Notices

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Try it and find out.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Try it and find out.
Wow that's a great answer, but without knowing about it completely I do not want to mess my current setup and do not want to go thru the hassle of backing up my data and installing new software etc. I guess I can not install all current softwares like meamo mapper, UPMP etc in KDE.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Green_Star View Post
okey, I tried searching but I do not find any useful info. So I am asking again here.

If I installed around a GB worth of KDE (where meamo is less than 200MB) what advantages do i get? and what about the performance? If you do not want to write whole story, please give me some links where I can get some idea.

Thanks in advance.
Look, as stated many times, this is not a replacement for Maemo, its just not developed far enough. If you want to put KDE on your 770/800 have at it. If you want to play with KDE and see what you can get working, jump on board, if you are looking for a SOLID working replacement for maemo, keep looking.

Performance would depend on the hardware, and whether or not your using swap. I can only speak to the n800, KDE performance is very useable.

got it.

So KDE is still in development/testing stage. Anyways now I can not afford another GB to play with KDE (I wish I have that space in my memory card). Thanks for your replies guys.

KDE for IT is what it is, there is no further development going on from me, or anyone that I am aware of. This is the only option if you want some KDE to play with.

So .... would this enable the missing video formats like h.264 in the 2007 version? Like compiling this & that app and getting new media options?

Or does the KDE take so much speed just to run it that the option is not usefull?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Installed it yesterday and i love it.
How can i boot directly into KDE without first having to boot Hildon and selecting it from the menu? That way i could dual boot into either Hildon (boot from flash) or KDE (boot from mmc).

Ton.

Why would you want to run KDE to view h.264 videos? Just wait for the Chinook update and you are good to go. Chinook has straight support for videos encoded for the iPod format. And what I have heard, the quality is ok. I would imagine, that KDE takes fair amount of resources to run. So that leaves even less of the resources to be used for video encoding.

Personally I think that the KDE is a nice system for certain things, but for processor intense usage it is not. And if the installation is not plug and play, and the developement is not intense I definately wouldn't bother.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Italy - Canada
Up ..

I have just installed kde356final1 on my n800 running os2008, but, I need to know how start kde, because, when I starting the Xserver just launch the default VM of os2008 ... Somebody can tell me how I can launch it ??? Ty so much to all ...

Last edited by Segnale007; 2007-12-05 at 19:01.

Originally Posted by Segnale007 View Post
Up ..

I have just installed kde356final1 on my n800 running os2008, but, I need to know how start kde, because, when I starting the Xserver just launch the default VM of os2008 ... Somebody can tell me how I can launch it ??? Ty so much to all ...

Stop now, it wont work, for a few reasons. I have made a 2008OS Version KDE 3.5.8, which includes full KDE, inluding PIM apps, and the full Koffice.

I have it mostly complete, but I am waiting for my n810 in hand before I release a new version.

If you would like to try the 2008OS version with Koffice, please PM me and I will send you a link with instructions.

PS, its launched from the KDE icon in the extras menu, but again the 3.5.6 version won't work on 2008OS.