Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Sjgadsby and Stskeeps, thank you very much.

I'm happy now.

Well, from in-November, I'll help Mer.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I have just committed the remaining puzzle piece of N900 bootmenu (thanks to fanoush for developing this fantastic software - has come in so handy so often for myself)

If the output of "dpkg -s getbootstate" shows Version: 1.0.35+0m5 on your N900, you will be able to multiboot.

WARNING: This is only for the very daring and you should have a FIASCO image ready for reflashing and have your data backed up before even considering to try this out.

fanoush: should we consider pushing this into Fremantle Extras-devel after a bit of polishing?

The package can be found at http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/bootmenu_1.6_armel.deb and you need to dpkg -i it as root. You need rootsh installed.

For those who try it out - have fun multibooting your N900!

Some advices for those booting non-Maemo systems: Get a watchdog kicker very early in the process - this isn't handled magically for you by DSME like on 770, N8x0. It is a standard Linux watchdog interface. There's R&D flags to disable watchdogs.

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Well, from in-November, I'll help Mer.
It's November now. Are you ready?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-12-09 at 19:21. Reason: Updated to correct URL

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
It's November now. Are you ready?
Before that, I finished the software I write at this moment.

But what planned it for Mer, in the future?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would love to have some beta testers trying to figure out why the keyboard doesn't work in Debian LXDE on the N900...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I have just committed the remaining puzzle piece of N900 bootmenu
oh, totally missed this thread until today, thanks for pointing it in another thread
fanoush: should we consider pushing this into Fremantle Extras-devel after a bit of polishing?
well, go on if it works for someone :-) I won't help much until I get the device.

My ideas about bootmenu for N900:

if it will live in rootfs I plan for it to be very initfs like i.e. self-contained. It should have its own busybox environment (statically linked and/or using uclibc) and live in its own place (/boot, /initfs, maybe even chrooted) so it will work even when someone thinks apt-get (dist-)upgrade with busybox removal and libc upgrade is a good idea.

Most of the time the breakage is either messing startup sequence later in the boot order or apt-get upgrade mess. 'rm -rf' moments or flash filesystem corruption is not so likely. And having it self-contained could help with putting it somewhere else too (own initfs partition if possible, built into kernel as initramfs). When based on N8x0 uclibc initfs environment we could also have same build of all the recovery tools embedded in bootmenu for N8x0 and N900.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-11-17 at 16:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
I have just committed the remaining puzzle piece of N900 bootmenu (thanks to fanoush for developing this fantastic software - has come in so handy so often for myself)
I've just tried this on a production n900 (the ones that were just shipped) and it does not work.
Menu is displayed, but any choice leads to a device shutdown.
I've got the "out of the box" partition layout.

Fortunately, the device boots properly if the keyboard is closed so i've not bricked my n900 (yet)

The Following User Says Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
I've just tried this on a production n900 (the ones that were just shipped) and it does not work.
Menu is displayed, but any choice leads to a device shutdown.
I've got the "out of the box" partition layout.

Fortunately, the device boots properly if the keyboard is closed so i've not bricked my n900 (yet)
Yeah, the keyboard closed this is your way out Does it even do it if you select -and launch- Internal flash?

Prod me on IRC and we can debug it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Problem occurs only when the device is plugged on the USB cable, so it's not really an issue. Otherwise it works fine ... but i've only tested it with internal flash :-)

And thanks stskeeps for the help on IRC.

So were you able to boot debian or what?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
Bootmenu does not work for me. I've edited preinit to see what was the problem. It seems kernel modules for mmc card are not loaded at that time (even if i try to insmod them manually). I don't even see anything about them in dmesg (if I save it's output to file at that time). And if i try to copy lsmod output to file it results empty file at that time. And there are no mmcblk* in /dev.
What modules and in what sequence should be loaded for mmc support at boot time in preinit?

Last edited by @SR; 2009-12-03 at 18:03.

Tags
alternative os, android, bootloader, diversity on n900?, kexec, linux, more freedom?, n900, operating system