Scribe
??
??

regards,

The Gingerbread man
Archos 101

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I bought an nTablet for a fair bit less than that (same reference design as the Tegatech Tega v2 and Viewsonic 10, among others) running win7, and it suits my needs nicely (Froyo on big tablets should be avoided like the plague, and 7" is too small for my needs). It's pretty much all singing, all dancing (usb, video out, micro sdhc port, wireless n, 3g modem, win7) at a comparatively moderate cost of £430.
Additionally, a major factor is that it was available to actually buy and really genuinely own several months ago, rather than a lot of semi vapourware "releases" or the current CES crop that wont be available for 2-6 months.

Of the CES releases though if I was looking now, in the android segment it'd be a toss-up between the Xoom and Asus Eee Pad Slider, both running honeycomb (which seems infinitely more suited to 10" screens and tablets in general than Froyo), and it'd be a pretty tough call - The Xoom seems to be the generally slightly more impressive device, but the Asus has a slide-out hardware keyboard, which would be a big bonus for me.

The Eee Slate doesn't really seem comparable to many other tablets, as the $1000 price tag puts it at the very top of the price range, almost certainly way more than either above Android tablet will go to, and with very high-end specs to match.
If I literally had $1000 to blow as I see fit on an upcoming tablet though, it'd be an Eee Slate.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I would invest $1000 in the US stock market and wait till June or so for the tablet market to stabilize a bit.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
If it's a tablet that is available now:
Advent Vega / HP Slate 500 / (perhaps) iPad

If it is about a tablet in the short-future:
Notion Ink Adam / Exo-PC

If it is about a tablet in the approaching future:
Not sure, there is the Honeycomb-Tegra2's, iPad2, Playbook, HP's WebOS tablet (speculative), ultraportable Windows7 tablets.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
im happy with my n900. i carry my booklet 3g when i travel, but i just left to ces and then to LA and was gone a week, didnt have to open my laptop once!

i keep thinking about a tablet, but just seems to be that you would have to carry more "stuff"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
I'll tell you, the iPad is one sweet piece of machinery. It is very slick and well-done. It's perfect in every way. I use it mostly as a PDF reader and it's awesome. Much better than my brother's Archos 101.

Unless you want to think you own it. Or change the batteries. Or install VLC. Or multitask. Or fiddle with it. It's not yours, don't kid yourself.

If there was a PDF reader for the Archos that was as good as the iPad, then I'd tell all my buddies to go for that one. As it is, I'm telling them to wait.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I was actively looking in December, but everything besides iPAD and GalaxyTab was still half baked IMHO or unavailable in US. Tablets will turn a corner by Q22011. $1000 will be a highend tablet. The only one I am specifically looking to which is more or less a known quantity is RIM Playbook but will look around to see what else is available at that time - MeeGo, HP WebOS Slate, Motorola Xoom maybe good but a lot is unknown still. But definitely wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I would invest $1000 in the US stock market and wait till June or so for the tablet market to stabilize a bit.
Then you'd have your choice of $750 tablets.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:

Tags
meego, ubuntu