Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Not quite sure.

I am guessing, one corruption does not kill ALL and organizing, or maybe there is a cap on the capacity for one then now you can have 8? I dont know. I use only 2, slot1 and slot2 for organizing and conveniency

Another topic. I installed TCPMP and works somewhat OK. The strange thing is it crash upon loading, every now and then!!! It does not crash all the time and it does not load all the time. I just finished installing. And it wont load, it crashed. I couple hours later, I was bored, I clicked it, and it loaded and open and run! I done with it, and closed it, and now it wont load. Witchcraft! Pockettune 5.0.0 just refuse to load, be it on slot1 or ram.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-06-07 at 18:30.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
There is no cap, other than individual file size limit.

You can also make each slot point to a different "host" directory.

Very disappointed, I ran into a cap of ~580 Mb on slot 0. Not quite sure about other slots.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Very disappointed, I ran into a cap of ~580 Mb on slot 0. Not quite sure about other slots.
Which kind of cap?

Native PalmOS has a card size limit of 4 GiB, much greater than ~580MiB. But GarnetVM is not using the PalmOS FAT driver, but rather just pointing the VFSFile* PalmOS functions to the Linux' open, read, write, close, etc. ones. So there can't be a cap.

E.g. I have two slots, 0 and 1, respectively mapped to mmc1 and mmc2. The first one has nearly 1 GiB of data (including MyDocs, navicore maps, and program data). The second one has nearly 3 GiB of data, including pictures, videos, and music, and even DocumentsToGo indexes its whole contents.

If you're talking about the FILE size limit instead, then I don't know. Native PalmOS is said to be capped at ~120MiB.

I am talking about slot cap size limit, not file size. I have a file 570 Mb in slot 0 and it reported 13 kB space left. I deleted the file, it still has only 13 kb space. I am going to remove and recreate the card, see whether that would regain space. For the time being I made slot1 and finished my backup from rescoExplorer.

Recently I noticed, I can no longer launch gvm thru xterm,

/user/bin/gvm/gvm -a applicationfile

It pointed me to the perference and failed to see any apps......weird. I used to be able to do that. Not quite sure where to look. The only difference is I am NOT installing gvm, instead, I cloned the whole OS, but that should not make any difference, should it?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-07-09 at 13:50.

Unless you have any app checking for free space before allowing you to write files (in which case you're in trouble), you can safely ignore the free space value PalmOS gives.
As I said, PalmOS itself is limited to 4GiB so it gives funny values if card/slot size is > 4 GiB.

Yes, RescoExplore Backup check space and prompted "space is not enough for backup, go ahead anyway?" I chickened out. I would now proceed and see what happens.

bun

...Recently I noticed, I can no longer launch gvm thru xterm,

/user/bin/gvm/gvm -a applicationfile

It pointed me to the perference and failed to see any apps......weird....
It goes that page whenever it crashed. It has no meaning. I start another xterm, it works.

bun

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Hey, the whole gvm community listen: zehjotkah is RIGHT! All one has to do is to copy, by whatever means you can, .prc to the SD card, \Palm\Launcher, and the app will run, no need for gvm installation...well, most of the time. Thank you zehjotkah. Two exceptions, if the app requires data dl from a server or requires a particular library, one still have to do installation via gvm. However, most of the apps, if it is a stand-alone.prc, you can just go! WOW. And of course, they would NOT wipe-out on a crash.

A little bit recap for the totally uninitiated, or for my own sake if I have to follow myself in the future

To create SD cards slots,

mkdir ~/.gvm/cards #only have do it once
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0 #SD-1
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/1 #SD-2 and etc
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/2
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/3
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/4
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/5
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/6
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/7

I think you can have upto 8 SD cards, I am using SD-1 and SD-2 and they work beautifully.

Once the cards are created, I use Zlauncher to assess them.

None of the above credits to bunanson, ALL 'stole' from this forum, YEH!

Some good links for palm apps,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20558
http://mytreo.net/downloads/documents-to-go,817.html
http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/utilities.shtml
Zlauncher, http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dl...er%2FZL545.zip

enjoy,

bun
OK, I have only gotten into the xterm once and that was a copy/paste thing...so with the above info, it doesn't look quite right to me for another copy and paste.

FYI, I only want to access my NIT's 4GB SD Card so with that, what do I just open xterm and paste in?

Sorry, but I have learned it is better to clarify than rush in...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
OK, I have only gotten into the xterm once and that was a copy/paste thing...so with the above info, it doesn't look quite right to me for another copy and paste.

FYI, I only want to access my NIT's 4GB SD Card so with that, what do I just open xterm and paste in?

Sorry, but I have learned it is better to clarify than rush in...
It's always best to be sure of something.

So here it is. Highlight then copy this.

mkdir ~/.gvm/cards
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0

Open X Terminal.

Select Paste. You might need to press [Return] if both commands aren't executed.

You will now have a PALM/Launcher folder on your 4 Gig SD card.

So easy a caveman can do it.

Hey, I'll be online around 1:00 to 3:00 am later tonight, EST.

I can walk you through whatever you need then if you're also available.

Tags
gvm, gvm browser, palm