Notices

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Cairo
Hi Folks, I tried installing goldendict on easy debian since the goldendict for fremantle is not usable for me (im on latest thumb), but it failed fetching last three files (i'm using qole's v3e image), so it couldnt be installed. the repository was multimedia.debian.org or something like that (the wiki said that the repository is not recommended anymore).
I tried complete dist-upgrade to squeeze but my phone always restarted in the middle of upgrading even with the 'nice' command. Any workaround for that? Thank you.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fbnccst View Post
Hi Folks, I tried installing goldendict on easy debian since the goldendict for fremantle is not usable for me (im on latest thumb), but it failed fetching last three files (i'm using qole's v3e image), so it couldnt be installed. the repository was multimedia.debian.org or something like that (the wiki said that the repository is not recommended anymore).
If your image isn't even "full squeeze" then you run a mix of Lenny and Squeeze. Problems with installing software should be expected. Lenny isn't even supported by Debian anymore.

debian-multimedia.org has been taken over by a ukranian motorcycle club. They seem to run some ftp server but it's access is restricted. I might be wrong but I suspect they don't qualify as a trustworthy Debian repo host.
Christian Marrilat moved his repo to deb-multimedia.org, but he doesn't have Lenny either. Goldendict isn't in dmo anyways.

I tried complete dist-upgrade to squeeze but my phone always restarted in the middle of upgrading even with the 'nice' command. Any workaround for that? Thank you.
I think when I did that I had to split the dist-upgrade into small chunks of roughly 50MB download volume to prevent random reboots. Maybe that works for you too.

Have you considered to start over with a more recent image? You can get fresh Wheezy and Jessie images from qole's site that don't carry any dead weight from dist-upgrades.
And Goldendict should work well. I once had it installed on a Wheezy image I think.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
If your image isn't even "full squeeze" then you run a mix of Lenny and Squeeze.
Thank you, yes it is mix of lenny and squeeze.

I think when I did that I had to split the dist-upgrade into small chunks of roughly 50MB download volume to prevent random reboots. Maybe that works for you too.
Now that you mentioned it, can you elaborate the detail as of how to do the splitting?

Have you considered to start over with a more recent image? You can get fresh Wheezy and Jessie images from qole's site that don't carry any dead weight from dist-upgrades.
And Goldendict should work well. I once had it installed on a Wheezy image I think.
I'll try, for now, beside Qole's image, I have one of your images too, the wheezy sci-fi images ( Sulu's wheezy "Sci" modified), i tried it, said there are some unmet dependencies when installing goldendict.

Now that you mentioned it, can you elaborate the detail as of how to do the splitting?
I changed the sources.list to Squeeze and chose random combinations of packages to install, which would result in upgrading them to Squeeze.
This of course is tricky, because everytime I had to watch out what would happen.
And I made a backup of my image after each of those batches. I think the whole procedure took several days.

I'll try, for now, beside Qole's image, I have one of your images too, the wheezy sci-fi images ( Sulu's wheezy "Sci" modified), i tried it, said there are some unmet dependencies when installing goldendict.
That image is based on one of mine, but it's not made by me. So I don't know what's going on there without more details.
I asked rcolistete to change the description to avoid these kinds of misunderstandings, but what's done is done.

I linked my images I currently find useful here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3178

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Thank you, i managed to solve it by using image 2c from this post, then disable the multimedia repository.
The remaining problem is that the keyboard doesn't work on this dictionary if its launched outside lxde. I guess it has anything to do with this issue. I tried the provided solution to no avail. I ran the "Set Deb HW Keys" then pressed fn+Enter (for all I know return key = enter key?) on the dictionary window. Am I doing it wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to fbnccst For This Useful Post:
Confirmed.

I broke that function or rather never implemented it in my images. So images based on mine most likely suffer from this problem too.

Please do the following:

1. Install the packages xbindkeys and x11-utils in Easy Debian.
(Note that I once intentionally removed xbindkeys in my Wheezy images because it went crazy and drained the battery within hours with high CPU spikes every few milliseconds that also only lasted a few milliseconds. It might be hard to track that down.)

2. Within Easy Debian create an xbindkeys configuration that contains this:
Code:
# Set Debian HW Keys
"sh /path/to/qoles/script"
  m:0x80 + c:36
3. Still in Easy Debian, save qole's script to the path you just specified in the xbindkeys configuration. Delete the sudo commands (they are not needed anyways and since my images have no sudo this would even prevent the script from working). So the script should essentially look like this:
Code:
ACTIVEWINID=`xprop -root | awk '/NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW/ { print $5; exit }'`
echo $ACTIVEWINID
/sbin/qobi-wmhint-fix $ACTIVEWINID
/usr/bin/set-focus $ACTIVEWINID
Now running "Set Deb HW Keys" from Maemo should run xbindkeys in Easy Debian, which in turn sets the focus to the currently active window when pressing Fn (actually Iso_Level_3_Shift) + Return (actually KP_Enter).
For me it works with goldendict. I will implement it in my next images, unless I forget it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
So as not to forget it maybe you should set up a bugtracker/bugzilla? (on github or bugs.maemo.org or wherever

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
So as not to forget it maybe you should set up a bugtracker/bugzilla? (on github or bugs.maemo.org or wherever
That would require me to accept that I'm responsible for the project (including the Maemo packages) now which I'm not willing to do.
I'm just fumbling up images from time to time and I'd like to keep it that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
That would require me to accept that I'm responsible for the project (including the Maemo packages) now which I'm not willing to do.
I'm just fumbling up images from time to time and I'd like to keep it that way.
You can make a project called "Sulu's images for Easy Debian". This doesn't suggest that you're responsible for the whole project - only for your images

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Confirmed.

I broke that function or rather never implemented it in my images. So images based on mine most likely suffer from this problem too.

Please do the following:

1. Install the packages xbindkeys and x11-utils in Easy Debian.
(Note that I once intentionally removed xbindkeys in my Wheezy images because it went crazy and drained the battery within hours with high CPU spikes every few milliseconds that also only lasted a few milliseconds. It might be hard to track that down.)

2. Within Easy Debian create an xbindkeys configuration that contains this:
Code:
# Set Debian HW Keys
"sh /path/to/qoles/script"
  m:0x80 + c:36
3. Still in Easy Debian, save qole's script to the path you just specified in the xbindkeys configuration. Delete the sudo commands (they are not needed anyways and since my images have no sudo this would even prevent the script from working). So the script should essentially look like this:
Code:
ACTIVEWINID=`xprop -root | awk '/NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW/ { print $5; exit }'`
echo $ACTIVEWINID
/sbin/qobi-wmhint-fix $ACTIVEWINID
/usr/bin/set-focus $ACTIVEWINID
Now running "Set Deb HW Keys" from Maemo should run xbindkeys in Easy Debian, which in turn sets the focus to the currently active window when pressing Fn (actually Iso_Level_3_Shift) + Return (actually KP_Enter).
For me it works with goldendict. I will implement it in my next images, unless I forget it.
just wanna comfirm it works like charm
I think i forgot to respon to this that tham, thanks sulu

Tags
easy debian, goldendict