Notices

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Hi,

I opened a new garage project for DXX-Rebirth. Up to now only D1X-Rebirth is done, not sure when D2X-Rebirth will work.
The current version is using a up to now unreleased Open GL ES port initially done by v66r for the Beagle Board (Thanks again for your work if you should read this ). This version still got some bugs (A memory leak after playing for some time that causes messed up textures and low fps, no screenshots...), but it's already playable. But it's still experimental and may cause problems. You've been warned, so if your N900 explodes it's your own fault
I have also done some other modifications to make it usable on the N900. You can use Shift+Backspace instead of ESC to go back in menus and so on. The other hardcoded shortcuts can be seen after pressing Ctrl+K while playing.
The Zoom/Volume-Keys can be used as game controls too since I disabled the usual volume-functionality inside the game (I'm using them as fire keys and they're doing pretty good so far ).

Another application I really recommend is Accelemymote, that makes the accelerometer usable in D1X-Rebirth as joystick. It can be started automatically when D1X-Rebirth is started by creating the file ~/.d1x-rebirth/amm-autostart.
Code:
touch ~/.d1x-rebirth/amm-autostart
Thanks a lot for this great piece of software Flandry

To install D1X-Rebirth, you have to install it from extras-devel or download d1x-rebirth_0.55.1-5maemo1_armel.deb and libphysfs1_2.0.1-1maemo1_armel.deb and install them. After you've installed them, copy the Descent 1 game data files descent.hog and descent.pig (Both filenames have to be lowercase) to /opt/d1x-rebirth/. You need version 1.4a of the game data files, so maybe you have to patch them.
You have to choose joystick in options/controls to use Accelemymote, mouse if you want to use the touchscreen or set keys for pitch/turn if you just want to use the keyboard.
That's it, have fun

Last edited by LordNelson; 2010-05-15 at 15:23.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to LordNelson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Works great, looks good

Tried to find the source some time ago, but no luck, thanks.

It will be good if mouse look is enabled by default (it is easier to steer with the touchscreen) and if the screen resolution is set to 800x480 (5x3).

A problem - after the screen fell asleep the whole application freezed and couldn't be killed (from ssh because the task manager wasn't responding too)..

Last edited by Bundyo; 2010-05-03 at 21:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Works great, looks good
Thanks

It will be good if mouse look is enabled by default (it is easier to steer with the touchscreen) and if the screen resolution is set to 800x480 (5x3).
Prefer to use Accelemymote myself but good idea for people using the touchscreen for steering, will add this in the next version. 800x480 as default resolution is already planned beside a adapted default keymapping. Will also move the binary to /opt/ since it's pretty large.

A problem - after the screen fell asleep the whole application freezed and couldn't be killed (from ssh because the task manager wasn't responding too)..
Tried to reproduce this but no success yet... what did you do before the screen fell asleep (Playing, menu, something else)?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks for porting this. You know, if I was writing that first post in this thread, I would have put Descent in large letters near the top and the thread title to draw people's attention to what this really is ;-) I'm cool if you want to keep this low-key for now, though.

Changed the title to clarify that it's a port of Descent 1
At least in theory... looks like it takes some time to get updated.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
Thanks

Prefer to use Accelemymote myself but good idea for people using the touchscreen for steering, will add this in the next version. 800x480 as default resolution is already planned beside a adapted default keymapping. Will also move the binary to /opt/ since it's pretty large.

Tried to reproduce this but no success yet... what did you do before the screen fell asleep (Playing, menu, something else)?
I was in the menu - I think in the resolution edit box, but not sure.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
I lust after descent and descent 2. The 2 D's are like a big pair of titties that I lay my head on and fall asleep. The resulting blissful dream is the playing experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to shinkamui For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This is a dream come true! Definitely going to give this a go real soon.
Does it also work with the shareware version? Or do you really need the full version, which unfortunately is still commercial.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
Changed the title to clarify that it's a port of Descent 1
At least in theory... looks like it takes some time to get updated.
Although you can change the subject line on the first post, this doesn't change the thread title itself. You need to ask a moderator to do this. Probably best method to draw this to their attention is to click the Report Post icon in top-right.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-05-04 at 12:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
I was in the menu - I think in the resolution edit box, but not sure.
Hmmm, no problems here so far but I'll keep an eye on it

Originally Posted by Darkwolf View Post
This is a dream come true! Definitely going to give this a go real soon.
Does it also work with the shareware version? Or do you really need the full version, which unfortunately is still commercial.
It should work with the shareware-version too, haven't tried it out though.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Although you can change the subject line on the first post, this doesn't change the thread title itself. You need to ask a moderator to do this. Probably best method to draw this to their attention is to click the Report Post icon in top-right.
Yep, looks like it just changes the subject of the first post. Will try out the report post link, thanks