Greetings from a new and happy N810 owner

I always arrive late to these parties, but my N810 came this week and I'm having a fine time with it.

Since my app installations are few, rather than clone, I'd like to download/ save these debs and their dependencies. Except for Foreca-Weather-Applet, these apps all come from:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...iablo/install/

Abiword 2.8.1; Advanced SystemUI, gFTP; GPE Calendar; homememfree; Midnight Commander; Opera Mobile; PortaBase; rootsh

What would be the surest way to have these debs safely stored off-line in case of a broken repository or other acts of God?

Many thanks for any advice,
Jake

Last edited by jakfish; 2015-01-24 at 16:59. Reason: Additional inofrmation

The Following User Says Thank You to jakfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Add n800 to your thread title that way it should be better

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the advice--I changed the title.

Jake

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This script (and small improvements provided by various members in follow-up posts) should do the backup for you.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...48#post1455848

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Your link and your work are very helpful. In the most current sh, were I to substitute "http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/dists/diablo/install/" in place of "nokia.com" would that work?

Or do I need to edit more?

Thanks again,
Jake

That depends on what exactly you want to achieve. The scrpt's intended purpose is to make a backup of .deb files hosted on Nokia servers for fear of those servers going offline in an unspecified but possibly near future. For that purpose, you do not need to change anything at all.

Maemo.org repositories are not that likely to disappear any time soon so the backup is not that important. But if you want to backup Maemo repositories, all you need to change is nokia.com to maemo.org. Similarly, if you want to backup literally everything, skip the grep part altogether or simply replace nokia.com with *.

This is great! So if I make the substitutions you suggest, your script will examine the deb needs of my 10 installed apps, and download just those files by examining the repos of maemo.org? Or does it download everything from maemo repos? (the latter would be difficult given so few installed apps on my device)

Actually, when I think it over, I've also manually installed some debs to get the Diablo Turbo kernel up and running. Those debs did not come from maemo.org Will that make the script complain?

What a helpful forum,
Jake

The script downloads the .deb files ("install files") for all the packages installed on your phone at the time of running the script.

Just run dpkg -l to get the list of your currently installed packages. The script uses the same list, only performing some string manipulation to get the source of each package.

Thank you for the clear instructions. I'll edit the script now, try it out, and post back.

A final thing--getnokiadebs.txt, from your post at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94272&page=2

Is that the script you would recommend?

Thank you,
Jake

The Following User Says Thank You to jakfish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakfish View Post
Is that the script you would recommend?
Of course! It's mine

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: