Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
I've put the VM on my N800 - works pretty well!

One problem has been HandyShopper, a quick list-maker. The .PRC program file installed with no problems but it won't load my data file, possibly because it has a .DAT extension.

Where are the VM data files located? Can I manually copy the .DAT to that location?

DateBk6 works very well, PhoneMagic won't run, Secret! works well, Speedy seems to work but shows the N800 as being extremely slow compared to other "real" Palm-OS machines, Filez runs just fine but seems to only see VM's memory (can't use it to access or copy files from the SD), Sudoku from Astraware runs quickly without problems, eReader-PRO works well.

As my Palm T3 is on its very last legs and the HP iPAQ 211 is not due out till next year this Garnet-VM came along just in time!

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
I can tell you where files are but there doesn't seem to be a way to 'mount' the main VM file. It is a good way to make a copy though, I've lost everything once (mess'n with the config files manually )

Ok, use xterm or ssh to your N8xx, and check out /usr/bin/gvm.
You'll find main config files here (save an original if you want to play) - no changing the resolution doesn't stretch the screen or put the display into landscape mode - I tried
The next place is /home/user/.gvm - this is where your VM data is stored. It's a file called gvm.store (wonder if vmware's mount program would work - hmmmm, not likely but who know, I haven't tried it). There is also some more config files here.

That's as far as I am. I'll post more if I find out more, or maybe someone else has already found how to mount it.

Karl

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
A small update - nope vmware-mount won't do it Still checking for other utils. Maybe I'll email Access Support and see if they have anything.

I think the .gvm/gvm.store file is pretty much in a closed format. If you hexdump it you can see prc and pdb data in there, but the content's been reorganized a bit. It could be that the file (except for, I guess, a header, and maybe a "ROM" part) is laid out a bit like a physical Palm PDA memory image. But I don't know if that's documented by anyone. FileZ seems to be able to interact with it through API calls. But, as FileZ can't actually send anything through BT or otherwise (unlike on a physical Palm PDA) there doesn't currently seem to be a way to get e.g. .pdb files out of there.. which is a pity. I can easily transfer .pdb files from my T3 applications to the N800/GVM, but I can't transfer them back.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-11-23 at 11:44.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by SkwrHdz View Post
I've put the VM on my N800 - works pretty well!

DateBk6 works very well, PhoneMagic won't run,
Did you do anything special to get Datebk6 to run? I keep getting "Getting Size Failed" when I launch.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I think the .gvm/gvm.store file is pretty much in a closed format. If you hexdump it you can see prc and pdb data in there, but the content's been reorganized a bit. It could be that the file (except for, I guess, a header, and maybe a "ROM" part) is laid out a bit like a physical Palm PDA memory image. But I don't know if that's documented by anyone. FileZ seems to be able to interact with it through API calls. But, as FileZ can't actually send anything through BT or otherwise (unlike on a physical Palm PDA) there doesn't currently seem to be a way to get e.g. .pdb files out of there.. which is a pity. I can easily transfer .pdb files from my T3 applications to the N800/GVM, but I can't transfer them back.
i know this post was from a while ago, but EzFTP (i can send u the .prc if u need t) can actually browse the database files. infact, that's all the damn thing does. i've installed docs to go by dataviz, and on a real palm, it'll save a .doc and a .pdb file. but when i browse for files to send with EzFTP (the wifi works) it just lists the database .pdb files. so im guessing yours could work with that.

www.drivehq.com
1GB free FTP

for a real ftp login, it's just ftp.drivehq.com and then user name & pw

Ah, that's interesting. I was just (while replying to another thread, discussing the problem of getting data out of GFM) thinking about the fact that it can see the network.. so if there was a network application..

I didn't know about EzFTP. Will look it up. I wonder if it would be able to ftp to localhost.. i.e. the N8x0 itself. Installing an ftp server on the NIT shouldn't be a problem.

I was able to get my HS data files into Garnet VM by...
  • performing a Hotsync operation on my old Palm
  • connecting the N900 to the PC via USB in mass storage mode
  • on the PC, going to the "Backup" folder under my owner ID, and dragging the [HSdatabasename].PRC files onto the N900
  • disconnecting the N900 from the PC, and using Garnet VM's "Install" button on the database .PRC files

All my shopping and To Do lists were there next time I launched the HS app in GVM. However...any changes I make in any of the Palm apps within GVM persist only as long as that GVM session is running. As soon as I terminate GVM and launch it again, the state of everything reverts back to exactly as it was when I first installed the database .PRC files.

Does anyone know how to set this up so that changes within the Palm apps running under GVM get recorded permanently?

The Following User Says Thank You to dgustavson For This Useful Post:
Re dgustavason's note above - I'm another person seeking an answer...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by dazzakoh View Post
Re dgustavason's note above - I'm another person seeking an answer...
This post should help.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=485132&postcount=7

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:

Tags
garnet, palm