Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Any thoughts on having a better design for the FM xmit so that (by design in the N900) the signal is not all wasted? For regulatory purposes we could reduce the signal to proper limits in software but tagging onto the headphone wire when available like FM-rx would really boost the tx.

Also what chip is the bluetooth on? The best bluetooth watch I have seen so far is the G-shock which requires BT-4 but lasts a year on battery.

Lastly what hard hitting email signature will we have, sent from my Nokia N900 or even Neo900 doesnt say enough to the dolts who "sent from my iPhone".

Last edited by biketool; 2013-09-16 at 08:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by oxym View Post
dos1 in his first post in this topic mentioned that with higher volume it is possible to upgrade the specs of the phone to OMAP4.
I guess it might be a good idea to start a similar poll to the one in this thread asking how much are people willing to pay for OMAP4 version.
The question may be like (assuming OMAP4 is a 4460):
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with OMAP4460 dual core 1.2-1.5 GHz/1GM-RAM/1GB (instead of TI DM3730 version)?

If you add this poll, it can be referred in neo900.org
It was about GTA04 itself. Neo900 project does not target OMAP4, unless we'll get really massive volume of preorders, engineers willing to work on it and maybe some commercial support, to actually make it work :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
It was about GTA04 itself. Neo900 project does not target OMAP4, unless we'll get really massive volume of preorders, engineers willing to work on it and maybe some commercial support, to actually make it work :P
Wouldn't it be good idea just to post a poll about a possibility (without doing any massive investigation), just to check if "really massive volume of preorders" would occur?

Edit:
I mean, I guess it might be a bit of a chicken and egg problem.
There won't be a massive volume of preorders without higher specs.

Last edited by oxym; 2013-09-16 at 09:14. Reason: adding details

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oxym For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Those specs junkie, they come and go wit the bloatware they are running.

There is no need to raise the specs for Maemo Fremantle!
- This is the wrong place for people, that do not understand the basics of software needs for hardware.
- There is multitask in Maemo because of the software, not because of some hardware requirement fulfilled.
- Look at the WebOS games running in preenv.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I am inclined to agree, I rocked a Zaurus SL-5500 until ~2010; for the most part I could do what I needed thought it required converting all video files. It is in useful and up to date apps that we make a useful device, more CPU can be useful for things like Software Defined Radio but for the most part we don't do intense decoding or multimedia rendering with smartphones and it is hardware features and OS/app usability and utility rather than raw computing power that we are seeking. Not to say a powerful CPU is unwanted if it doesn't have a massive cash and battery drain pricetag attached but we live in the real world of economics.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post

- This is the wrong place for people, that do not understand the basics of software needs for hardware.
- There is multitask in Maemo because of the software, not because of some hardware requirement fulfilled.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Hello,

Can the usb port weakness got resolved in this model?

The Following User Says Thank You to asem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by asem View Post
Hello,

Can the usb port weakness got resolved in this model?
Do you imagine ProfScrutinizer awould release the neo900 with a dicky usb-port?

As the mainboard is new the port issue should not be there.

Last edited by handaxe; 2013-09-16 at 11:14. Reason: stray 'the'

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
I'm using N900 and I'd be happy with it's specs if it would still work (I still use it despite the fact that GSM module ceased to work, and NAND flash starts loosing it's capacity (fs is becoming read-only frquently)).

I'm browsing some pages in lynx, because they'd be unusable otherwise.
Recently I wanted to draw something in inkscape, but responsiveness is so low that I have dismissed the idea altogether.

I'd like to see Neo900 to be capable of doing this thing.

BTW: I'm having my N900 overclocked to ~800 MHz, so I'm a bit uncertain if ~25% increase in frequency would do the thing

Last edited by oxym; 2013-09-16 at 10:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to oxym For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post

Precisely. with 1GHz under the hood just about anything should be instaneous.
On a sidenote, it would be good with some optimization of the current maemo system while it is rewritten (identifying timehogs and rewrite them) , it shouldnt take longer to paint a simple button on the screen then to complete a level in a 3D game.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by oxym View Post
BTW: I'm having my N900 overclocked to ~800 MHz, so I'm a bit uncertain if ~25% increase in frequency would do the thing
In memory starved systems like our N900 the boost coming from doubling the RAM outweighs the boost by using a faster CPU by a factor of at least a magnitude (have you ever doubled the RAM in an old Windows 3 system to a whopping 2 MB?). Plus you get a fast swap on top of that.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!