Notices

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
It's odd that people seem to feel like Mobile firefox is so slow. I find that it takes a bit longer to load initially, but doesn't take any longer to actually display full pages than microB.

I feel like it scrolls pages better than MicroB and that its double tap zooming is a great feature as well as the text entry. It's a bit annoying to have to scroll all the way to the top of a page to access forward/backward/and enter a new url, but this isn't too bad considering half the time I was clicking the wrong thing in microB and then I'd have to wait for it to reload a whole new page I never meant for it to go to.

In the end, it will need some tweaking, but it's a great start.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
It's odd that people seem to feel like Mobile firefox is so slow. I find that it takes a bit longer to load initially, but doesn't take any longer to actually display full pages than microB.
It takes substantially longer than MicroB to load. I've (casually) counted off 30s waiting for Fennec to load to a usable state, as opposed to less than 5s for MicroB. If I'm launching a browser on my mobile device, the faster the better. Fennec is an excellent browser once it is loaded, but the load time is what essentially kills any chance of this replacing MicroB on my N900 any time soon..

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post

I feel like it scrolls pages better than MicroB and that its double tap zooming is a great feature as well as the text entry. It's a bit annoying to have to scroll all the way to the top of a page to access forward/backward/and enter a new url, but this isn't too bad considering half the time I was clicking the wrong thing in microB and then I'd have to wait for it to reload a whole new page I never meant for it to go to.

In the end, it will need some tweaking, but it's a great start.
totally agreed. I love firefox (desktop version) lol. Though it consume a lot of memory but it can be done by Windows and RAM upgrade. But for mobile device is has to be more optimised before it can be a stand alone browser. Mobile Device has limited RAM and cannot upgrade like the desktop. That is why right now it is not a good contender in my book that is. I'll stick with microB for now. It's more agile but like you said It did missed my clicks many times. MicroB is bad at that and crashing alot lately. But it is our only hope right now.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wageningen (NL)
Is there a geolocation plugin available for firefox on N900???

I'm using Firefox solely. Mozilla supporting maemo is classy and hopefully there will be more to come. Also eveyone should support mozilla community by using Firefox for building a free and independent "dominion" against Apple and Google.

Regarding this: is it possible too prevent fennec from turning the adress field into a search field for Google? I want to route it to my default metasearch engine instead.

I still use MicroB;
Currently I still think that Fennec is not in a complete state. The problems I have with it (compared to MicroB)
- Lack of Volume Button Zoom
- Lack of Spin Zoom
- Lack of Flash (Without messing around anyway)
- Too Long to Load
- Shuts Down at Random Points
- Seems slow to me
- No Theme Support (I REALLY hate the grey)

Generally I like what I've seen so far from Fennec on N900, I just think it needed another month or so to sort out some of the above problems.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
MicroB launches way faster since it's running a background progress as opposed to Firefox Mobile which doesn't. You out there using Browser Switchboard and switched to Firefox should get what I'm talking about.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
MicroB launches way faster since it's running a background progress as opposed to Firefox Mobile which doesn't. You out there using Browser Switchboard and switched to Firefox should get what I'm talking about.
Nokia is using it's marketing power to unfairly advantage it's own browser. Call the antitrust regulators!!!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Nokia is using it's marketing power to unfairly advantage it's own browser. Call the antitrust regulators!!!
Nothing is stopping the Mozilla folks from running Fennec as a background process..

Don't call the antitrust regulators until Nokia actively prevents Mozilla from doing so

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I was having problems with MicroB and was more or less forced to run Firefox for awhile. I was surprised; it didn't seem as slow as it did a week or so ago when I first tried it on my N900. There are some nice add-ons for Firefox that aren't yet available for MicroB. It has a pretty good overall feeling of quality.

In the real world, on my desktop and laptops, I have pretty much switched entirely over to Google Chrome from Firefox for the time being. Opera, though is another great browser out there. I hope we have the choice of all of them in the future on the N900. I will keep switching off to whatever is my current favorite.