I noticed that when I tried to add a photo to a contacts name I get the following messege:

Unable to perform operation, not enough memory!!

Not enough memory?? I doubt i've used 500mb of memory so far. I've already added a few photo's to contacts a few days ago, so can't understand why its doing that now.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I had the same problem. You're using too large a photo and overloading the buffer in the contact photo editor.. Trim the photo down first to reduce the file size, then use the smaller version to set as the contact photo.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-01-02 at 20:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Most likely "root partition full" problem, try rebooting and uninstall non-optified packages like Fennec beta 5. Cleaning up apt package cache is a good thing too.

p.s. You can check disk usage with "df" command in xterm.

ah yes, that did the job. Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
Most likely "root partition full" problem, try rebooting and uninstall non-optified packages like Fennec beta 5. Cleaning up apt package cache is a good thing too.

p.s. You can check disk usage with "df" command in xterm.
Didn't do this, as a) trimming down the photo worked, and b) i would'nt have a clue how to use the xterminal!

hi elhana, i have used the df command in x and it shows rootfs is 100% full, how can i empty this folder? or there might be information that is necessary inside there?.. but i think the best way is to increase the limited space for the rootfs folder.. say make it around 5gb! is this possible?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Have you rebooted yet? There's currently a bug where space isn't freed up properly after installing packages. A reboot will fix this issue. If you still have 100% space used then you should either remove some of the -devel packages you've installed, or look at the existing threads about reorganising the file system.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by xx090 View Post
hi elhana, i have used the df command in x and it shows rootfs is 100% full, how can i empty this folder?
First, it's not a folder, it's a partition. Second, do not delete anything in roofs! Like Rob1n said, reboot first, then uninstall anything you got from the devel repo. Reboot again after removing those apps. Do not use the devel repo again until you have a thorough understanding of what happens when you do, and how to fix things when they go bad.

...or there might be information that is necessary inside there?..
Absolutely there is! Like, key system files. Again, do not delete anything in roofs!

...but i think the best way is to increase the limited space for the rootfs folder.. say make it around 5gb! is this possible?
No, the best way is to use only software properly packaged for Maemo 5. The rootfs cannot be significantly increased, especially not to 5GB, nor does it need to be. Do not try to modify your filesystem until you have a much more comprehensive understanding of Linux, how it works and is organized.

No offense, but you sound like so many new Linux users, who try to do far, far more than they should because they hear about this or that trick or program, and because with linux, they can. They try compiling software, running alpha software, download all sorts of things willy-nilly - generally try all kinds of stuff they would never dream of doing on a Windows box, get themselves in all kinds of trouble, then blame linux for being no good and/or hard to use.

Stick with the Nokia and Maemo repositories, maybe a little of Testing. Learn before you leap.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-01-08 at 12:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Saudi Arabia
hi, thanks for the brief information,,, now i understand what you mean. i also have little difficulties or lets say i am a new user trying to explore for Linux (Maemo N900),,, but i tried to used those stuff testing and devel in repos,,, now i cant download anymore saying "NOT ENOUGH....". Since you discuss something very informative here, maybe your knowledge can help me to get rid of this problem i hope you could help me to re solve this issue in installing,,, i tried to removed some but still i dont understand how to solve this, can't download update Maemo version in which 13.5MB only.

here's the message on my x-terminal, pls try to help me, thanks:

filesystem 1k-blocks used available use% Mounted on
rootfs 233104 192748 36076 84% /
ubi0:rootsfs 233104 192748 36076 84% /
tmpfs 1024 72 952 7% /tmp
tmps 256 76 180 30% /var/
run
none 10240 80 10160 1% /dev/
tmfs 65536 1 66532 0% /dev/
shm
/dev/mmcblk0p2 2064208 371080 1588272 19% /home
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python2.5 2064208 371080 1588272 19% /usr/
lib/python2.5
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/pyshared
2064208 371080 1588272 19% /usr/
share/pyshared
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/pyshared
lib/pyshared
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/python-support
share/python-support
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python-support
lib/python-support
/dev/mmcblk0p1
28312128 5016192 23295936 18% /hom
/dev/mmcblk1p1 994432 789632 204800 79% /med
ia/mmc1

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
First, it's not a folder, it's a partition. Second, do not delete anything in roofs! Like Rob1n said, reboot first, then uninstall anything you got from the devel repo. Reboot again after removing those apps. Do not use the devel repo again until you have a thorough understanding of what happens when you do, and how to fix things when they go bad.

Absolutely there is! Like, key system files. Again, do not delete anything in roofs!

No, the best way is to use only software properly packaged for Maemo 5. The rootfs cannot be significantly increased, especially not to 5GB, nor does it need to be. Do not try to modify your filesystem until you have a much more comprehensive understanding of Linux, how it works and is organized.

No offense, but you sound like so many new Linux users, who try to do far, far more than they should because they hear about this or that trick or program, and because with linux, they can. They try compiling software, running alpha software, download all sorts of things willy-nilly - generally try all kinds of stuff they would never dream of doing on a Windows box, get themselves in all kinds of trouble, then blame linux for being no good and/or hard to use.

Stick with the Nokia and Maemo repositories, maybe a little of Testing. Learn before you leap.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Saudi Arabia
if there's any easy way to get rid of this,,, please help me. thanks.