So, when mer is ready for everyday use, will the application repository contain typical linux apps that have been compiled for ARM?

Let me clarify: maemo is great, but you can only use apps that have been compiled or hildonized for the platform. You can also use OpenOffice and Firefox, but that has to "talk" through chroot/ easy debian. What I'm curious to know is if Mer will allow me to install everyday Linux apps (Xine, OpenOffice, XMMS, etc.) that can run natively on my NIT (as long as they are for ARM.) If so, this will be fantastic --- I would love to have an Ubuntu-like experience available on my N810.

Thanks in advance!

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Yes, we piggyback on the huge Ubuntu repository.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yes, we piggyback on the huge Ubuntu repository.
Excuse me while I drooool. Maybe I shouldn't have asked... now I'm going to be impatiently waiting to run a native version of Firefox and Openoffice on my NIT. GO TEAM GO!!! I'm cheering you on!!

Thank you!

When is 0.17 coming out again?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
When is 0.17 coming out again?
Shaping up at the moment. Includes the new on screen keyboard, connectivity, desktop. But there's some odd bugs still. And it won't be very usable without proper GLES drivers or GL on desktops.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oklahoma
Why does the virtual machine run at 800x600?

Shaping up at the moment. Includes the new on screen keyboard, connectivity, desktop. But there's some odd bugs still. And it won't be very usable without proper GLES drivers or GL on desktops.
Thanks. What's the latest on getting those drivers? Is Nokia doing anything to speed it up?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Thanks. What's the latest on getting those drivers? Is Nokia doing anything to speed it up?
It isn't in Nokia's hands. It is in TI's. It is my understanding that there is cooperation happening between Mer and TI and although the drivers are in practice unusable in their current form, they are well on their way. Don't hold me to that though, I could be wrong :P

Last edited by Termana; 2009-12-01 at 10:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Termana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Termana View Post
It isn't in Nokia's hands. It is in TI's. It is my understanding that there is cooperation happening between Mer and TI and although the drivers are in practice unusable in their current form, they are well on their way. Don't hold me to that though, I could be wrong :P
I thought the initial request of the drivers came from Nokia?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Includes the new on screen keyboard
Which one? Does it offer better integration to non-maemo applications?