Poll Options
Did you try Qt5 on N900?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
works in nemomobile

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
You can try raster with
/path/to/the/exec -graphicssystem raster
No, this doesn't work for QtQuick2, see e.g.: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=134824530104725 .

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by frafI View Post
No, this doesn't work for QtQuick2, see e.g.: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=134824530104725 .
Well, it's only one line... It's really quick to test it. Maybe Maemo will has "whatever" different

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Sorry, I expressed this in a bad way:

I did try your suggestion (already suspecting that it would not work) and then googled to find a reference. I just didn't use past tense to express that the reason, why it does not wok is not accidental and that it will never work that way, because of the design of QtQucik2 and Scenegraph. Recompiling with -O2 didn't work too, but since the original build was without optimization (and with -g), I had little hope in the first place.

@mikecomputing: Which libraries does Nemo mobile use?

Short update: Qt 5.1 didn't change anything as well as using the linaro toolchain (gcc4.7) with -mthumb. But at least this means that whenever we have a working QtQuick2 without the text rendering bug, we'll have a working thumb2 version, too.

I updated the wiki page and added the linaro instructions (should work with any other scratchbox toolchain, too). They are now the default way to build Qt5, but MADDE instructions should still work.

EDIT: Wiki page update done.

Last edited by frafI; 2013-07-15 at 12:20.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
I've now added an incomplete workaround for the text rendering bug in QtQuick2 (see commit). You can use the element TextWA instead of Text in QtQuick2 (it only provides properties text, font.*, and color but that's enough to work as a label). If nobody finds a real solution we may export this element as "Text" some day (with additional properties). TextWA uses a painter to render the text and so avoids the (most likely) OpenGL ES related bug.

I've also uploaded a libx11 source package to extras-devel which properly exports xcb (you need libx11-with-xcb-6 and libx11-xcb1). Be careful with this packages as libx11-with-xcb-6 replaces "/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.0". Don't reboot after the installation unless you checked that several different programs work and make sure you can enable ssh without the keyboard after reboot, if something went wrong (or use backupmenu etc.). "apt-get upgrade" will not trigger the installation in any case, as the names are different and "provides" are used.

Last edited by frafI; 2013-07-18 at 13:55.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
@mikecomputing: Which libraries does Nemo mobile use?
You might want to look at something related to libmeegotouch. On Nemo it works like charm and on Maemo has lots of problems. Might be some system build options related.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
You might want to look at something related to libmeegotouch. On Nemo it works like charm and on Maemo has lots of problems. Might be some system build options related.
I will try nemo anyway, if I find some time, so this is a good idea.

The libX11.so with xcb causes problems (keyboard does not work for non-Qt programs including hildon*), so we need an independent copy for Qt5. I named it libXc11.so and Qt5 will be linked against it from now on. I've updated the instructions in the wiki (wiki.maemo.org/Qt5-Maemo5-Development). Please update your checked out copy (if you have one), remove libQt5Widgets.so.* and plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so (those are the only libraries directly linked against X11 - a nice effect of the platform abstraction Qt5) and remake.

I accidentally also uploaded "libx11-data" with the former series of packages (libx11* +withxcb) which causes some problems now (should be identical to the standard one, but the repo produces some size mismatch), see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1360937.

Last edited by frafI; 2013-07-22 at 17:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
I will try nemo anyway, if I find some time, so this is a good idea.

The libX11.so with xcb causes problems (keyboard does not work for non-Qt programs including hildon*), so we need an independent copy for Qt5. I named it libXc11.so and Qt5 will be linked against it from now on. I've updated the instructions in the wiki (wiki.maemo.org/Qt5-Maemo5-Development). Please update your checked out copy (if you have one), remove libQt5Widgets.so.* and plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so (those are the only libraries directly linked against X11 - a nice effect of the platform abstraction Qt5) and remake.

I accidentally also uploaded "libx11-data" with the former series of packages (libx11* +withxcb) which causes some problems now (should be identical to the standard one, but the repo produces some size mismatch), see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1360937.
1/ You might look at MeeGo CE rather than nemo, as Nemo can use mlite (a subset of meegotouch)
2/ And what about putting the library into /opt/xcb/ or so?
3/ What about, as a next goal, upgrading x11 as a whole? Some packages are already in -devel. (x11proto-input-meego-dev & etc. - the names are changed).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
1/ You might look at MeeGo CE rather than nemo, as Nemo can use mlite (a subset of meegotouch)
2/ And what about putting the library into /opt/xcb/ or so?
3/ What about, as a next goal, upgrading x11 as a whole? Some packages are already in -devel. (x11proto-input-meego-dev & etc. - the names are changed).
2) Putting them to /opt/xcb only helps if we can force the fully qualified soname or use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I'd like to avoid both. But I've no problem putting the renamed libXc11.so.6 (and the xcb part) to another directory and change the paths for ldconfig, if you think this is better than optify.

3) I thought, libxau and other cause severe problems. However if they only cause problems on the stock kernel we might consider a power kernel only (and thumb only) build.

Note however that the way I've currently solved this is not a big burden for the future as a simple symlink from libXc11* to the new X11 libs can solve this (if and only if we can use them as a drop in replacement of the properly named old libs).

I'd like to make a first usable (for developers) version of Qt5 as soon as possible, because porting X11, porting Qt5 itself and porting and/or creating application with Qt5 are things that can be done in parallel by different groups. And the possible users of Qt5 (esp. QtQuick2) outnumber any other group. So if they can program slightly buggy but working programs with a (slightly) buggy Qt5 on an old (and buggy?) X11, we'll have actually stable, usable programs if we switch the back-ends to less buggy ones.

TL;DR: This works for now, helps bringing Qt5 to devs and we can change it later (without too much effort).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post: