Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Proposal:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...in_improvement

Synopsis:
As far as I see, "Getting involved in product improvement" is mostly done actively by some enthusiasts and I think it would be great to get average/mainstream user involved in improving user experience with help from the OS & within the OS.

I also think that this would improve users' overall experience greatly about the product since average/mainstream user would like to see being taken care of / listened to when they need it.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-10-22 at 06:15. Reason: [Sandbox] tag

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
timsamoff mentioned in his comment below the proposal, that there is a crash reporter app and it was only used in earlier versions of the OS and also had no bearing on user karma.

I thought there might be an app for that (see what I did? :P), but without actively using users no app is gonna be helpful to anyone.

That's why I am trying to find ways to make it used by users, like earning karma/points that can be spent in *real* rewards (free downloads of paid content maybe?) encouraging users involvement in improvement.

Any more ideas to get average/mainstream user involved in product improvement?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Crash reporter is still available for Maemo5. Speaking as a bugmaster I don't totally agree with having easy ways to report issuea either - seen that in GNOME Evolution where there is a menu item to file a bug report, so it was partially "abused" for stuff that should have ended up in a forum instead. It has both advantages and disadvantages.

With regard to this report, solution #1 is already implemented and available.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gecebekcisi View Post
That's why I am trying to find ways to make it used by users, like earning karma/points that can be spent in *real* rewards
Note that there might be always a very very very small fraction of people that will might useless tickets like mad just to get the points.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
If the error reporting tool only appears after an application crash, then hopefully it will not be abused.
I am an average/mainstream user, this will be my first ever nokia and my first non windows phone in about 7 yrs, and Im very interested in helping out any way I can, so I like the idea of solution 1, I also like the idea of reward points, but I can see that being open to abuse...

The Following User Says Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Fair points, but I guess a smart anti-abuse system could be implemented in that case (maybe users could get points only for non-abusing, valid submissions which will be reviewed by trusted users?).

Maybe I couldn't express myself well there, but solution #1 emphasizes on an approach for convincing user to submit crash reports; not the app itself only. I haven't seen it but guessing that the reporting app doesn't work in this kinda average user friendly approach.

Crowd sourcing can be harnessed for good of the community & products, so if we just can do it in a right way...
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As I've noted in other communications, this will require expansion of maemo.org Bugzilla... and I'm all for it. (with apologies to Andre)

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-22 at 17:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I wish I could help implementing any of these solutions somehow but I lack needed coding skills atm :\
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

One of the reasons i switched from windows xp to 2000 was the annoying message i got when something crashed, asking me to submit some bug report i was sure no-one was going to read anyway. Seems like a bad idea to invite people to help by bombarding them with "it crashed, help us!!!" dialogs until they get frustrated.
Maybe an applet that would light up or change to a " ! " when something goes wrong, and then allow the user to submit an automated bug report with a pair of clicks would be both useful and unobtrusive. And, of course, somehow educating the user about how not even the best developers can solve problems that aren't reported. Perhaps nokia can be persuaded to include in the manual a paragraph about why it is good to submit any problem to the community?

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Good points MrGrim, I also think that participation should absolutely be optional and user should be bothered minimally.

If participation is accepted, all submitting should be done in background. If participation refused, user should never be asked again.

Finally, all these should depend on manually switchable settings.

Tags
improvement, involvement, mainstream