Active Topics

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
FWIW, I've used E17 with Illume theme a bit on desktop. This also gives someone an experience with E17 without too much work. All I did was use a shell script (reasy_e17.sh or something) to compile and install E17 in /opt. After that GDM detects Enlightenment is installed and you can select it and play with it. Ofcourse on different hardware, but its still a recent experience. Elive 1.0 is out of date nowadays. The shell script allowed me to install the 'stable' stuff or also 'the experimental' stuff. I chose the former; it is normal that some modules and gadgets don't work as E17 is always a DR (development release).
I agree that the install scripts that use svn's latest are a great way to install E17. As a matter of fact, if you look at the bottom of the first post in this thread, you will find a link to a deb file if you click the words "Original e17 deb" that will install all necessary packages to compile and install e17 and then do such using the easy_e17 script.
As I mentioned before, the draw back to this method is that it takes quite a while to compile on the tablet, but if you let it go while you sleep it shouldn't be much of a problem. The results end up better so far.

But, just for ease of use for many users and considering the time to install, I'm still working on updating the old fashioned debs. I've found a debian git repository where they host the latest changes required to build e17 on debian and will use this for the next set as they seem to have found and fixed most of the problems that they packages currently in the Mer repo have. Sadly, the process of making these packages is quite time consuming, so it'll probably be next week or so before I get around to making the updated packages.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I just wanted to post this theme here:

Grunge

It's soo nice, i love it.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
Orignal e17 deb
WARNING: This method WILL take a SIGNIFICANTLY longer time to setup and requires quite a few libraries to be installed. But, it doesn't have any of the disadvantages listed above. So, I still recommend the original method, if you don't mind taking the time to use it.
Ok, since Easy Mer-Ubuntu looks like it's a bit of a bust, I'll give Easy E17 a shot. I've got the original E17 deb and a vanilla Jaunty rootfs; I'll fire up the process and let it go all night. Wish me luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, since Easy Mer-Ubuntu looks like it's a bit of a bust, I'll give Easy E17 a shot. I've got the original E17 deb and a vanilla Jaunty rootfs; I'll fire up the process and let it go all night. Wish me luck!
Good luck! Let me know if you hit any snags along the way and I'll see what I can do to help.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Install: the install process fails without cvs installed. This seems to be a bug in their installer script...

Keyboard: I can't get the virtual keyboard to actually enter text. It looks nice, it just doesn't work.

And where do I download the B_and_W GTK theme from?

The theme can be found here:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=95680
Also, you need to install the gtk2-engines-pixbuf package for it to look right.
To make the theme look even more consistent, I would also install the OxygenRefit2-black icon theme which is available on the same website as above. I assume you know this qole, but in case anyone else reads this, don't forget that you'll need to make an .gtkrc-2.0 file in your home directory that sets which gtk, font, and icons you want to use. It'll make everything prettier and easier to use.

I'm not sure why the keyboard isn't letting the text work. I'm assuming you're using chroot...did you try any tricks like disabling the maemo virtual keyboard, etc? DId you try the "terminal" keyboard too, or just the default? You can change the keyboard type by pressing the little icon at the top right of the virtual keyboard. There's probably something simple setting or something that we're needing to change, but I'm not sure what it is. If we can't figure it out, I'll go over to #e on freenode and ask around for help. Raster, might know what the problem is.

One last thing...did you notice that the funny graphics are smoother using this install method? ie: there are no ugly lines going across the screen.

Also, you are right. The cvs package must also be installed. I forgot about that.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-16 at 19:35.

Ok, everything is working except the virtual keyboard. And it doesn't work even when I replace hildon-desktop with Enlightenment.

And it looks like I might not be alone in this.

http://www.mail-archive.com/smartpho.../msg00894.html

I have one more problem / complaint. There doesn't seem to be a "logout" button, only a power button. So I can only kill Enlightenment or reboot the tablet.

Ok, everything is working except the virtual keyboard. And it doesn't work even when I replace hildon-desktop with Enlightenment.

And it looks like I might not be alone in this.

http://www.mail-archive.com/smartpho.../msg00894.html

I have one more problem / complaint. There doesn't seem to be a "logout" button, only a power button. So I can only kill Enlightenment or reboot the tablet.
I'll look into that keyboard stuff. It really is a nice keyboard, so it'll really pay off to get it going.

I noticed that same logout issue. But, the logout issue is intentional according to the e17 people since it is intended to be as lightweight as possible and therefor it is not expected that you would be using it with a login manager, etc. I remember there was a workaround. You may just have to do something like: killall HUP enlightenment
or change the init level.

Edit: I might have it: Check to see if you have the package: libxtst-dev installed. If not, you may have to rebuild the ecore package (I think it is the ecore package anyway). I looks like the libstst package allows "X clients to synthesise input events." This also makes me wonder if there might be some sort of linkage to the lack or use of X server by Maemo, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-16 at 22:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Ok...

Code:
apt-get install libxtst-dev libts-dev libtssss0.0-0-dbg
easy-e17.sh --only=ecore
Notes:
  • I installed the libts-dev library as well, since this is the touchscreen input library that Maemo uses.
  • The easy-e17.sh script pulled a new version of ecore from SVN, "Updated to revision 39511." I wonder if I should run the whole script again (maybe some fixes / patches?)

Result:
E17 no longer starts.

Some error messages that might be useful:
Code:
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
...(some Xephyr warnings)...
unrecognised device identifier!
[    2.172210] (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
E - PID=16281, do_precache=0
/opt/e17/bin/enlightenment: symbol lookup error: /opt/e17/bin/enlightenment: undefined symbol: ECORE_X_EVENT_KEY_UP
I've been getting that "Generic Event Extension" error on this Ubuntu rootfs fairly frequently.

If we can figure this out and also figure out a way to kill E17 gracefully, I think this will be a very nice little desktop to play with for people.

I'm hoping that once I get this working, I'll be able to clean out the unneeded development libraries or alternately, tarball up the /opt/e17 directory and drop it into a clean Ubuntu rootfs, or something. I'd like to make this available for people to try out as a low-commitment alternate desktop.

EDIT: I asked easy_e17 to do an update, and it found a bunch of changes in several modules, bumping the version to 39513.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-17 at 01:07.

Ok...

Code:
apt-get install libxtst-dev libts-dev libtssss0.0-0-dbg
easy-e17.sh --only=ecore
Notes:
  • I installed the libts-dev library as well, since this is the touchscreen input library that Maemo uses.
  • The easy-e17.sh script pulled a new version of ecore from SVN, "Updated to revision 39511." I wonder if I should run the whole script again (maybe some fixes / patches?)

Result:
E17 no longer starts.

Some error messages that might be useful:
Code:
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
...(some Xephyr warnings)...
unrecognised device identifier!
[    2.172210] (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
E - PID=16281, do_precache=0
/opt/e17/bin/enlightenment: symbol lookup error: /opt/e17/bin/enlightenment: undefined symbol: ECORE_X_EVENT_KEY_UP
I've been getting that "Generic Event Extension" error on this Ubuntu rootfs fairly frequently.

If we can figure this out and also figure out a way to kill E17 gracefully, I think this will be a very nice little desktop to play with for people.

I'm hoping that once I get this working, I'll be able to clean out the unneeded development libraries or alternately, tarball up the /opt/e17 directory and drop it into a clean Ubuntu rootfs, or something. I'd like to make this available for people to try out as a low-commitment alternate desktop.

EDIT: I asked easy_e17 to do an update, and it found a bunch of changes in several modules, bumping the version to 39513.
It sounds like the version change probably resulted in the problems you're having.

I tried making a tarball of the e17 directory (I think i may still have it sitting around here somewhere as a matter of fact), but when I did a test to see if the tar would work, it wouldn't start the window manager so I scrapped the idea. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere so give it a shot and let me know if it works.

Edit: I found the tarball. It is here: http://savefile.com/projects/808745478
Once you go to this link, the file you want is the second one (created 06.03.2009)

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-17 at 02:13.

Tags
mer, ubuntu