Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
I have another idea, I think I'll add it as another solution too..

What if a value added application/service (for ex. Sports Tracker or Ovi Navigation) is offered freely with the optional condition of installing a "system monitor service" which will submit crash logs on user selected schedule/behavior?

This is similar to Digsby's and/or Google's very accepted* approach (grant it freely, mine back the value slowly) but should be done in Nokia's harmless way other than already offered compromising privacy.

*: considering that we are talking about the possible mainstream customers which we are targeting at the moment in this sandbox idea.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Last edited by gecebekcisi; 2009-10-27 at 00:05.

I added Solution #7 based on the idea above
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was looking at the various suggestions etc, and bringing my teddy bear head to the table, I'm not sure about the exact differences.

Perhaps if I explain where I'm at, you can tell me what to vote for!

Once I get my precious n900, I will, after a few days playing, be up for app testing. I will be happy to report problems with the following provisos:

1) I can only test anything once the troubleshooting page is clear enough for me to be absolutely sure I can restore after problems

2) The easier and more streamlined the reporting process, the better. A single 'report this?' button (much as windoze does it) is easiest for me. If I can set preferences to always do it, even better.

3) BUT (see above) I am on a limited data plan. If I can set it so that any problems are auto-reported as soon as I connect to my 'home venue' wifi, that would be perfect.

4) No, I don't need fancy incentives: being part of the community and having something I can do (given that i can't code to save my life!) is incentive enough.

What should I vote for?

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I don't need fancy incentives
I don't need too, but some people will surely need fancy incentives for motivation (that could mean more affirmative user experience for some, people like being awarded for their "hard work" ) and attraction (IMO most mainstream users won't know that they could contribute unless they're obviously offered. Remember the power of marketing )

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
What should I vote for?
If existing solutions satify you, you can vote each independently.
But if you're not satistifed, you can create new solution(s) based on your conditions and wait for feedback as I do atm

Tags
improvement, involvement, mainstream