Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
It's all just text, and if you get over your GUI obsession, just use Vim or Emacs and homebrew your own. I use Vim as a personal wiki, and it works A LOT better than any of the specially tailored wikis.
My Dad used to tell me something analogous about finding the right woman, but appearance, I find, does matter.

However, if you would like to post a jpeg of what you do with Vim, I'd be interested to see it.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

have you tried evernote... wait before you flame me hear me out... evernote is basically an imap service with a fancy web / desktop interface that can be accessed anywhere you have a web connection.... i created an evernote imap email account on my n810 and it works with modest so i have a copy of my notes on my machine and it is backed up in the cloud and updating is as simple as sending an email message

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
have you tried evernote... wait before you flame me hear me out... evernote is basically an imap service with a fancy web / desktop interface that can be accessed anywhere you have a web connection.... i created an evernote imap email account on my n810 and it works with modest so i have a copy of my notes on my machine and it is backed up in the cloud and updating is as simple as sending an email message
@prk60091 It sounds like, on your Tablet, you have the notes you sent to Evernote from your Tablet but not anything that got into Evernote by any other means. And you don't actually have access to Evernote except when online? So when you aren't online, you can't really search all the stuff you've stored on Evernote? Am I following this right?

If I'm not right, I'd like to hear more. If I'm right, though, it doesn't sound like it would do what I personally want.

OTOH, mNotes is coming along nicely enough and I hope will come pretty close to what I wanted.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
@prk60091 It sounds like, on your Tablet, you have the notes you sent to Evernote from your Tablet but not anything that got into Evernote by any other means. And you don't actually have access to Evernote except when online? So when you aren't online, you can't really search all the stuff you've stored on Evernote? Am I following this right?

If I'm not right, I'd like to hear more. If I'm right, though, it doesn't sound like it would do what I personally want.

OTOH, mNotes is coming along nicely enough and I hope will come pretty close to what I wanted.
i use evernote 3 ways
1. with my winxp machine i add to evernote using their application
2. my laptop uses os x 10.4.x evernote does not support 10.4 so i use the web interface
3. on my n810 i created an imap account in modest using the instructions found here http://evernote.com/about/support/imap.php

because imap allows all the messages to appear on multiple places i always have a complete set of my notes on my n810 on or off line

i have actually gotten in to the habit of emailing to my evernote box an url or something i want to keep track of and voila it is available on the web app or their xp app or in my imap email box

i have started to email my delicious links to evernote as well i now own my data whatever happens to evernote/yahoo/delicious or whoever

The Following User Says Thank You to prk60091 For This Useful Post:
What the heck, here's a great excuse to resurrect this thread and see if anyone out there wants to make a Tablet QuickDex:

David Pogue, the NY Times' tech columnist, just published a column called: "Pogue’s Productivity Secrets Revealed."

In it, he offers very little in the way of software recommendations apart from this:

"I know where everything is. Years ago, I started using an address-book program that's now called iData 3. It's a freeform database, meaning that the 'cards' in this database don't have separate fields for Name, Street, City and so on; instead, you can type or paste whatever you want into each freeform card.

"This program doesn't play well with field-based contact managers like Google's or the iPhone's, but the beauty is that it holds whatever you want: recipes, brainstorms, article fragments, driving directions, lists, Web addresses and so on. And you can find anything in a fraction of a second. (Actually, iData now lets you create field-based databases as well, but my freeform database has been growing since about 1988 and I'm not about to convert it.)"

So what's this iData? As the iData website makes clear, it's just the successor to QuickDex, and it's available for the Mac and for the iPhone.

In other words, David Pogue, probably America's best-known technology journalist, has been using QuickDex since 1988, and it's largely to QuickDex that he ascribes his high productivity.

Also, for anyone tempted to create a NIT QuickDex app, I think BrentDC has already a very large portion of the coding in his Quick Clip viewer.

If you're interested, I explain more about QuickDex in Post #1 of this thread; and I put in a link there for downloading the Windows version of QuickDex. (I also put in a link for the Mac Classic QuickDex, but I just checked and it's dead. If anyone is interested, post a request and I'll get one back up into the cloud.)

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Conboy might be almost exactly what you are looking for, provided that its Author implements searching in full text. Try to ask nim - you'll find him in the forums.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Conboy might be almost exactly what you are looking for, provided that its Author implements searching in full text. Try to ask nim - you'll find him in the forums.
Thanks, and you've hit one of my 2 primary problems with Conboy. The other is that it sprays windows all over the place. I can see how some people might like that, but for this type of app, I strongly prefer greater simplicity.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thanks, and you've hit one of my 2 primary problems with Conboy. The other is that it sprays windows all over the place. I can see how some people might like that, but for this type of app, I strongly prefer greater simplicity.
There is some refactoring going on at the moment, this will (amongst other things) reduce the code dependencies between the content of a note and it´s user interface. So maybe I´ll implement a single window mode some day. No promise though

Anyways, full text search will come for sure...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
QuickNote might be an alternative, better than mnote in my opinion.

Just a By-the-Way ...

There's a QuickDex-like app for iPhones/touch I just came across, called Dexy.

As its homepage says, "Dexy is the spiritual descendent of old-school programs like QuickDEX for Macintosh and Cardfile for Windows."