Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I guess same reason as ppl wanna install Android, WP, Firefox, Sailfish, Nemo et al....
These are all still developed systems.
But why would one want doubly obsoleted one?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
These are all still developed systems.
But why would one want doubly obsoleted one?
Because some of us still believe fremantle is way better than the other mobile OSes out there.

Also, it seems that getting it running on n950 will bring lots of experience what one would expect on the HW acceleration part of porting to Neo900, I am still thinking if I should start trying to do it. Or maybe the first step should be updating the SGX drivers on n900. I am undecided yet...

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Because some of us still believe fremantle is way better than the other mobile OSes out there.

Also, it seems that getting it running on n950 will bring lots of experience what one would expect on the HW acceleration part of porting to Neo900, I am still thinking if I should start trying to do it. Or maybe the first step should be updating the SGX drivers on n900. I am undecided yet...
Fremantle on N950 will be undoubtedly better than Harmattan which is designed for N9. Really hope to see Fremantle run in 1GB native ram and better CPU with N950 form factor. I would give up harmattan for that...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Sure. I second that.
I also think that Maemo is the first best thing since sliced bread.

But why revert to Maemo 5, while you have Maemo 6 on N950 already?
Sure, Qt is heavy and Hildon is more desktop like experience. But forward-porting Hildon Desktop to Maemo 6 may be more worthwhile than puling the whole OS a generation back.
Even the closed Hildon parts should be trivial to forward port, as these do not use FP much.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Sure. I second that.
I also think that Maemo is the first best thing since sliced bread.

Sure, Qt is heavy and Hildon is more desktop like experience. But forward-porting Hildon Desktop to Maemo 6 may be more worthwhile than puling the whole OS a generation back.
Even the closed Hildon parts should be trivial to forward port, as these do not use FP much.
MeeGo/Maemo 6 doesn't necessarily mean better than Maemo 5, as I feel MeeGo is more like a mobile phone OS (for N9) rather than a mobile computer OS. As N950 has landscape hw keyboard and MeeGo doesn't have much use of it, I feel Frementle is more suitable for it. Also N950 has a very good hardware to run it.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2013-12-28 at 22:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
As said above, + you have clear practical confirmation, via fact, that people are aiming to bring Fremantle to Neo900, *not* Harmattan. Of course, I'm sure someone will try to port *anything* to Neo900 at some point, due to relatively high openness of hardware, but I don't expect it to happen before Fremantle, and I don't think that anything (except maybe some Mer and plain Debian implementation) will come close to daily use usability.

If someone tries to port Harmattan there, project will wind up dead even quicker than Cordia, IMO - Harmattan is just plain inferior system implementation. Too limited for majority of either Neo900 or N950 target audience.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, maemo, meego, nokia, ubuntu