Notices

Sorry for speaking "in behalf", but i think that by this:

Originally Posted by droll
something weird is happening to my setup. i now see 2 keyboards listed by extkbd. broadcom corp. keyboard and thinkoutside keyboard - i only have the latter connected to my phone. i did pair with a sixaxis this morning after i modified /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.

how do i remove the broadcom corp. keyboard entry?
...and this:

Originally Posted by droll
it also defaults to using this keyboard all the time.
... he mean that extkbd set for him broadcom corp. keyboard as default one, even when he doesn't have it connected, or even got connected other keyboard at the moment. He also mentioned, that this can be fixed only by manual editing config file.

I would also like to mention that i NEVER encountered such problem and for me extkbd work perfectly fine.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sorry for speaking "in behalf", but i think that by this:

...and this:

... he mean that extkbd set for him broadcom corp. keyboard as default one, even when he doesn't have it connected, or even got connected other keyboard at the moment. He also mentioned, that this can be fixed only by manual editing config file.

I would also like to mention that i NEVER encountered such problem and for me extkbd work perfectly fine.

Thanks for trying to make things clearer, but what does 'default' mean, that is what I cannot understand. If it is that it is first in the list - should be no problem. Or the problem is something different. Once connected and set up, keyboards stays in list, so you can edit settings even without having particular keyboard connected. And as long as one is able to use currently connected keyboard with correct settings...

I still do not understand what the problem is, sorry.

EDIT:
Got it,
how do i remove the broadcom corp. keyboard entry?
@ droll - You cannot remove it from the UI. You have two options:
1. delete (as root) /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/99-x11-external-keyboard.fdi and re-apply settings for your new keyboard.

2. edit /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/99-x11-external-keyboard.fdi and remove extra entry.

BTW - why did you edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf by hand?

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-06-06 at 16:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
thanks. editing the fdi file fixed it. the broadcom keyboard was listed as the first item in the list when i open the extkbd ui. because it had all settings as default, that meant the keyboard language was set to afghanistan. so when i start typing, i get arabic text on my device. annoying, true, but it could be fixed by changing the broadcom keyboard language to usa and setting the appropriate layout. this tells me the n900 is defaulting to the broadcom keyboard settings when i connect my thinkoutside keyboard.

i edited it by hand because i had disableplugins = (blank) and i couldn't get my ps3 controller to pair. this was the setting i had for a long time way before you made your app compatible with the sixaxis package.

thanks again for the fix.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Hi all! I have an igo sowaway keyboard. For many months it worked great with extkbd, I configured it in december and never had to touch anything. Now however I cannot make it work, as soon as I try to connect it reports failed connection. I can pair it, I tried removing the device also reinstalling extkbd, purging bluemaemo and anything that does bluetooth, but no success. I remember a connect option in extkbd in settings, it seems to be missing now. Ive read the topics, and I saw other reports, but no solution that worked for me yet. So is this a known bug and would reverting to an old package fix things?

can't be a bug. i'm using the latest package and it works fine for me. i also have bluemaemo installed and bunch of other bluetooth related packages (sixaxis, bluetooth on/off widget).

what does your main.conf file look like?

Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Hi all! I have an igo sowaway keyboard. For many months it worked great with extkbd, I configured it in december and never had to touch anything. Now however I cannot make it work, as soon as I try to connect it reports failed connection. I can pair it, I tried removing the device also reinstalling extkbd, purging bluemaemo and anything that does bluetooth, but no success. I remember a connect option in extkbd in settings, it seems to be missing now. Ive read the topics, and I saw other reports, but no solution that worked for me yet. So is this a known bug and would reverting to an old package fix things?
In latest version 'connect' button is moved in standard BT UI, see first page

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
In latest version 'connect' button is moved in standard BT UI, see first page
Yeah, I know that. Still when I try to connect with standard BT UI, after pairing it drops connection immediately. The keyboard works with my laptop, so it cannot be faulty. My n900's bt also connects to my laptop, so it must be good as well.

This is what I do:
- I turn on the iGo keyboard, set it up in pairing mode
- I start the control panel on my N900 and start up BT
- I go to devices, Think Outside Keyboard, Edit
- I press "Connect"

At this point I get an error message: "Could not connect to Think Outside Keyboard". If I delete the connection and pair the devices again, after successful pairing I get the same error message. I'm using v47pali and CSSU15 BTW.

Are you sure BT input plugin is enabled in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf? i.e. there is no 'input' on the line starting with DisablePlugins.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Are you sure BT input plugin is enabled in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf? i.e. there is no 'input' on the line starting with DisablePlugins.
Okay, this was my "Oh sh*t!" moment. To my defense I do not know when was this changed back... THX!

Anyone find a mapping that works with the Motorola Bluetooth keyboard by any chance?

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard