or just "BIRTHDAY_CALENDAR"?

And a question: Do you plan to support the missing stuff re: birthday calendar?
Yes, I want to provide a complete replacement. But for today, there's only Qalendar 0.7.2:
  • Email addresses, phone numbers and web links in task/event details can be clickable.
  • Added clone action for events and tasks.
  • Invisible calendars in the calendar picker are grouped together and dimmed.
  • Each update after this one will not require Qalenar in background mode to be restarted manually.
  • New translation: German by deryo and tempura.san.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Thank you for this update and for the app altogether.

It is almost perfect, but one thing keeps me from using it instead of the default calendar. It's the lack of animation on changing months in the default view. I know this has been discussed before and I know your opinion on this one, but could you at least make it optional?
I'm not an 'eye-candy' kind of guy, but this animation gives me some visual feedback and without it I'm never sure which month I'm in (previous one, next one, current one)...

Thanks

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-10-18 at 14:13.

Do you mean there's something like "cal_ti_calendar_birthday" (I do not have this one), or just "BIRTHDAY_CALENDAR"?
There is 'cal_ti_smart_birthdays' + 'BITHDAY_CALENDAR'.

Thanks for the update!

The Following User Says Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Yes, I want to provide a complete replacement. But for today, there's only Qalendar 0.7.2:
  • Email addresses, phone numbers and web links in task/event details can be clickable.
How doed this work? Do you need to annotate the numers somehow?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Tags
calendar, fremantle