Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
OK - I'm not suggesting that Jolla sells the same device for 2 years, I'm suggesting they do so for a year, which is different, but definitely not as tight as 6 months. I expect them to launch a new device by end of 2014, which kind of matches what they announced already. I also expect them to launch a new device with at least one significant innovation, as opposed to the competition, except maybe Nokia who have always been outstanding in that area.
I'll go as far as to say that they'll even convince me to change my Jolla with a new one in under 2 years, which would be quite new for my behaviour.

Let's remember that they aren't a company with multiple engineering departments. Hell, Apple is and they do roughly a device per year (if not longer), and quite buggy for that matter (the only iThing I recall that wasn't too buggy was the 3G version, the rest had always some fault in the hardware).

EDIT: Thinking about it, if you mean that they'll tease us in 6 months's time with new hardware and deliver it around 6 months later from that, then yeah, bring it on, we are on the same page :-D
I am 99 % sure that i have seen a news article where someone from Jolla says that they are developing a new phone and it should come sometime in the second half of 2014. But I can't find anywhere that article.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
We have a profofconcept/development alpha version of sailfishoson n9 done by few great people in the community. But it take alot of time getting everything up and working so I do not expect it to be as stable as Harmattan for several reasons. But definitivly cool project.

But funny is when people expect Jolla, as company, port sailfishos for just 100EUR to a three year old AndroidHW and make it stable/fully working?

Now seriously? Do people realize how much time and resources it take to make an OS stable? Its not something that can be done in 8hours by one fully working engineer...

If you want it on a three year old HW i recomend you ask the android community for help instead. And maybe you get an alpha up running in some weeks.
With the proper driver support from hardware manufacturers that OS porting is not too much hassle for a team that has already a stable OS running.
They are supposed to be a little bit more resourceful than a 1 man hobby team reverse engineering software drivers.

My 2008 PC has plenty of choices of OS and hence feels like the best hardware investment ever, leaving me a gigantic budget for software compared to the 90's where we had to upgrade our hardware for 1000+ world currencies with every new software release.

The only reasons why technological marvels like a Galaxy Note that sport plenty of RAM will be retired and recycled too soon is because the built in obsolesce of only running Android.
Somebody needs to open up that sleeping hardware on a big scale.

There lies the future for Jolla.

Yes I am prepared to pay 100 world currency for that even more.

As for those hardware vendors that rely on free Android, sorry but we all knew that story was not going to last forever (pissing in your pants too cool down while stubbornly standing on a burning platform) Do we really have to feel sorry for Samsung? They will just go on and sell microwaves or x-ray machines or whatever they do.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-12-08 at 13:47.

Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
I am 99 % sure that i have seen a news article where someone from Jolla says that they are developing a new phone and it should come sometime in the second half of 2014. But I can't find anywhere that article.
In this comment I read it first - including source:

Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/digi/art-1288620478264.html

"- Suunnittelemme silti päivittävämme laitteistoa ensi vuoden toisella puoliskolla, jotta pysymme mukana rautapuolen kilpailussa, Saarnio kertaa."

Rough translation: We´re nevertheless planning to update the hardware during the second half of next year to keep us in the hardware competition, Saarnio concludes.

Before that he says that TOH gives the device a bit longer shelf life than normal phones, hence the "nevertheless".

"Saarnion mukaan yhtiö aikoo julkaista joka kuukausi uuden version Sailfish-käyttöjärjestelmästään. "

They´re planning to update a new version of Sailfish every month.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sounds good.

1. Squeeze out all possible devices until June
2. Lower prices to 250 Euro in June
3. Announce new device august
4. Present the device October
5. Launch and kick off 1 December

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
You do know that usually if someone in marketing says first half it means 31th of Jun 23:59, and second half means 31 of Dec 23:59.
Its just the optimistic end users that think it means 1st of Jan and 1st of Jul. Generally speaking of course.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-12-08 at 15:18.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Generally speaking of course.
Naturally

(It is true though)

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-12-08 at 15:44.

see if they dont release a keyboard other half am tempted to just get a nexus 5 and whack on sailfish if it had either A. half decent android support till native apps kick off, or B. just enough important apps. id rather see jolla waste there time making applications for there phone than porting there os to several phones. since there phone to me is sexy as phuck

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Whomever stated anything about Windows Phone 8? Don't divert into unnecessary territory.

Does anybody know the version of ACL? It's invariably not 4.4.1. And if anything, Android has shown how closely tied its performance is to the accompanying hardware.

Old or underpowered hardware means slower Android performance.

Your examples don't enforce a good investment. Just a convenient one.
Some benchmark result posted around here suggested runtime version 4.1.1 or 4.2.1 IIRC

Which is moot, as I don't think the ACL would come together with the installable sailfish, just as it isn't available for the N9.

Nobody talked about Windows Phone 8. Ste-phan compared the desktop OS situation (millions of people pay for Windows 8) so it shouldn't be thought as outrageous to pay for a phone OS.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If anyone from Jolla reading this...please have your future launch parties Fridays so people have bigger chance to attend.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If anyone from Jolla reading this...please have your future launch parties Fridays so people have bigger chance to attend.
...and in summer.

Tags
jolla, speculation