help guys! i want to add another sms back up but when i type the command smsbackuprestore import [filename] it processes nothing. here is the command i used

~# smsbackuprestore import meback

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by jonchew View Post
help guys! i want to add another sms back up but when i type the command smsbackuprestore import [filename] it processes nothing. here is the command i used

either the file is empty, or the file doesn't exist.

please try to use the absolute path for "meback"

Originally Posted by wwwjfy View Post
either the file is empty, or the file doesn't exist.

please try to use the absolute path for "meback"
hmm,should the file (meback) exist before I import? Should the app create the file for me or I should create it?

Originally Posted by jonchew View Post
hmm,should the file (meback) exist before I import? Should the app create the file for me or I should create it?
"import" is to import the content in a file to your device's SMS, so you have to have something to import, with correct format.

or actually you want to "export"? then the file doesn't need to exist

Thank you very much. This worked for me.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
hi how can we merge two or more files from the backup.

during the backup i rec'd the error "the background thread has stalled" due to which the newer backups are smaller file sizes than the first backup. the new backups contain new smses and less than 1/3 of the old smses. so i want to merge these files and import them back.

thanks for your help

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
hi how can we merge two or more files from the backup.

during the backup i rec'd the error "the background thread has stalled" due to which the newer backups are smaller file sizes than the first backup. the new backups contain new smses and less than 1/3 of the old smses. so i want to merge these files and import them back.

thanks for your help
If no multiline sms, you can easily run in terminal

cat 1st 2nd | sort -u -k3 -t, > new

to merge two files. (-u is for unique, -k3 is for sorting by date, -t, is for separator ,)

with multiline sms, it's much easier if you copy the files to your windows/linux/mac to process. I can provide a python script if you need

The Following User Says Thank You to wwwjfy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Thanks for the great app!!

As an earlier poster asked, is there any chance of doing the same for Notes? Is it a similar process or too involved?I would do it if I could!!

Also, so I can wipe my phone and have confidence that I can restore all my sms's as new?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by wwwjfy View Post
If no multiline sms, you can easily run in terminal

cat 1st 2nd | sort -u -k3 -t, > new

to merge two files. (-u is for unique, -k3 is for sorting by date, -t, is for separator ,)

with multiline sms, it's much easier if you copy the files to your windows/linux/mac to process. I can provide a python script if you need
can you please provide a script to do the same on windows. my smses are multiline.

thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Thanks for the great app!!

As an earlier poster asked, is there any chance of doing the same for Notes? Is it a similar process or too involved?I would do it if I could!!

Also, so I can wipe my phone and have confidence that I can restore all my sms's as new?
I just found that. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81312&page=3
check the bottom, there is already an app for that

The Following User Says Thank You to wwwjfy For This Useful Post: