Active Topics

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
What? Care to explain?
Aw come on, why do you need an explanation for something so simple?
How can anyone call having 4 apps open together on a quad core CPU "multitasking"? That's 1 app per core = 4 CPUs (4 computers) each doing their own thing, as opposed to 4 apps running simultaniously on a single core CPU.

But, anyway, like I've said in the past, I have not yet found anything out there that even comes close to a replacement for the N900 where usefulness is concerned, especially for my line of work. I'd quite happily replace the back cover for one without NOKIA stamped in it and scratch it off the front bezel, it's an embarrassment having them there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Val Demar View Post
Multitasking. So much said about it. Can anyone tell me how they benefit from it on their phone?
There's always a terminal lurking around.
In fact, when I unlock my phone, a terminal is usually the first thing I see on the screen.
Everything else is just started besides the terminal.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Just a quick thought I was interested in is to how many people on this
Forum actually still use n900 today as their main phone?

Since its release I've had and owned around 7 N900s sold one got iPhone sold iPhone back to n900 sold that got n9 sold that back to n900 you can get where I'm going with it.

I missed it so much I always had to go bak to it but when I had it I got more frustrated with little things as of now

I own two n900s ones dead from cssu devel and I have no USB port so it's gone. 2nd one I have is in mint well almost mint condition which I just bought few weeks ago. Started using it as main phone but it just sits on tv now and I'm using my iphone 4 (yes I know) and a galaxy s3 and android is super customisable but I'm honestly sick and tired of android I really am. Plus as I get older the thought of hacking and tweaking devices is just not as fun as it used to be hence why I'm using iPhone.

Anyway so the question was how many of you still to this day 3/4 years later still using the n900 and why?
i used my n900 as my main cell phone until recently but my battery are not charging normaly so i use nokia n8 instead (not as good for inernet)

The Following User Says Thank You to jlcb2000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
I'm still using the N900 as my one and only smartphone. I started to look around the Android market after MfE stopped synching with my google calendar some time last year and thus the N900 lost some functionality for me, but I concluded there is no real replacement for the N900. Now I even found the solution for that on these talk pages: a simple upgrade of libcurl3 to the version in extra-devel made MfE functional again...

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
I use my N900 and only it. And I will be very sad if one day it is screwed... The usb is ok for now (cross fingers), the system ok but hardly upgradable with recents repos aleas.

I use it for everything, I like the 32gb storage, the keyboard, the open plateform and the lovely maemo system. I regret some bugs, even with thumb2, the small battery life (I use 3 batteries a day) and some sloness (particularly when a call comes).

@rebhana For the sync with google agenda, I use Erminig-NG and alarmed ('erminig -a' command) for 2 years and it works almost like a charm.

The Following User Says Thank You to talou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Aw come on, why do you need an explanation for something so simple?
How can anyone call having 4 apps open together on a quad core CPU "multitasking"? That's 1 app per core = 4 CPUs (4 computers) each doing their own thing, as opposed to 4 apps running simultaniously on a single core CPU.
I don't mean to offend you, but that's literally the stupidest thing I read all day.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
My N900 is my only phone and has been for more than two years. Did try an Android for a short time but quickly came back to the fold. Keyboard is essential as is X terminal. Love being able to run Emacs with org mode on my phone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballfresno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I don't mean to offend you, but that's literally the stupidest thing I read all day.
Quick reply...
Not exactly... I admit it's an oversimplification: quad core CPU isn't the same as four separate CPUs. But the writer is right: if you have to use a multi-core CPU just to run four apps at the same time, then the operating system is hopelessly bloated, compared to an older operating system which can have a dozen of windows open and running at the same time on a single-core CPU.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
Not exactly... I admit it's an oversimplification: quad core CPU isn't the same as four separate CPUs. But the writer is right: if you have to use a multi-core CPU just to run four apps at the same time, then the operating system is hopelessly bloated, compared to an older operating system which can have a dozen of windows open and running at the same time on a single-core CPU.
But ya'll have to realize how the OS is not only running the apps, but does a huge deal of stuff in the background, small processes firing and doing work here and there (network communications, sensor monitoring for ambient light, among many other things).

It's not like you start an app, and then it has full access and control over one core.

People need to learn what the hell they are talking about! Every once in a while I lose my nerve when reading all the crap that's flowing in these threads.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
But ya'll have to realize how the OS is not only running the apps, but does a huge deal of stuff in the background, small processes firing and doing work here and there (network communications, sensor monitoring for ambient light, among many other things).

It's not like you start an app, and then it has full access and control over one core.
I understand it. And the background processes will be the death of me.
On Windows, there are 68 processes altogether, and of them, and recognise only a quarter: others are unknown parts of operating system, such as, ten processes "svchost.exe". If a stealthy virus called itself "svchost.exe", I wouldn't notice him...
On Maemo, there are background processes, guarded by the watchdog, such as modest (email client), Calendar, image-viewer, browser, rtcom-messaging-ui, rtcom-call-ui, osso-addressbook, camera-ui. I understand that it is so that they would start faster, but I should be able to have a choice. Where is the list of the processed started automatically and guarded by the watchdog determined?
People need to learn what the hell they are talking about! Every once in a while I lose my nerve when reading all the crap that's flowing in these threads.
I understand. But it's an oversimplification: he just points out how, despite better hardware, the software is worse, less capable.
It's not like the software has more background processes running: Maemo already has a lot of network communications, and ambient light sensor, and magnet-sensor for kickstand, and sensor for camera-open-or-closed, et cetera. It's not like the new smartphones have magnetometer, barometer, gyrometer, and a dozen of other sensors running at all times.
Though, this Casio_G'zOne_Commando does seem ... interesting (ruggedized to military standard MIL-STD-810G). Features such as a compass (Earth Compass), pedometer (Walking Counter) and thermometer, and apps such as Tides, Sun/Moon, Star Gazer...
Best wishes.

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900