Yep. Another goodbye thread.

"Oh s**t, not another one!"
"Mods, please delete this thread"
"Please GTFO already!"

I know, this post is not going to help my reputation around these parts, but it's something that I had to get out of my system.

I think it is time to face some incontrovertible truths:

1. Windows Phone does not suit Nokia
What's more, it's ugly. And neither Nicki Minaj nor Green Day can do anything about it. No matter how you look at it, the stoic tiles just don't seem Nokiaesque.

2. MeeGo (Harmattan) is beautiful
MeeGo is breathtakingly beautiful. It's functional. It's elegant. It suits Nokia. It was Nokia's first truly modern OS, delivered on capable hardware. Swipe UI was a revolution. Everyone loved it. It had a real chance. It deserved one. It was scrapped because Elop thought "it wasn't ready". It was ready.

3. Going Android would have meant mega-money for Nokia

"Android is a brainless spec war"
"Nokia didn't want to become just another OEM"

The thing is, Nokia still is differentiating in hardware. WP buyers come to Nokia because they like the hardware and the Nokia brand, not because Nokia is differentiating in software. The only major soft asset Nokia has is mapping, and Nokia could have implemented Nokia Maps even on Android in order to differentiate. Of course, Google reportedly objected. Vlad Savov from The Verge says, "Collateral Damage" for Nokia, but Nokia could always have offered its mapping services alongside Google as a separate app. In any case, Maps alone was a ridiculous reason to say no to Android and mega profits.http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/10/33...possible-dream

4. A Pureview MeeGo phone would have done well
Even without Pureview, the N9 is brilliant. MeeGo+Pureview (and a modern processor) would have come across as an exclusive, exotic media device. It would have packed enough punch to penetrate the crowd of generic smartphones and make a dent. Reportedly though, Elop played a big hand in pushing Pureview out of beta and into retail.

5. Symbian died an untimely death
More than Elop, the old management bumbled here. Everyone knows that. What with years of arrogantly sitting on an old, tired UI, refusing to evolve. But it's worth noting, again, that Olli-Pekka had a plan. Nokia was capable of delivering awesome UI. Take a look at the Nokia Air concept. If Carla/Donna was going to be anything like this, then Symbian had more than a fighting chance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXaBlFNKbpk

At the very least, it is difficult to understand a world in which something as mindbogglingly beautiful and functional as Swipe UI is scrapped, and app openers such as iOS thrive.

Next week, I'm going to get a Nokia 808 Pureview. My last Nokia, and in my opinion, the last true Nokia. After that, probably Jolla. I have no idea what Jolla is going to come up with (who does?), but I hope, and believe, that they will do justice to MeeGo's and Nokia's legacy.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ujwalsoni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Erm... so what ship is it you're jumping from?

Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
Erm... so what ship is it you're jumping from?
Nokiaship to Jollaship

Nokia ship to Jolla ship?

That's more like jumping from a dingy unto a piece of driftwood. While there's a storm. And sinking (symbian + rim) ships. While only two ships are sailing fast which are Android and iOS. Oh look another sinking boat, 'tis Tizen.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
While only two ships are sailing fast which are Android and iOS.
So very true. If only they weren't sailing in exactly the wrong direction. At the rate things are going, I'll be better off using a dumb phone and a small laptop or something to get real work done...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Ah, OK. But I wouldn't really describe that as jumping ship.

I'm personally hoping Jolla are going to release something in a similar vein to the N9, sort of a 'progression' if you will. And as Elop has already sunk the SSNokia (at least as far as most of us here at TMO are concerned) I reckon anyone going with Jolla will simply be part of that progression.

So good luck to ya, and FWIW I will almost certainly be doing the same

Edit: but my N9 will be staying with me until it eventually dies.

Last edited by dumpystig; 2012-09-12 at 00:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dumpystig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Make room on the dinghy for me....

I've always been a bit of a bottom trawler. Hell, if the Pre 3 had 850mhz umts and was available in Aus, I would have dived to the bottom of that shipwreck to get one.
Whilst the lack of some functionality annoys me with my N9:
Crippled out of the box support for wifi hotspot
No skype video calls (my 2 yr old son is the main desire for this)

I still use it as my daily driver for the simple pleasure and ease of use.
I look forward to what a Jolla device will bring, and will gladly hop on the SS. RIMtanic for it's maiden vyaoge into BB10.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Glad to have some company

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ujwalsoni View Post
Glad to have some company
Ah, I'm not going to jump ship any time soon. My N900 is still working perfectly, still handling my phone calls, and still letting me edit text files in vim anywhere I go. And, unlike my previous iPhone, I can change the battery, so it doesn't have a maximum lifespan of 3 years.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jumping ship? jumping from a burning platform to another burning platform?

Either way you are actively supporting and paying for Elops war!

Isn't that embarrassing?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: