Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Guys, its always been possible to video chat between two N800's over Google Talk.
Indeed. Immediately after we got our N800s, maddler and I tested it across Europe.

Why the fuss now over something which was so obviously included before?!

Is the point that it now supports Google Video with a Linux or Windows desktop?

It does not support desktop video apps now. That's why I agree with you and it seems like a step backward. Unless they are doing it to try to boost n800 sales (need 2 for a video call).

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It does not support desktop video apps now. That's why I agree with you and it seems like a step backward. Unless they are doing it to try to boost n800 sales (need 2 for a video call).
I suggest this add: "Buy 2 N800 and replace your talkie-walkies. Your money back"

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Indeed. Immediately after we got our N800s, maddler and I tested it across Europe.

Why the fuss now over something which was so obviously included before?!
Ah, yes. Um . . .

Well, see the update to the main entry. Confusion on my part about whether there was something new here (no) or not.

Roger

Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, it seems that there aren't so many standard-compatible desktop clients out there supporting XMPP and Video call anyways.... I wonder if Nokia will choose another protocol to be used for desktop video call support, if any. SIP, maybe? At least there are some desktop SIP clients supporting video, ekiga and eyebeam for instance.

Does anyone know if Nokia/Skype are going to support video calls in future release of Skype?

Thanks.
Omar

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
the N800 video chat to desktop was in beta, they took it out.
Guess maybe it is to boost sales, which sucks, because part of the reason I purchased my N800 was to do my video chat with pc users (don't have any friends with the N800 or 770).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
the N800 video chat to desktop was in beta, they took it out.
Guess maybe it is to boost sales, which sucks, because part of the reason I purchased my N800 was to do my video chat with pc users (don't have any friends with the N800 or 770).
No, they removed it because it worked badly and sucked. They're supposedly working on a new solution for PC-tablet videochat.

If nokia supports n800 to pc sip. Can we use that with a sip client on pc(that supports video) to be to have a video call btwn n800 and pc?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Try it and let us know.